No announcement yet.

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's an excellent animation and (I assume) a fair bit of effort for the data mining. That there were any players born on the west coast playing professionally before 1900 is kind of mindblowing. Did the bay area have an early adoption of baseball (and is there some history there)?

(And to answer my own question: Yes: https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?ti..._San_Francisco)
    Last edited by matt j; 19-02-2021, 13:09.

Comment

The Pacific Coast League was the league before the Dodgers and Giants arrived. My sense is that it was a strong league. There has been a massive population growth in California since the 1950s. I read somewhere that California is top 10 in the global economy. Obviously memories fade over time but one memory that sticks with me from my childhood is driving around Orange County in Southern California when my parents were planning a move from Los Angeles. There were a lot of orange groves everywhere (hence the name of the county). By the time I was a teenager, those groves were replaced by housing and strip malls. The kids living in those houses were (and are) able to play sports year round. The weather is great in Southern California but it's also very conducive to year-round sports in Central California and Northern California.

Comment

My uncle survived the Depression by hoboing around the country on trains looking for work. One of his jobs was picking oranges in a whole bunch of orange groves in a part of Los Angeles called Beverly Hills.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1363934129016819713

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
            . The weather is great in Southern California but it's also very conducive to year-round sports in Central California and Northern California.
            Ted Williams credited being able to play baseball every day as a kid in San Diego as a main reason why he was such a great player.

Comment

A bunch of people of over the weekend again mentioned that the reason that nobody watches sports in Southern California (generally) is because they're all outside actually doing sports. If you live in Cleveland or Detroit or even Boston or New York, there's a whole lot of the year you don't want to be outside. In LA and San Diego that just doesn't hold true. The spectator sport cities of the US aren't, generally, the participation sport cities of the US.*

* Exceptions apply, of course.

Comment

Fully vested member of the SoCal Superiority Union there.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                  A bunch of people of over the weekend again mentioned that the reason that nobody watches sports in Southern California (generally) is because they're all outside actually doing sports. If you live in Cleveland or Detroit or even Boston or New York, there's a whole lot of the year you don't want to be outside. In LA and San Diego that just doesn't hold true. The spectator sport cities of the US aren't, generally, the participation sport cities of the US.*

* Exceptions apply, of course.
                  In general, I'd rather be outside in the winter than the summer. Too hot.

Cold or wet weather is ok for soccer or American football, but it just doesn't work in baseball. It's just too difficult to handle a baseball with gloves on and the field needs to be fairly dry.

Comment

I didn't go to many day games in LA. I went to a few in NYC. A few times a year there would be massive bug infiltration at Dodger stadium. I had the misfortune of being at one of those games. The Dodgers had their first rainout the year before last if I remember correctly in a long, long time. Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium, and I assume Petco (haven't been there yet) are fabulous at night even amidst a heatwave because Southern California cools down at night. Again, day games can be a different proposition.

Comment

No stadium, as far as I know, has more bugs than City Island in Harrisburg.
                      https://www.pennlive.com/patriotnews...h_anniv_4.html

Comment

Spring Training has begun. The Padres are posting lots of pics and vids on social media.

Really looking forward to this season.

Comment

You get to open against us, which should be happy hunting though Hendricks is reportedly starting for reasons I don't get

Comment

I had assumed that Japan's love of baseball was rooted in the aftermath of WWII and the American presence. However, I saw a 1936 Ozu film where a baseball mitt is a plot point. I'm sure I could google how baseball came to Japan but interested in the knowledge and perspective of the OTF-hive.

Comment

Goes back to the 19th century and the original Meiji opening to the West ( in particular the importation of USian teachers and scientists), but really took off after WWI, with the establishment of professionalism in the 20s and off season tours in the early 30s by MLB All Star teams that drew huge crowds

Last edited by ursus arctos; 28-02-2021, 23:57.

Comment

I keep going back and forth about signing up for the MLB package. Last season I watched almost all of the Dodgers games, but that was 60 games and a vaccine seemed far off. I don't think I would watch more than 60 and I assume the same combo of MLB Network, ESPN, game of the day on the app, etc. will work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Back in the Major Leagues, the Padres have signed another pitcher - Keone Kela from the Pirates. I know nowt about him.
                                  He was Texas before Pittsburgh, decent for a bit then tailed off.

Comment

Mancini back. Now let us see if Felix Hernandez and Matt Harvey have anything left.

Comment

The Island of Misfit Toys is in the Inner Harbor

Comment

I can't figure out what is happening with spring training games. I know that the teams agreed that during the first week they might play 5 or 7 innings. Then after they will agree to play either 7 or 9. But during the Reds-Dodgers games, innings just ended with Reds players on base. I saw some listing about rolling the inning but have no clue what that means even after reading an article about this.

Spring training is always a time to test some things, but this seems kind of nuts.

Comment

There is some nonsense about the inning being capable of ending after 20 pitches

The whole thing is a joke and the Cubs are selling tickets for USD 35

Comment

Chicago is totally happy to hype up the White Sox this year. Even with the GM change.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              There is some nonsense about the inning being capable of ending after 20 pitches

The whole thing is a joke and the Cubs are selling tickets for USD 35
                                              Seeing 20 pitches at the Cubs is less painful than over a hundred.

Comment

Three dingers today in an 8-8 tie with Seattle as they remain undefeated this spring

Comment

The Padres are not lighting up Spring Training. Hope this is just a case of getting the bugs out of their system.

Comment

This is an enjoyable read about the game outside the big leagues.

https://www.mlb.com/news/featured/th...ball-team-ever

Comment

Working...
                                                    X