SomerSex - County championship 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SomerSex - County championship 2021

As I look out on my garden, buried under 20 cms of snow, I am comforted by the signs of spring. The storks are here (though suffering), some crocuses burst out before being buried in snow, and Easter has come and gone. And today the cricket starts. With online coverage with multiple cameras and commentary teams. Free. (it says here)

Yorkshire really haven't been that successful since the 60s have they? Not having a dig, just looking at the history of the competition, amazed that Glos, Northants or Somerset haven't won it at all, even by chance in 120 editions.

Has there ever been a time when the county championship hasn't been blamed for the failings of the England team? The most recent patch has been to make draws equal to ties points wise to encourage digging in. I'm not sure it'll really change anything though. Surely the simplest thing would be to not dump all your fixtures at the far reaches of the season?

Comment

Notts haven't won a game for nearly three years, so expectations are low. I'm looking forward to the free live coverage, if only to see quite how many jumpers they're all going to be wearing (it's bloody cold today)

Comment

We've won it three times since 1968, which is twice more than Lancashire. We have been remarkably consistent in recent years, not like counties like Middlesex or Notts who seem to oscillate between extremes in performance. When the fixtures came out I was quite enthused by the increase in Saturday cricket, now I'm glad I don't have to think about going this weekend given the forecast.

I don't like the increase in points for draws, surely that just means we'll go back to like it was roughly a decade ago when everything was played on pitches more befitting a timeless Test.

I'm sure Somerset will find an imaginative way to not win the Championship again. Perhaps they'll finish second then win the Bob Willis Trophy.

Comment

With OT being used the boost in points for draws improves Lancs chances no end.

Comment

Derbyshire 0/2 not the best of starts.

I thought Cricinfo had put the score Aussie style for a second.
            Last edited by Levin; 08-04-2021, 10:13.

Comment

Oh bloody hell everything is on YouTube. How am I meant to get any work done this summer? Yorkshire have just taken their second wicket, David Lloyd left one from Matthew Fisher which swung back in and clipped off stump. They keep showing the scoreboard to introduce the new batsman (Billy Root in this case). Give us the full experience and tell us what Graham is cooking in the indoor school for lunch.

Comment

Surrey also two down at Bristol

Derbyshire scored their first run on the 29th delivery

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                  Oh bloody hell everything is on YouTube. How am I meant to get any work done this summer?
                  Working from never felt like such a good idea!

Already seen Jake Ball take two wickets.

Comment

Glamorgan already 29/3 in the Rootout at Headingley, a reassuring constant in these tumultuous times.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-04-2021, 10:56.

Comment

Lancashire have Sussex at 14/3 which is a promising start.

Comment

Derbyshire and Sussex also three down for less

Appears to be a day for the bowlers

Comment

Middlesex going at more than five an over, but two wickets down

Comment

Sussex have taken 14 overs to score 14 - highlighting Jimmy Anderson’s influence on the younger Lancashire seamers.

Comment

Either Grace Road is on quite a slope, or the camera needs straightening.

Comment

Tom Haines of Sussex is currently on 81 not out from a Sussex total of 114/5. This would be an outstanding ton if he makes it. He looks a very good player.

Comment

Surrey in a spot of bother

144 for 6 at Bristol

Comment

Two centuries already at Leicester, though unsurprisingly neither for the home team as Hampshires Tom Alsop and especially James Vince make hay against some, lets be polite here as it's the first game of the season, pretty ordinary bowling. Yet another long season in store for the Foxes.

Comment

What was the logic behind splitting the traditional format into two divisions - purely a monetary exercise, presumably. And will Cheshire ever enter the senior ranks?

Comment

No, nothing to do with money. It's never about money. The counties make no money from the championship, it comes from the ECB. They may make money on T20s but I don't know.

If there is a change in the way the championship works you are unlikely to go wrong with saying that it's to improve the England team.

Comment

The rationale behind the creation of two divisions was aimed at improving the standard of players for England - the thinking was that, in the First Division, the better counties (with the better players) would be playing each other more frequently and so there would be a higher level of competition. I think that it was also felt that the two division format would mean more counties having something to play for for more of the season - in the old format many counties would be (realistically, if not mathematically) out of the running for the championship by the start of June and spend the rest of the summer trying to look engaged in whether they finished 11th or 12th.

I think it's highly unlikely that Cheshire will ever move up to First Class status. Durham were the last to make the step, in 1992, seventy one years after the second last (Glamorgan). There is a huge difference in the finances and infrastructure required between the County Championship and the NCCA Championship (previously known as Minor Counties Championship). The first class counties all have their own permanent grounds and have fully professional squads, employed to play 80-85 days each summer. The minor counties use various club grounds and use mostly amateur players, drawn from the local leagues. They would also need to find a way of persuading the existing First Class counties that it would be in their interests to split the revenue coming from the ECB 19 ways rather than 18.

Comment

No shot offered by Rhodes second ball and out. Warks now 0/1. Derby made 189

Comment

But the 1st class counties play too much cricket has been a refrain for the entirety of my life. Which is very much an ECB problem not a problem for the counties.

A county could, even with perfect weather, only have 74 days of cricket this year.

Comment

Well done Glamorgan, coming back from 132/7 to end on 310/8. Derbyshire the only county to complete their innings today.

Good to see some test playing names on scoresheets as well.

Comment

Bloody hell!

https://twitter.com/homeofcricket/status/1380230824004612096?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                  X