No announcement yet.

SomerSex - County championship 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essex now 86-6, with Browne 49* watching with dismay from the non-strikers end, as he threatens a Bannerman (I know that is the test record for proportion of runs by one player, is it the first class record too?)

Comment

The answer is, not even close. Many people have done it, with Glenn Turner leading the way with an extraordinary 141 out of 169 for Worcs vs Glamorgan in 1977 (completed innings only) - https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

Comment

I'm already obsessed with this innings. Partnerships
        1st wicket - 18 - Turner 17 Jones 1
        2nd wicket - 17 - Turner 14 Neale 3
        3rd wicket - 33 - Turner 28 Cumbes 5
        4th wicket - 3 - Turner 0 Hemsley 3
        5th wicket - 0 - d'Oliveira 0
        6th wicket -11 - Turner 7 Patel 4
        7th wicket - 5 Turner 5 Humphries 0
        8th wicket - 6 Turner 2 Holder 4
        9th wicket - 57 Turner 50 Gifford 7
        10th wicket - 19 Turner 19 Pridgeon 0

Amazingly Turner was outscored in two partnerships despite scoring nearly every run in the innings.

Comment

Either Norman Gifford gallantly hung around a bit or Turner threw caution to the wind for that ninth wicket stand. Similar with the tenth.

Comment

Hants all out for 79, so Sussex (who are now 85-8) have not produced the worst batting display of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
              Either Norman Gifford gallantly hung around a bit or Turner threw caution to the wind for that ninth wicket stand. Similar with the tenth.
              Difficult to say for sure from the scorecard although the economy rates of the Glamorgan bowlers suggest the former.

Comment

It's discussed amongst others in this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...gotten-innings

Comment

Glenn Turner was one of the best cards in the set of cricketers top trumps I had

Comment

I forgot that Middlesex v Gloucestershire is Sky Sports' first County Championship offering of the season.

Not sure how many other matches they'll show or how regularly.

Comment

It wasn't on the original schedule.

What they are doing is broadcasting the feed that Middlesex is putting out on their YouTube channel, with the participation of some Sky commentators (not to the exclusion of the excellent Middlesex team).

It was added a few days ago to help fill the hole in Sky Cricket's schedule left by the suspension of the IPL and is expected to be replicated at least a few times before their first scheduled full broadcast of the Championship (late May or early June, I seem to recall).

Comment

So, why are 2/3rds of the overseas players this year from Australia (16) and South Africa (14). Is it a visa thing?

The 3rd and 4th test nations are West Indies with five players and Afghanistan with four (all of whom are for the T20 blast only)

Comment

A quiet morning after yesterdays fireworks. Somerset, Notts and Northants piling up their leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                            So, why are 2/3rds of the overseas players this year from Australia (16) and South Africa (14). Is it a visa thing?

The 3rd and 4th test nations are West Indies with five players and Afghanistan with four (all of whom are for the T20 blast only)
                            In the Lancashire League this season the professionals are from South Africa (6), Sri Lanka (6), Pakistan (5), India (3) with one each from England (Stephen Parry at Lowerhouse) and West Indies.

Comment

That interesting. I guess you've got to consider economic disparities, cultural or personal links and visas as factors.

I don't know why I'm watching Warwickshire plug away against the team who have drawn all their matches. There far more exciting looking matches going on. Sussex, Essex and Hampshire are well under the cosh.

Comment

Is there any video coverage of the Lancashire League, even of highlights?

Comment

It’s taken Lancashire 18 overs to make 22 without loss before close against Glamorgan. Australian quick bowler Michael Neser has conceded one run in six overs.

Comment

Essex have forgotten how to bat

Comment

Are Notts wins like London buses?

Hampshire are also struggling mightily after having bossed the early matches

Comment

I take it that the weather in England is pretty unpleasant today.

Since every game has so far not started and Yorkshire Kent is already off for the day

Comment

Yes it's raining in most places but forecast to be better this afternoon in the south east. They were pretty much predicting no play today at Headingley as early as yesterday afternoon.

Comment

And we're back (except for Yorks Kent and Leics Surrey).

Gloucestershire are really tearing the place up, four wins and a draw is remarkable.

Hants and Sussex look likely to lose today and Essex are in a tough spot.

Comment

I've not been able to watch any of Northants Sussex, where we are getting a bit of a pasting, but otherwise I've seen large chunks of and enjoyed Sussex's other efforts this season. Although like last season, in the Bob Willis, SCCC are struggling to maintain a performance over 4 days, with a good first innings go bowling or batting usually subsiding. Really enjoying watching young'uns like Tom Haines come on a bomb from last season to sustain some elegant batting and post good runs after flattering to deceive last time. Carson, the 18 or 19 year old spinner form Northern Ireland has done excellently too. He has a real edge to him. I'd love to see Robinson get a test somewhere along the line. Bombed out of Yorkshire, it seemed to me, a few seasons ago now, he's really done well.

Comment

And that's Northants 2nd win of the season. I thought Essex looked ok for the draw but they've lost some wickets as are looking to be in trouble. 48 runs behind with only 2 wickets left.

There is something really nice about players coming up the age groups like Haines has. It's been a bit disappointing to read recently how little success Warwickshire have had in that respect.

Comment

Yes, it really is. One thing COVID has done is give space to young home-growns, although I'm not sure how long Carson's been over but doubt he is home-grown as such. I'm pleased SCCC doing really well in giving them a real go. All the ones given a go seem to have done well.

Comment

Hampshire take the lead with a wicket left. A very good 9th wicket partnership from Organ and Barker (who used to be a footballer).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X