No announcement yet.

SomerSex - County championship 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice out at the oval for a meaningless cc game.

How do county caps work? Dan Moriarty was awarded his 2nd XI Cap by Surrey

Comment

Well that was nice. A Cook scored a century, Surrey didn't seem to have much of a plan, eight players bowled, 299/2

Comment

I think each county has their own system for allocating caps - some award them as soon as you play for the county, others require several seasons as a regular player.

Comment

Cheers.

This morning I'm wondering about the people who choose to sit side on to the wicket. I've never been able to follow the ball from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
            I think each county has their own system for allocating caps - some award them as soon as you play for the county, others require several seasons as a regular player.
            And some award then for specific performances

And some abolish them and expunge all records of them having existed

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
              Cheers.

This morning I'm wondering about the people who choose to sit side on to the wicket. I've never been able to follow the ball from there.
              Might depend where your pavilion / long room is?

Comment

Oh yes if you're at a club or a smaller ground with limited seating. But I'm back at the Oval today, it's not full by a long way yet there are still people at square leg/point.

Comment

Like Durham, for example?

Comment

I said smaller ground so yes.

God, I'm getting too used to Surrey. Hove is off to the side as well.

Comment

Cook goes for 165. A lovely inning.

Is keV around? I don't recall seeing him on here recently

Comment

If you mean Kevin S , then yes he posted last week.

Comment

Cook is absolutely ageless, in terms of appearance, isn't he? In a photo from yesterday, he could be an up and coming young opener, not England's long-retired Test record holder

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                            It's nice out at the oval for a meaningless cc game.

Because I had so many tickets cancelled at The Oval in early summer due to covid capacity reductions they offered me a load of comps which I have converted to tickets for every day of Surrey v Glamorgan next week.

I had initially hoped to see all of every day's play but work has picked up in recent weeks and that along with other commitments might limit what I do see. The weather may get in the way too, of course.

Is there anything riding on the match? I know it was touched on above but I can't make any sense of the County Championship tables, especially given both teams appear in two seperate tables.

Comment

Ta for the mention

New job as of last year, which is somewhat busier than the old one, and daytime sport watching has taken a big hit as a result basically. Did enjoy the Blast quarter finals though. Is anyone going to Edgbaston on Saturday?
                              ​​​

Comment

George Dobell has given his notice at Cricinfo, which is a tremendous loss for the site

Comment

Somerset with another sub-100 total and follow on against Lancs

Talk about a season of two halves

Comment

That's a shame re: Dobell, the county conscience of Cricinfo. Not sure the site will be as distinctive without voices like him.

Comment

It definitely won't be, but the Mouse has clearly decided that their profits will be enhanced by appealing to a different demographic.

I wonder if he will end up at Wisden or free lance. The number of steady gigs is very small and shrinking.

Comment

Ray de Galles just prize money I think. Not that there will be much of that. There was talk that positions would affect seeding next year but I don't think the format is sorted for 2022.

If you do end up going be prepared for a feeling that Surrey are packing up. Very few bars open and the only food for the Essex game was a 3rd party pizza van. Even the espresso place was shut.

Thankfully the long room has a coffee bar but they aren't baristas
                                        Last edited by Levin; 14-09-2021, 11:07.

Comment

I bet they wish it was raining in Taunton. Somerset have a 31 run lead with a wicket left.

I have 4 weeks holiday to take before the end of the year so took off next week to go to the Glamorgan game. Given the weather that may not have been my wisest decision. I have guest tickets for the game if anyone wants to come along for a day. I say come along, I'm feeling more than usually down so I'm not sure I'm really up for company, but hit me up if you want to see how much nicer the pavilion is compared to the rest of the ground.

Comment

Somewhat surprisingly (to me, anyway) Hampshire are top of the table after defeating Nottinghamshire in another low scoring affair. Their match against Lancashire next week could well decide the Championship, Lancashire being 4 points behind in second.

Comment

I'm really starting to dislike this second phase format. The half points carried over are annoying. It doesn't feel like it's the culmination of a season. Teams should have been rewarded more if they'd won all their games in the first two thirds.

Comment

George Dobell has given his notice at Cricinfo, which is a tremendous loss for the site
                                                It is indeed. His stuff for the Cricketer is always very good too, particularly his intra-columnist beef with reactionary old arse Michael Henderson.

Is there a live stream for Surrey v Essex about anywhere by the way? Can only find action from previous days on the club sites.

Comment

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                                    X