Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

I'm genuinely excited that Darvish has been given a meaningful chance to win a ring this year

I love your optimism. I fear that it's misplaced.

Comment

I don't think that there is any question that he has a better shot than he did a week ago

Comment

I'm feeling optimistic and hesitant about the Padres chances this year. They are splashing the cash and putting together a really strong roster, but that doesn't always work out.

However the pitching was the big weakness of the 2020 team and they look to be seriously trying to solve thay problem. So if the bats heat up again this year and they've got pitchers who can win games is could be back-to-back postseasons.

It's always the hope that kills you.

Comment

The hope is a little less brutal with the addition of wild card teams (many of which have won the whole thing) and now a possible expanded playoffs. The NL should be really strong this year, but the Padres should be in great shape as long a the team fits together well and the pitchers pitch to their capabilities. The sheriff would be my big concern. He really has only had a half-season stretch where he pitched like a star.

I have no idea what to think about the AL. I think the team that has undermined itself most (perhaps only second to the Reds) is the Twins. They let a lot of players walk this off-season.

Comment

Lindor to the Mets is happening

*spits on floor*

and Carrasco

*spits again*

I may need to invest in a spitoon
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 07-01-2021, 17:37.

Comment

Yo, Hot Pepsi, what chance for the Reds this year?

Comment

I haven’t checked yet. Very little, I suspect.

Comment

It's a down year for the division. I tend to doubt that the winner will win more than 85 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    However the pitching was the big weakness of the 2020 team and they look to be seriously trying to solve thay problem. So if the bats heat up again this year and they've got pitchers who can win games is could be back-to-back postseasons.
                    "could be back-to-back postseasons" is an extremely low ask given what they have done. They've thrown the keys to the house into the middle of the table.

Comment

Ah, bugger. They need me to go and watch them again.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

"could be back-to-back postseasons" is an extremely low ask given what they have done. They've thrown the keys to the house into the middle of the table.
                        Well obviously I'm hoping they've done enough to wrest the pennant from the clutches of the Dodgers and maybe win a first World Series. But let's be realistic. It's San Diego.

Comment

Tommy Lasorda has died.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Lindor to the Mets is happening

*spits on floor*

and Carrasco

*spits again*

I may need to invest in a spitoon
                            Ooh, does this mean they're good signings by my ever-lovable team?

Comment

Yes they are

And you can fuck off too

[insert multiple smiley, winky things, while I interview shamans experienced in sporting curses]

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                Tommy Lasorda has died.
                                Ah shit.

I had hoped his release from hospital wasn't "compassionate"

At least he got to see them hoist another flag

Comment

They deserve cursing for that camouflage kit, it's true.

Comment

Cohen may be getting rid of that.

Them having competent ownership is ruining my life.

Comment

At least he got to see them hoist another flag
                                      Yeah, this. He played for them when they won their first World Series, and got to see them win their most recent one. That's a nice bookending.

Vin Scully's wife passed away last week. I was worried how much longer he would be around even before that, but it seems like a truism that men seem to pass away not that much longer after their wives do, especially when they were together for so long. When Vin dies, that will truly be a sad day. I don't know if there's another team where the most beloved figure associated with the team is an announcer rather than a player or a coach. Chick Hearn was obviously loved by all Laker fans, but he didn't have the same place that Vin does with the Dodgers.

Comment

Cohen may be getting rid of that.

Them having competent ownership is ruining my life.
                                        Competent and with bottomless pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                          Tommy Lasorda has died.
                                          Sad news. RIP, Tommy.

Comment

Gutted by this news about Tommy. He was a true baseball character and a Dodger legend.

I had this taped to the wall above my desk when I worked in New York. Saw this game the night before on my junky black and white TV and the back cover image/headline was so funny to me.

Comment

Master of the foul-mouthed postgame rant

Comment

I loved to hate Lasorda, which means I loved him. Just a true character in every possible way, and a wonderful mix of the sacred and profane.

There’s a lot of Internet hooey going around about him hating or disowning his gay son. He publicly denied his son was gay or died of AIDS, which is to his discredit*, but they were very, very close. Like talked every day close. He’ll be buried next to him.

*although 30 years ago was practically the prehistoric era for acceptance of gays, so he may well have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                                  I loved to hate Lasorda, which means I loved him. Just a true character in every possible way, and a wonderful mix of the sacred and profane.
                                                  MLB Network ran a lengthy piece about Lasorda's career. The piece had a section near the end that covered Lasorda's last series in San Francisco. He apparently said to the crowd: I know you think you hate me, but really you hate yourselves because you like me so much.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X