No announcement yet.

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great discussion today on the R2C2 pod on The Ringer (CC Sabathia and Ryan Ruocco) with Theo Epstein about fixing baseball.
    He mentioned that the average pitcher's strikeout rate is now about 20% better than Sabathia's was. That's absurd.

Comment

Padres came back from 8-0 to win 9-8 in the bottom of the 9th last night. One of their relievers hit a grand slam!

Yu gave up 6 runs and was replaced early on.

It was a mixed series against the Nationals. They got trounced 15-5 in the previous game.

Comment

Brian Kenny was filling in for Chris Ruso on High Heat (MLB Network) and talked about the grand slam. He replayed discussion from last night that was live on MLB Tonight. He argued that the Padres needed to pinch hit. Bases loaded and 2 outs was make or break time. The pitcher was 0-1 in the major leagues and had a poor .140ish batting average in the minors. Pedro Martinez argued that after the night before the Padres couldn't burn through more pitchers. And then the pitcher hits a grand slam. In theory, I agree that a pinch hitter was needed there. The fact that the pitcher succeeded is really dumb luck and poor pitch location by Scherzer but this is the problem when a team is blown out the night before and runs out a lot of pitchers. From a "grit and guts" angle, the Padres winning that game highlights the kind of things that happen for teams that could be there or thereabouts when it's all over. The Royals in the mid-2000s were that kind of team. The Yankees in the late 1990s were that kind of team. These teams find ways to win. That is not the Dodgers this season, but is certainly the Padres.

Comment

Kenny also believes that Otanii should stop pitching, which is defensible from a pure efficiency standpoint, but certainly would reduce the volume of wonder and joy in a game that is currently short of both

Comment

I think he's just trying to be argumentative. In general, I agree that at some point doing both will drain his effectiveness at both but that point is not now since the Angels' staff is crap and he is all world at the plate.

BTW, Cubs rocking Wrigleyville uniforms today. I don't know what that's about since I don't know their history or if it's some marketing of the neighborhood. But I can't say that it's a great look. Not camo bad, but not great. They look a bit like the Mariners today.

Comment

I strongly dislike the Wrigleyville uniforms, largely because they are marketing for a neighbourhood that the Ricketts now own much of, in some cases having displaced long-time businesses and residents. But they aren't camo, and I'm always in favour of the incorporation of motifs from the city flag.

I've chatted with Kenny at various SABR events over the years and always found him a thoughtful and engaging person. It is perfectly possible that he is just "embracing debate" rather than advancing his deeply held personal opinions. In any event, Maddon is very unlikely to follow a pure efficiency model.

It is rather remarkable that the Angels are as bad as they are, given all of their inherent advantages. Moreno isn't the Wilpons, but they have massively underachieved given the resources he has put into the club.

Comment

They’re a work of art compared to the Giants City Connect uniforms.

Comment

I was going to mention that, but prefer not to give those atrocities any additional oxygen

Comment

My sense is that Moreno overrode the GM (Epler??) with the signing of Hamilton, which just added on to the poor roster construction. Then they added Upton (another all or nothing guy who is super streaky). The signing of Wilson made sense, but just didn't work. The Yankees should have looked at the Angels and avoided that type of team, but didn't. Rondon has not worked out either (so far), but they didn't need him. They needed pitching. They are out from the Pujols contract. If they can get out of Upton then they're on their way to something. But the question will be pitching.

Comment

Two p's in Eppler, but he followed DiPoto for underwhelming five year term before being fired last year.

The new guy, Perry Minasian, previously worked in Toronto and Atlanta.

Comment

I was thinking about Moreno and Hamilton. It's funny that when owners get involved they always get involved in the wrong way. Ilich forced the purchase of Prince Fielder. That was probably a worse signing than Hamilton but at least by all accounts Prince is a good guy.

Comment

Pretty much by definition, any owner's pick will be the result of his over-ruling his executives' professional judgement with his emotional personal preferences.

It is surprising that it ever works.

Comment

Thank Christ for that, the first win I've seen in weeks. Really needed that with how shit everything else is going right now.

Comment

Amateur 4 hours for the Dodgers again. Two errors and they walk in two runs in the top of the ninth against the f****ng D-backs.

Comment

Ooof

https://twitter.com/braves/status/1414060667380895751

Comment

I picked Atlanta to win the WS. This Acuna injury combined with the pitching woes has me clueless about who will win. I could see Atlanta making deals at the deadline to acquire pitching help but they can't replace Acuna.

Of course, the Dodgers can go on a run and smash teams, but I don't see that happening. It could be the Friars' year.

Comment

All-star break so we are at the half-way point. As most baseball fans know, the gap between the top team and others in points is not the same as the gap in class. For example, the Cleveland baseball club is 8 games back from the White Sox, the Mariners are 7 games back from the Astros, and the Cubs are 8 behind Milwaukee. Cleveland and the Mariners are not going to make the playoffs or catch the teams ahead of them unless some miracle happens or injuries happen to the team(s) in front. The Cubs are probably going to trade off most of their soon-to-be free agents but I think they could still win the division because Milwaukee, the Reds, and Cardinals (the latter behind the Cubs) are all inconsistent. And the Cubs have gone on legit win streaks this year.

Anyway, I'd expect that the AL East will be between the Red Sox and Rays (probably one of these taking a wild card spot), AL West same for Astros and As, AL Central only White Sox. NL East is a mess. I can't even begin to predict what will happen with this division. NL Central same thing. NL West should produce three playoff teams. No way I thought the Giants would be in front (per my predictions at the beginning of the season). It's been 2-3 years now where the NL is clearly more compressed with class than the AL.

Comment

Padres are 6 games back at the All Star Break. Several players are off being All Stars. Nice for them. I wish there was more of a focus on winning games against the teams below them on the division... like the Rockies who beat them on the 2 games before the Break.

I dunno, really. Is it a discipline thing? Is it a focus issue? Is it just the pitchers giving up too many runs? It feels like the pitching is where it really isn't working. Yu is the latest to go on the IL. Snell just seems unreliable. Most of the bull pen seem to be yo-yoing with the AAA teams.

Comment

The Yankees took a 7-2 lead into the bottom of the ninth and Aaron Boone sent Domingo Germán out to complete the third inning of a potential three-inning save. Germán put the first two men he faced in the ninth on base so Boone called on Chad Green, who immediately gave up a two-run double to Chad McCormick to make it 7-4 and then another double to Abraham Toro to make it 7-5. Nobody is out for Houston at this point. Green put another runner on, finally recorded an out, and then gave up a walkoff three-run homer to José Altuve to give the Yankees one of their more brutal losses in a season that has had its fair share of brutal losses. For context, know that MLB teams are 493-2 when leading by 4+ runs entering the 9th inning this season. The Yankees have both of those losses, with the other one coming against the Angels on June 30.

Comment

What the hell is this set/room?

Comment

It's from danielmak's favourite network in the New Jersey Meadowlands

Comment

Based on the standings board behind them, that looks to be a few years old.

Comment

It says Draft 2010 on the video board.

Comment

I didn’t notice that.
                                                  i didn’t think it was televised until more recently than that.

Comment

Joc Pedersen shipped to the Braves.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X