No announcement yet.

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

danielmak is becoming an official badmind winning voodoo.

Comment

The Ruf call comes back around

Comment

Fireworks in my neighborhood. That was excruciating.

Comment

Bugger. You mean I am now left hoping that the fucking Red Sox win the world series? What a shitty sport

Comment

I thought for sure that was going to extras. My only sense of relief was that the Dodgers' obsession with launching in game 3 was the only thing that saved the Giants' closer. So, I felt like we could hit him and we did.

Of course, you know what's coming next from me: managers are absolutely obsessed with bringing starters into games to close out a series. I hate the move, but admit that it has worked. I'd expect that Gonsolin will finally get a start now unless the Dodgers pull some dumb move with an opener and then bring him in (which has not worked).

What a brutal way for the Giants to lose. Can't happen. Need something like goal line tech/tennis ball tech if robo umps aren't coming soon.

Now I'm hoping that my beginning of the season prediction of Atlanta winning it all is wrong.

Comment

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1448870849352716290?s=20

Comment

Some background. I have this weird sleep thing where I can be simultaneous be dreaming yet conscious of stuff going on around me and quite frankly, if often freaks me out as I start thinking I'm going to die so will start shouting, kicking out or try and fall onto the floor to wake up.

More background. As anyone who listens to baseball on the radio will know when returning from an ad break between innings there will often be a snippet of music of varying quality. The Dodgers station is the best for this - Manic Monday the on Monday night for example but they do a bit of everything whereas others can be a bit more monotone.

Anyway last night in my sleep haze I'm convinced they were playing Half Man Half Biscuit's This Leaden Pall across the commentary. Whether they did or not, and I so wish it to be true, it will probably be my highlight of the playoffs now all my picks are done.

Comment

Funny that a shitty call should come up again, yesterday I happened to be Youtubing a "perfect game" by Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers. Umpire completely fucks up the call at first base for the third out in the bottom of the ninth. Fucking hell.

Comment

And essentially nothing happened.

Jim Joyce, the umpire, apologised, Galaraga's career fizzled, and only hard core fans remember it.

Baseball is also the only major NA pro sport in which the officials for the "post season" are selected primarily on seniority, rather than performance. The guy behind the plate last night was in the bottom tenth percentile for correct ball/strike calls during the regular season.

Comment

I remember that even the runner looked upset at the call.

Comment

Two things about context. First, even I posted above that a game can't end like that. But the great thing about baseball is that game 15 is as important as game 162. A win counts the same. The loss on day 162 could be seen as the reason why a team missed the playoffs or dropped out of a wild card spot, but a loss at some other point contributed to be in that position. The strike call last night sucked (even though my team benefited from it, it still sucked). But that same call would have sucked earlier in the game to end an inning. Twenty-seven outs are all the same.

Second, I heard a blurb from Charlie Steiner's call. I'm not a fan at all. Greenlander is experiencing the low point in Dodgers' radio announcing, but I don't know if Charlie calls the entire game or shares duties with someone good. I'm not clear what Rick Monday does these days. Anyway, Steiner said that Bellinger's hit last night was the biggest of his career. Really? Those hits last year against San Diego, Atlanta, and Tampa were less important? If there is any sport in the US where context matters, it's baseball. The hit was big; it was important. But the hit wasn't *more* important than any other playoff game-winning hit. C'mon. Do better.

I'm rooting for the Red Sox. Lesser of two disliked teams for me.

Comment

I suppose, out of the remaining teams, the Red Sox at least have a nice stadium. I like the Dodger Stadium as well, classic 1960s architecture, no neo-1920s century fake shite. Unfortunately I then read, in a Wikipedia binge, that the Dodgers and their politician friends used all sorts of dark arts to clear out the Hispanic neighbourhood that used to be where the stadium is now. Oh dear.

Comment

There's an entire, excellent book on that, which I very much recommend

But that story, just like the shenanigans involved in getting the club out of Brooklyn, shouldn't detract from one's admiration of Dodger Stadium's quality and (especially) the quality of the restoration that Janet Marie Smith and her team pulled off.

I am as far from Dodger-minded as one can get (only supporting them against the Mets), but cannot speak more highly of the experience of watching a game at Chavez Ravine. It is a jewel.

Comment

wow, a whole book. thanks.

I need to go to a ball game next time I am in the US, which could be a long time from now.

Was over in Texas regularly about 4-5 years ago. But far from Dallas or Houston. Managed to take in the Spurs. Nothing worse than watching basketball from the top tier.
                              Last edited by anton pulisov; 16-10-2021, 01:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                I remember that even the runner looked upset at the call.
                                Yeah. I noticed that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

I need to go to a ball game next time I am in the US, which could be a long time from now.

Was over in Texas regularly about 4-5 years ago. But far from Dallas or Houston. Managed to take in the Spurs. Nothing worse than watching basketball from the top tier.
                                  I assume there would have been a minor league team in San Antonio or Austin. University of Texas also has had some good baseball teams (Austin, TX) but the sound of the aluminum bats annoys me personally. Minor league games are always a good time.

Comment

There’s also a Ry Cooder album about Chavez Ravine.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      There's an entire, excellent book on that, which I very much recommend

But that story, just like the shenanigans involved in getting the club out of Brooklyn, shouldn't detract from one's admiration of Dodger Stadium's quality and (especially) the quality of the restoration that Janet Marie Smith and her team pulled off.

I am as far from Dodger-minded as one can get (only supporting them against the Mets), but cannot speak more highly of the experience of watching a game at Chavez Ravine. It is a jewel.
                                      I am imagining a world where the author brought the book in with a really good pitch, great story and a shit title like "The dark truths of Dodger Stadium"

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I assume there would have been a minor league team in San Antonio or Austin. University of Texas also has had some good baseball teams (Austin, TX) but the sound of the aluminum bats annoys me personally. Minor league games are always a good time.
                                        Round Rock Express and the San Antonio Missions

Comment

Ugh. Bullpen day. By the time Gonsolin pitches again he is going to get bombed because it will have been weeks since he last pitched.

Comment

I was in Corpus Christi so it would have been Astros minor team the Hooks. The stadium is called Whataburger Field. You can buy Whataburger there. Whataburger is nasty, I tried it once.

Was never there during baseball season though.

Comment

Red Sox hit 2 grand slams in the first 2 innings of the ALCS game against the Astros.

Comment

First time a team got more than one in a postseason game apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                                  wow, a whole book. thanks.

There was a protest a few weeks ago by people who ran onto the field holding up signs of the destroyed neighborhoods (and though largely Latino, there were other residents as well).

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-chavez-ravine

Comment

Even as a Dodger-hater, I have to admit that the stadium and the uniforms are what baseball should aspire to be (also a bit easier to grudgingly admit to it when the Giants are also very much among the leaders in the same areas).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X