No announcement yet.

Cycling Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is that the French/Dutch/Belgians/Italians who ran the UCI decided early on that the English translation was "jersey", as it seems well rooted in British Cycling English decades before USians began to race le Tour.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Shirts means that in British English too, surely?
      Well, I always make the distinction clear, but perhaps that's just an oddity of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Well, I always make the distinction clear, but perhaps that's just an oddity of mine.
        Doesn't the word "t-shirt" make the distinction clear?

(those t-shirts with collars, like the ones famously made by lacoste, are the grey area

Comment

You don't really see Lacostes as "t-shirts with collars", do you?

Putting the collar, placket and buttons aside, the fabric is completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            You don't really see Lacostes as "t-shirts with collars", do you?
            no, but it was short hand for whatever they are. Do some people call them polo shirts? I get confused, as the word "polo" in Hungarian means t-shirt

Comment

US people often call cardigans "cardigan sweaters", which seems a redundancy too far. And as for pants!

Comment

Could cycling tops having been made of wool at the time have been a factor in jersey becoming the accepted name?

Comment

I would think so, yes

And yes, chemises Lacoste (note the use of chemise and not maillot) are generally called "polo shirts" here and will pass muster under the dress codes of establishments that require men to wear "collared shirts" (thus excluding t-shirts)

Comment

Scottish football shirts get called jerseys - 'play for the jersey ' etc

I have had two rainbow jerseys in my time- a Quick Step one from when Bettini won it and a plain (no logos) long sleeved. It's just such a great design I refuse to accept the daft rule.
                    I have a pink Mercatone jersey but it was worn as the team kit in the Tour to avoid clashing with the yellow leader's jersey- ONCE did the same

Comment

In Australia, some people call rugby/rugby league jerseys guernseys.

Which has nothing to do with cycling.

Comment

I'm broadly on board with ad hoc's position here. They are obviously not jerseys and it feels weird to call them jerseys. I generally call my cycling kit "kit" and the tops "tops" or "shirts". Jersey in my mind only applies to yellow/green/white/rainbow/pink/red/polka dot, and only because that's what commentators use.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                          I have a pink Mercatone jersey but it was worn as the team kit in the Tour to avoid clashing with the yellow leader's jersey- ONCE did the same
                          I think this should be enforced during the Grand Tours. Jumbo Visma this year was way too yellow.

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          Jersey in my mind only applies to yellow/green/white/rainbow/pink/red/polka dot, and only because that's what commentators use.
                          That's my take on it, in the same way I call the World Cup the World Cup, even though I can see it's not a cup.

Comment

ONCE wear pink in my memories as I only saw them at the Tour. I saw a gentleman in a polka dot jerset the other day, except the dots were teapots.

To be clear, we're not saying people shouldn't wear yellow or red jerseys. Just that they shouldn't wear replicas of the jerseys given to tour leaders?

Guernseys don't have sleeves do they? I'm taken by the idea that they're both named after channel islands. Are there articles of clothing called Alderneys or Sarks?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              US people often call cardigans "cardigan sweaters", which seems a redundancy too far. And as for pants!
                              We do?

Comment

About 39,500,000 results

Comment

I found my T-Mobile inflatable hand from 2007 the other day.

Comment

That Floral company in the OP has some interesting cycling-themed clothing, as opposed to cycle clothing. I liked the idea of the pink Gazzetta style shirt. But it's a lot of money if you can't see the material before you buy

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                      ONCE wear pink in my memories as I only saw them at the Tour. I saw a gentleman in a polka dot jerset the other day, except the dots were teapots.

To be clear, we're not saying people shouldn't wear yellow or red jerseys. Just that they shouldn't wear replicas of the jerseys given to tour leaders?
                                      I think there is a relatively clear line where a shirt looks a little bit too much like a classification jersey. Arbitrarily, I would be a lot more forgiving on colors other than yellow.

Comment

Buying online is not the best way to shop.

The Adidas cycling range is really interesting, or is to me. Not too expensive but covering MTB and road. I don't get why they do it. It doesn't look like it's going to compete with the established names, is it just for people who cycle casually?

Having said that, the road shoes with big three stripes looks cool but not cycle-y. The Samba's with cleats are neat.

How much is it that yellow is less likely to look good compared to red, pink and green etc? So you have to think that if someone is wearing yellow it'll be because of the yellow jersey.

Comment

So how does everyone feel about the trend in the peloton for massive sunglasses? I can't be the only one who thinks they're fucking ridiculous.

Comment

I think the cycling shirt I like best, of all the ones I occasionally see people wearing, is the Belgian National Team one. If I had a physique that was suited to horizontal stripes and had the vaguest connection to Belgium, I would probably be in one of those tomorrow.(Although of course the stripes should go all the way round, and I don't think they do on the most recent interation)

I hadn't noticed the Giant Sunglasses Trend, so can't really comment. Visors look terrible and any casual Saturday rider who's wearing an aero TT helmet with an integrated visor on the road is clearly a douche.

Comment

I don't have a pair, but I imagine wearing big sunglasses means you're not looking at the rim of them if your head is at the wrong angle. Or you'd hope so at least.

Comment

Adidas used to do t-mobile team kit so they have more than dabbled in the past.

Did they not do Sky one year..?

Comment

Comment

Nice kit...shame about the team, sponsor etc

Comment

Working...
                                                    X