No announcement yet.

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's that B. Not all of them have been in the red Sox colours, but most of them.

Comment

There are a lot of caps now sold in "fashion colours".
      ​​​​​

I find this heretical, but then I would.

Comment

Most of the Yankee NY caps I see have the logo in the same colour as the cap.

Comment

As a Londoner who wears a baseball hat almost every day, I’ve long since realised that the vast majority of Londoners wearing an MLB team hat can’t tell Ronald Acuna from a kumquat. The excitement when I first moved here and a guy was at my bus stop in a Giants hat (he had no idea what I was talking about) has disappeared.

There are a few tells the person wearing it might be a real baseball fan, though.

1) The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, White Sox, Braves and Tigers are the teams the New Era fashionista department seem to push, so anybody wearing these is less likely to be a fan (although the Red Sox and Yanks are genuinely the two most popular teams). Blue Jays hats are almost always Canadians; their relationship to actually following the Jays can sometimes vary but they at least know who the Jays are and say the Jays are their favourite team.

Somewhat less supported teams in destinations Brits don’t flock to necessarily are usually real fans, think the Padres, Rockies, Mariners, Rangers, Astros, etc.

2) The rattier the hat, the better. Not a shitty snapback, that’s a hipster, but a fitted with sweat stains.

3) Throwbacks are always a good sign. Pretty much the only hat I will bet hard on it being worn by a real fan is an Expos hat.

4) if the guy notices MY hat, then you’re usually cooking with gas. I’ve been stared down by guys in A’s hats and then a nod comes — hello, fellow BART aficionado. The handful of times I’ve run into other Giants fans went the same way. I had a guy eyeing my hat for about 100 metres as we walked towards each other, because he turned out to have an Ozzie Smith Cardinals jersey on. Too bad he was just visiting, would have been great to have another MLB fan in the neighbourhood.

Comment

There's a guy in my neighbourhood I've seen wearing a Cubs shirt. I suspect he's a genuine baseball aficionado because no random or glory hunter is going to be sourcing a Cubs shirt. (Apologies OTF baby bear fans)

I got to watch the Padres today and they only went and won AND Tatis hit a Grand Slam. Woop.

Comment

Oh, and Tony Gwynn Jr was in the booth too.

Comment

I remember talking to a student worker in my office one day about listening to Give Em Enough Rope. I talked for a while. She stared at me. I said, "You're wearing a London Calling T-shirt." She stared at me. "Urban Outfitters?," I asked. "How did you know," she replied. I was good about not being snotty.

Some good matchups to begin the week: Cubs-Mets and Rays-White Sox.

Comment

California officially opened today. Dodgers sold out 56,000+. Pandemic is over, I guess. Mookie was of fire and Dodgers win 5-3, but Giants win as well. I didn't see the Padres score.

The interesting talk on MLB Now this afternoon was road losses. There are some teams putting up numbers to rival all-time horrible road records but it;s not just one team: Baltimore, Arizona, Colorado, Texas. One theory is that the young teams are feeling the effects of fans back in the stadiums.

Comment

Padres lost again in Denver and are officially in a slump. Giants had been seven runs down before rallying and winning on a Yaz bis grand slam.

Unfortunate occurrences at CitiField.

I would be interested to know if there is any correlation between vaccine status and road losses.

Comment

On the flip side the Rays, Red Sox and A's are all around .666 on the road. I mean I know they're pretty good all round but the Red Sox are just over .500 at home. Have to have an outlier.

Comment

Soft support for the "young team" hypothesis, as Oakland are the oldest team in MLB (Boston 11th, Tampa 20th)

Comment

Obviously the teams that are losing are bad, but I think the Pirates have the worst record in baseball (or did last week) and they were not mentioned among the teams with road woes. I assume if this continues, we will start to see stats about hitting and pitching. Baltimore seems to be somewhere in the middle of their re-build when assessing hitting. They've got some players that are showing some real talent. The Diamondback are horrific. They fired their hitting coaches last week. And Colorado has always had problems. The supposed Coors Field advantage also comes with problems adjusting to the road. That's not new, but perhaps exacerbated this season.

The vaccine theory is interesting, but I'm trying to figure out why every player would not be vaccinated by now. The New York Times front page of the website shows that 55% of adults 18+ in the US are fully vaccinated and 65% have had at least one dose. Because I work in education we were part of a 1B+ vaccine group. We've all been vaccinated in March or April. Most of my friends were part of a 1C group in various states (just general population vaccination). Every one of my friends is fully vaccinated and has been since May. We seem to be long past a point when athletes in the US being vaccinated would come off as preferential treatment so I'd be shocked if there are many players who are still not vaccinated unless those guys are choosing not to be vaccinated. But maybe I'm wrong about that and I'm using Illinois and California as skewed guides for making sense of vaccinations.

Comment

They are not fully vaccinated because they don't want to be.

The Cubs are one of the six to eight teams that have not reached the 85 percent threshold for reducing COVID related measures and are expecting that they will never reach that.

This has been a major topic of conversation around the club, but I guess it hasn't made it onto your radar.

Comment

As I said about the Euros, and the Olympics, it is amazing that it's not a requirement of MLB that everyone has to be fully vaccinated or have a specific medical exemption. There is no shortage of supply.

Comment

Would never be acceptable to the players' union - the existence of which makes the situation different from those you note

Comment

If it's not discussed on MLB Network during MLB Now or MLB Tonight or not discussed during the game then I won't know it's happening. I don't watch pre-game, post-game stuff and am generally avoiding sports news since I'm avoiding football spoilers.

I'm partially surprised by the quantity of players who have opted not to be vaccinated but athletes tend not to be a progessive group as a whole and baseball players are perhaps more traditionally conservative. Of course, it's ironic that players are fine trusting the best friends of their cousins with cold medicine (or so they say) and yet avoiding vaccines.

Perhaps this has been discussed in the Euro 2020 thread but a friend of mine in Denmark told me that there was early conspiracy theories floating in media reports in Denmark that Erickson's collapse was caused by the vaccine.

Comment

I thought the word was their were significant risks about how the vaccine played with steroids.

Comment

Does your wife know how much time you are spending on the South Side?

Comment

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1405320331473178634

Comment

Joe Davis just summarized the injury report for Steven Souza Jr. He is a perfect Andrew Friedman signing: out almost all of 2018 and almost all of 2019 with two different kinds of injuries. I'm surprised Farhan didn't beat Friedman to the signing. Haha.

Comment

https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status/1405395588116627457

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Padres lost again in Denver and are officially in a slump.
                                              Yep. Been terrible on the road. The big news is Tatis's home runs but a home run leader is a small ROI.

They need to ditch the swag. It's beginning to feel embarrassing.

6 games behind. 2 and 8 in their last 10 games. Swept by the Rockies.
                                              Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 17-06-2021, 07:27.

Comment

Comment

https://twitter.com/dannyvietti/status/1405271463964254211

Comment

Well, that was a satisfying end to a difficult series

Thank you baby bears

Comment

Working...
                                                    X