No announcement yet.

F1, WRC, motorsport 2021 - making it up as we go along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good race, this, Grosjean still holding on.

Comment

Following a pit stop shuffle he's in P2. Final stint to chase this one down (or hope for a yellow).

Comment

Veekay is pulling away - the young Dutchman might be about to get his first win.

Comment

Just realised that Veekay is his phonetic initials - they've just captioned his father as Van Kalmthout.

Comment

RvK gets the win!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              Just realised that Veekay is his phonetic initials - they've just captioned his father as Van Kalmthout.
              It’s a little weird, he initialises his name for the US market on the basis Americans won’t be able to pronounce van Kalmthout, as if Arie Luyendyk never existed.

Comment

Max Mosley has died at the age of 81

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57232681

Comment

Mosley was an odd one. Brought much-needed change to motorsport after the reign of that corrupt old fucker Balestre, but stayed in the job too long and eventually took on some of the autocratic airs of his predecessor (culminating in Indianapolis 2005).

Comment

Can anyone find a t-shirt with the old F1 logo?

It's astonishing how it's been utterly scrubbed from the internet. I think eBay even removed one from my wish list.

Can't find it on any eBay, or Aliexpress, or Amazon, or barely even find an image.

Comment

Sky Sports F1 is running Indy highlights for the next few days, which is good as I’d highly recommend viewing. Really high quality race, only two cautions (one of which was a pit lane error that caused a wheel to come off) and three retirements for the whole race, but a real barn burner up front and a historic ending.

Comment

That wheel incident was terrifying from the on board camera

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          That wheel incident was terrifying from the on board camera
                          yeah, I don’t think Daly would have been injured in a non-aero screen world, because it hit his car’s nose and they already had some small aero adjustments before the aero screen to prevent a repeat of Justin Wilson’s death. Buuuuuut.... it’s just another data point showing that aero screens/halo isn’t going anywhere.

Comment

Another Azerbaijan Insano Race.

All things considered, Hamilton still gained about 10 points on Max because it would have been a 14 point lead instead of 4.

NUTZ

Comment

Well that was a 53-lap heartpounding nailbiter that was also a nailbiting heartpounder.

Again, not sure how Hammy is going to catch Maxi.

Comment

(Talking about Max V's 2nd-to-last-lap pass to win the French Grand Prix to go up 131-119.)

Comment

The Netflix docuseries has gotten me into F1. Today was the first time I've watched an entire race. Going to be interesting in the next few years to see what happens--if Verstappen will be unstoppable or if Norris or another challenger emerges.

Comment

Honda is leaving Red Bull right when they finally figured everything out this year, and Lewis just signed for 2 more years with Merc.

Max is up 32 points, meaning Lewis is basically 5 games back with 13 to play if both finish 1-2.

If I have the cash and they're letting people in I may try to get to Sao Paulo for the Brasil race in November.

Comment

Ford and M-Sport are the first to go public with their 2022 hybrid World Rally Car (or Rally1 car as they're now known). It had been rumoured to be based around the Puma and the rumours were true.

WRC – The car M-Sport will campaign in next year's WRC breaks cover at the Goodwood Festival of Speed

Comment

Exciting qualifying today. The roar of the crowd for Russell after Q2 and Q3 was something else. He surely has to be picked by Mercedes for next season.

Comment

All the signs are that he will be - at one point there was talk it might even be announced this weekend. He chose the wrong meeting to qualify well, Williams struggle with race pace so he'll slide down the field a bit across the two races.

Agree that it was an exciting qualifying, though I'm not terribly optimistic for the prospects of the sprint race later, no-one is obviously out of position with nothing to lose apart from maybe Tsunoda. Silverstone's not an easy circuit to overtake anyway so expect there won't be any risks taken and everyone will just trundle round not wanting to risk their prospects for Sunday.

Comment

I haven't seen a quote from any driver current or retired who seems to like the idea of the sprint race, though with all such innovations in sport it seems that if it plays well on TV and the fans like it then it will be adopted by the organizers.

Comment

They could potentially make a sprint race work by reversing the grid, giving the sprint points on Friday rather than Saturday and building a few simple safeguards in to stop teams tanking qualifying. That would produce some racing (although it wouldn't work on certain street circuits) and I imagine Liberty might try it sooner or later.

Comment

For the first time in years I'm watching the British Grand Prix on telly today.

Comment

Fuck me, that was scary watching Verstappen careering at speed across the gravel trap.

Comment

What, after Hamilton rammed him off the road? They've got to DQ him for that. (I only ever watch the first couplr of laps in case something like that happens).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X