No announcement yet.

SomerSex - County championship 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, Stoneman falls without adding to his overnight score.

Comment

Middlesex could try a bit harder. A touch over 6 an over would win it.

Comment

Well they left it too late in the end. A brief rain delay took them from 13 overs remaining to 7.

I'm slightly surprised that even one match ended in a result. Worcestershire's tendency to draw firmly ended now.

Comment

The Oval should really have more than one place where you can get a latte

Comment

Ugh, I'm in the shade

Comment

Well, this isn't the game with all the wickets apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                The Oval should really have more than one place where you can get a latte
                Just the little van by the Alec Stewart Gate again?

The weather for you could not be more different than I experienced there last week.

Comment

Oof, just seen the score from Old Trafford. And this after a partnership of 27*

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

The weather for you could not be more different than I experienced there last week.
                    <different than> hard stare warning

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

That's the one.

Yes, it's been really nice, sadly my allocated seat is in the shade so it's never been very warm. Just a nice, temperate, spring day.

The more I look at the new stand, the more it annoys me. Pillars blocking sightlines in the 21st century?

Comment

This seems an appropriate thread, as he was a feature of county cricket coverage for so long: an obituary for the Guardian's David Foot, by Matthew Engel. One of the finest reporters of his era.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-foot-obituary

Comment

Batting at 2.8 an over isn't going to win games. 150 for Amla though.

How's everyone else doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

How's everyone else doing?
                            Let's not speak of it

Comment

How does Glos get to be "The Shire"?

Comment

The thing I think about Essex is that they occasionally seem to be struggling but then you look away for a bit and then you glance back and they're on the verge of winning.

Surrey batting through 5 sessions for 400 runs has deadened the game a bit. Hopefully Gloucs can bat steadily.

Comment

It was not to be. Surrey win by an innings before a delayed lunch. Glos finally defeated.

How can 2 win and 2 loss surrey be within 6 points of 4 win 1 loss Gloucestershire?

Yorks grimly hanging on.

Still three counties to get wins this season.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SaqMahmood25/status/1399049609767497732

Good win for the Bears as well as Notts fall back into bad habits

Comment

Off to Derby this morning for Derbyshire vs Warwickshire. Never heard of any of the Derbyshire players. Anyway looking forward to the day out and the whole enjoying the sunshine while watching cricket thing.

Comment

Matt Critchley, leg spinning all rounder is the Derbyshire player currently most likely to be poached by Nottinghamshire or Yorkshire.

Comment

Derbyshire and Kent the only counties not to win so far this year.

I know that the points system has been horribly bulky for all of living memory but it really is ridiculous.

Comment

Northants showing how to do things, 103 at a tad over 5 an over. Everyone else crawling along, the worst of the bunch being Sussex with 38/2 from 22 overs. Although there could be an argument that Somerset's 42/4 from 20 is a worse score.

Comment

An enjoyable day out, the first day at Derby this season at which non members were allowed in (I think members only were in last week) - my brother and two nephews are members but I couldn't have gone with them otherwise. It was actually sold out (though obviously way below capacity) and is tomorrow too apparently. Probably helped by the fact that it's half term - a fair number of grandfather grandkids groups.

Derbyshire didn't bowl badly with Conners especially dangerous, but unfortunately he appeared to be the only real danger. After his first spell disposed of two wickets the first session meandered to lunch. The second session was much the same. Two early wickets again to Conners followed by a long partnership. But just before tea it was broken and since then the other bowlers have got among them (not Critchly mentioned above though). Pretty even first day - we left an hour ago, and Warks are currently 270-9

Comment

What has gotten into Leicestershire?

Very much on track to beat Gloucester by an innings

Comment

I'm very much out of the loop on this, as much as I enjoy cricket, due to geographical and work reasons, but is there a feeling that some counties - or maybe more than a few - will never/rarely win the title? Will any of Derbyshire, Gloucestershire, Northants, Glamorgan etc. win in my lifetime? Things are cyclical, yes, but how much are finances and so on weighed against the weaker clubs?

Comment

Glamorgan's development of Sophia Gardens as a Test ground was done very much with the idea that the Test hosting counties have significant advantages (something that Durham is a bit of a poster child for, with three championships between 2007 and 2013). Since the late 90s, the only non-Test-hosting counties to win the title are Essex and Sussex.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X