No announcement yet.

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the second consecutive night, the Giants authored an improbable comeback against Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen, erasing a two-run deficit with a four-run ninth inning that resulted in a wild 5-3 win at Dodger Stadium on Thursday.

Comment

Hooray : that news
      Boo: that use of "authored"

Comment

And before anybody complains about the checked swing call that tied the game, Jansen got a gift call on 2-0 on a cutter that was a good six inches off the plate.

Comment

Jansen has blown 3 saves in the last week. Check swing or no check swing, he loaded the bases two nights in a row. Treinen needs to step in for a bit.

Cleveland Guardians is the new team name. Not great but glad they made the change.
          Last edited by danielmak; 23-07-2021, 14:44.

Comment

Great in my book

https://twitter.com/jayurban11/status/1418583537402458113

Comment

Dunno, statues called the Guardians of Traffic doesn’t seem terribly inspirational to me. Others have pointed out it’s the most similar name to Indians (ends in -dians) you can possibly get, and that was likely a big factor in choosing it.

Comment

They are popularly known as the Guardians off Transportation, which is better

But the key as I understand it is that the people squatting on the Spiders name and IP overplayed their hand and ended up with nuttin'

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  They are popularly known as the Guardians off Transportation, which is better

But the key as I understand it is that the people squatting on the Spiders name and IP overplayed their hand and ended up with nuttin'
                  That’s hilarious, womp womp

Comment

Not sure about the Guardians as a name. However if they tie in with Marvel and have Groot as a mascot then I may well buy some merch.

Comment

As a massive fan of anything Art Deco, may I offer the city of Cleveland thanks for being possibly the first team to name a team after art deco sculptures on a truss bridge.

​​​​​​https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Memorial_Bridge

Comment

Friars are all in

https://twitter.com/NickLee51/status/1419429321375043585?s=20

Comment

I am stunned that the Padres made that move. I told a friend of mine that the Dodgers needed to get Frazier then it would be Muncy at first, Frazier at second, Lux or Seeger at Short (with Seeger allowed to walk during the off season since he his hurt most of the time), and JT at third. The Padres have added depth, but if I was a Pads fan, I'd worry about the cost. There are already too many outfielders and Cronenworth a star at second. The move doesn't make a lot of sense beyond depth but all-stars sitting isn't ideal. I respect going for it, but I also start to wonder if Daniels didn't learn the lesson from the last time he illogically went all in.

Comment

Good God would the game be a hellscape if clones of you were running all 30 teams.

Comment

We'll see where the Padres end up this season and over the next three. If Cronenworth gets injured or one of the studs in the outfield gets hurt than Daniels will be a genius. If not, the skipper has to figure out how to juggle that roster. Manny's not sitting, Tatis is not sitting, is Cronenworth sitting? I assume Meyers is back to being average so he can sit. That still leaves 3 starters in the outfield and two all-star second basemen. A first basemen who is making a ton of money and who is a "winner" in the playoffs even if he's not really great over 162. So, you're the manager, UA, what are you going to do?

BTW, I've long advocated for not over rating prospects since most really don't amount to much. So, trading the number 5 prospect is no problem for me. The problem is trading for a player that isn't needed. Trading for a bonafide starting pitcher would have been a much better move for the system's #5 prospect.

Comment

I would use him as an extra bat, giving all of the other infielders a rest every now and then play him every day if one of them gets hurt, DH in American League parks, maybe start given particularly favourable matchups. Plus pinch hit. Frazier will do anything he is asked because he has been saved from the place where careers go to die.

Frazier gives them a better chance to win, which is the prime imperative for all of the players and virtually all of the fans (I accept that your eccentric views on such matters are not unique).

A hypothetical number 5 starter (who we don't even know to be available) may not even make the post season roster. Frazier definitely will, barring serious injury.

Comment

Did the Pirates get enough back or are they just dumping salary? Again.

Comment

They got a middle infielder of the future (who was blocked in SD) and maybe a power hitting outfielder and/or a pitcher.

Of course, they also dumped salary because they are the Pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                      Did the Pirates get enough back or are they just dumping salary? Again.
                                      On the surface, I wouldn't think this is a salary dump by the Pirates; rather, it's a move to trade a valued asset (who is more valuable with one more year after this season). This analysis suggests most of what the Pirates received isn't impactful.
                                      https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...m-pirates.html

It's always nice to have eccentric views but I don't know if they are that eccentric. Again, I acknowledge that depth is crucial. The Padres paid the price last year when depth in the rotation quickly transitioned to a deficit. And I'm seeing that this season with the Dodgers. They had more starters than needed but the injuries have taxed the bullpen and now those injuries have piled up. So, if Hosmer, Cronenworth, or Manny were to go down, Frazier is an amazing piece to plug in. And of course, adding a high average hitter is right up my alley. But most teams are not the Rays, who are all fine with rest and rotation. Most guys become a pain in the ass if they sit. The link I included above, suggest that Hosmer might sit. I'm not buying it. He's proven to a be a great team guy, but he's never had to sit.

Comment

Every night the Dodgers do at least one thing that has me thinking there is no way this team can win back to back. But then I look around the league and figure, all of the other contenders are no the 1998 Yankees.

BTW, back to the Frazier trade. I've been DVRing MLB Now since I've been gone during the day for work again. Brian Kenny basically raised the same points I raised above: this wasn't a need but the player is excellent. Dan O'Dowd, who I really like a lot as an analyst, said that you don't pass up opportunities to get good players and you figure injuries or whatever end up working out problems with too many talented players. The panel basically agreed that Preller (I called the GM Daniels above but that's the Texas GM--Preller came from that team), if he encourages or supports the manager to sit Hosmer, would be gutsy given the 4 years left on that deal. But that kind of guts wins championships. John Heyman, who is the weakest of the so-called industry experts on MLB Network added that the Padres tried hard to trade Hosmer during the last off-season but couldn't find a buyer.

Comment

Greg Proops talking about Giants, dead ball, the Negro Leagues and baseball in general. Really fun episode of a generally very good podcast. Steve Goldman of the Infinite Inning edits and is on the panel a lot or the time but it's more or a round table compared to the Infinite Inning's stories and chat.

Comment

It i supposed to be a Bob Dylan joint, but with that lineup shit is gonna happen

Comment

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1420494985070366726?s=19

Comment

Dodgers blast the Giants and with a win tomorrow would be one game out.

I have no idea how Cashman has gone from being so smart to being so stubborn and thick. Joey Gallo provides basically more of the same. Yes, he is better in the field than most people expect, but he is an all or nothing hitter just like Sanchez, just like Stanton, just like Odor. I posted a few weeks back that the Yankees seem to double down with Odor and now they do again. Boone will face the fallout from this poorly built team.

Comment

The Yankees have been obsessed with left handed power since Ruth

Comment

MLB Network news crawl is showing some serious action of trade rumors. The biggest one for our group of regular participants: Scherzer to the Padres. The second big item: Rizzo to the Yankees.

I would expect we will see something akin to Chapman but in reverse. The Cubs will be back in for Rizzo. Haha. And as I type that John Smoltz is saying the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X