No announcement yet.

F1, WRC, motorsport 2021 - making it up as we go along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that it's obvious as to when I last took an interest in rallying...

Comment

McRae, Richard Burns, Sainz, Juha Kankkunen, Vatanen, Didier Auriol, Tommy Makkinen, Kenneth Eriksson, Malcolm Wilson, Gwyndaf Evans. You can tell when I followed rallying...

Comment

Murray Walker's stopped his startwatch.

Comment

F1.

Starting.

Bahrain.

Red Bull fastest in Free Practice.

Meaning.

Mercedes will be fastest at a soon later moment.

Comment

It's nice that for the first time in years Red Bull have turned up with a car that works straight out of the box so we might get an actual title fight between Max and Lewis this season.

Looking forward to the season to come, although I don't for a minute think we'll get the 23 rounds currently scheduled. What a shame it would be if Covid somehow managed to wipe out the Saudi street race. The midfield looks very tightly packed, apart from Haas who have already written the season off and are not developing their car save for some new parts coming at Imola. Think Tsunoda will do well in the Alpha Tauri, he was already better than Gasly in practice and in the junior formulas he's always needed a bit of time to really hit his straps.

Expect this will be Hamilton's final season, he took until February to sign his new contract and reading between the lines there look to be some light cracks in his relationship with Mercedes. If he wins the title that will be him out on his own at number eight, he'll presumably have hit a century of poles and race wins and there would genuinely nothing left for him to achieve. He's said in the past he'd like to drive for Ferrari but there's no way they'd ditch Leclerc or Sainz for a season or two of him and he wouldn't want to go fighting in the midfield, so think he'll ultimately retire.

Comment

No, Verstappen is actually faster...

Comment

Oh ho... Bring 2021 on, this should be a good one.

Comment

That was a 15-car fight. Fights all over the place. Hope the whole season is like this.

Checo fits Red Bull perfectly. Their whole ethos, the skateboarding and plane racing and stunts, Checo just works with all of that. He makes that team better. They don't have a wimpy weenie or dopey dunce in addition to Psycho Max, but a bad ass.

Ferrari looks so much better, McLaren is great.

And Lewis is Lewis.

Comment

Season 3 Episode 3 of Drive To Survive - fantastic window into the friction at Mercedes. Get on it.

Comment

Hamilton on pole but this could still be interesting as it's a role reversal from last time out. Two Red Bulls against one Mercedes (with Bottas down in 8th). Can Horner's team get their tactics right?

Comment

And how much will the rain mix things up? Looking forward to this one...

Comment

Fun race, kind of annoyed F1 uses the lucky dog system though.

Got the Indycar season opener in a few hours too, Barber is a great track with loads of elevation change. It honestly feels like it should be in Austria or Germany, it has quite a European feel.

Comment

Pleased to see Norris get a podium. The Russell/Bottas shunt was a bit sketchy, really not sure how to apportion blame there but it's not the sort of accident you want to see at the sport's highest level.

Comment

Fucking hell, that Bottas / Russell was a huge crash. Probably a racing incident that doesn't reflect massively well on either of them, Russell didn't complete a pass at high speed and let the red mist descend afterwards, Bottas had been lapped and was having a fair and square race with a Williams. Good stuff from Norris, McLaren are getting their shit together in a way we haven't seen for a while and will be stronger when Ricciardo gets his feet under the table properly.

The much rumoured street race in Miami has finally been confirmed, expected to take place next June in conjunction with Canada. The launch said the circuit has 19 corners, some of which seem an ambitious definition of the term. There's only three passing spots even with DRS. Still it'll be a "destination race" and it'll provide some nice shots for the telly, so Liberty will be happy.

Comment

Also I like that graphic beneath the podium for an "Official Toast of Formula One". Did make me wonder at first if it was, you know, actual toast.

Comment

You've been to too many midnight screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                    Pleased to see Norris get a podium. The Russell/Bottas shunt was a bit sketchy, really not sure how to apportion blame there but it's not the sort of accident you want to see at the sport's highest level.
                                    It was funny that I thought Russell was shaking his hand at first. One of those 180 degree opposite eyewitness accounts.

At this stage, I have no idea how Hamilton can beat Max.

Years past, when Mercedes would say "We have no idea how we can win," it was always one race away from when they'd tear off 8 in a row.

This year, it really feels like they have no idea how to win.

Comment

Rally Croatia hasn't started well for Championship WRC leader Rovanpera...

https://twitter.com/ChristianWRC1/status/1385502810872053766?s=19

Comment

Oof! They'll be lucky to get that back out tomorrow.

Really hoping Craig Breen has a good performance on this rally, I'm a huge fan of his heart-on-the-sleeve approach and how much this all means to him, and this is as close to a level playing field as he'll get. Would be nice to see him do enough to put himself in the frame for a full season with someone in 2022.

Comment

Posting for my own benefit but in case it's useful to anyone else, Rally Croatia highlights are on ITV4 at 8pm on Weds (and there's an ITV+1 channel too).

Or today's highlights are being streamed on RBTV in 25 minutes here:
                                          https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events...onship-croatia

Comment

Looks like it's going to be a nailbiting last day too...

Comment

I'm a dreamer Montreal:

Sadly, not this year

Canadian F1 transferred to Istanbul

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56915817

Comment

Haven't caught up with WRC yet but have it on the to-watch list. Still finishing off Drive To Survive too.

Meanwhile I was looking at the odds for the win in Portugal and was surprised that the McLarens were shortest of the rest and that there was a huge value gap between Leclerq and Sainz. The Ferrari looks capable here, and the low-grip track really suits Carlos Jr, who is at over 100/1, so I've gone for some pennies each way on him.

The genuine fight for race wins this year means you can get some odds against on Lewis and Max too, which is nice.

Comment

And Sainz bags the best of the rest place on the grid. Excellent.

Comment

Words you never thought you'd see:

Grosjean on pole.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X