Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-22 in May, 2-0 in June.

Comment

Watched my first game since late night student C5 days on YouTube last night, picked a good one being 4-4 after the first inning, and as a notional Mets fan also enjoyed the outcome.

Pleased to remember most of the rules though disappeared down a Wikipedia rabbit hole when looking up the stats side of things!

Thought the presentation on YouTube was great, no adverts highlights from last night, and historical snippets, although I guess it is pitched at the casual viewer such as myself than the connoisseur. Handy timing for the European market too, is that deliberate? I’d love to see rugby league do something similar over here.

Comment

Weekday day games have always been part of the MLB schedule, largely due to travel considerations, with teams playing a day game the day before one or both teams play the next evening in another city. The Mets are in San Diego on Thursday and Arizona are in Milwaukee.

That said, these games have become a focus for YouTube, for whom the European market is not incidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
          , no adverts highlights from last night, and historical snippets
          If it's like the MLB.tv approach you'll come to pray for adverts as the same clips get repeated thousands upon thousands of times over the course of a season. It's even made me sick of Bryant's throw to win the World Series.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            Weekday day games have always been part of the MLB schedule, largely due to travel considerations, with teams playing a day game the day before one or both teams play the next evening in another city.
            I don't know if it's a coincidence or recency bias but there do seem to have been more of them this year than before, for the Cubs anyway. It seems like it's a rare week that doesn't have at least 2 afternoon games during the work week, which I don't recall being the case in the beforetimes.

Comment

I haven't done an analysis, but believe that more time has been allocated to travel due to COVID, which has resulted in more day games across MLB.

Comment

As UA wrote, COVID has impacted start times, but also the player's union negotiated for different approaches to scheduling related to off days. I think we're seeing a more unified approach to Monday and Thursday off days and more regular. I think this has been a good move. There were times when teams would play weeks in a row before having any true break. And there has been some insane travel moves in the past that COVID has forced the league to re-consider.

The league was also willing to do more 7 inning double headers, which increases day games but they did that deal at a time when there were still a lot of unknowns with states opening back up. I'm guessing we will start to see less of those one-ticket double headers since teams will want the revenue from day/night separate ticket games.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Weekday day games have always been part of the MLB schedule, largely due to travel considerations, with teams playing a day game the day before one or both teams play the next evening in another city. The Mets are in San Diego on Thursday and Arizona are in Milwaukee.

That said, these games have become a focus for YouTube, for whom the European market is not incidental.
                  Best corporate jolly games as well.

Comment

A traditionally important part of the Cubs' "game day revenues", especially from the commodities trading, banking and insurance sectors.

Comment

If the playoffs started today, it would be Dodgers-Padres for the NL Wild Card, which is nuts. Probably would be Beuhler-Darvish and that's ot a matchup I'd like for the Dodgers unless Yu reverted to his 2017 playoff form.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1400602722777264130

Comment

Gracias, Padres

Comment

Only top 5 but I love the baseball the Dodgers are playing tonight. A lot of small ball which pressured the pitcher to the point he started walking in runs. And Urias with a brilliant bunt to get a run in on a squeeze. Only downside is they have done all this with only 2 hits in the game, but I'll take the 5-1 lead.

Comment

Not quite baseball, but this is a hell of a play

https://twitter.com/ncaasoftball/status/1400986731315355649

Comment

I have been busy coaching 9u softball Ms dglh on catching foul balls behind as catcher. I really hope to see one in the next few games as it will blow other teams up to get that in the playoffs.

Comment

Master class from Snell tonight keeps the Friars ahead of LA, though still a game behind the Giants, who beat the Cubs again

Comment

The Cubs are beginning to annoy me. Sweeping us and then doing nothing useful against the Giants.

Comment

Comment

Unbelievable

Comment

Watching Dodgers-Braves on MLB app. The Fox broadcast. I always forget that whoever is in charge of hiring Fox's announcers for these jobs loves guys who sound like they are first-year college announcers: flat voice, not much bass in the voice. There is no way the Mets lead announcer or either of the Giants announcers will be hired for these gigs.

Comment

They sometimes use Len Kasper, who doesn't fit that mold.

But yes, a network whose "star" is Joe Buck will always disappoint.
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-06-2021, 00:36.

Comment

It seems the Sox have a strong investment in Chicago little league activities. Everyone has a Sox shirt. To reinforce the vibe, the Sox has a coach who looks like a sideline grandpa.

Comment

https://twitter.com/announcerskeds/status/1401188034486353926

Comment

There are guys here and there who run counter to that sound. The Dodgers' replacement for Vin had been with Fox and still is. He's borderline. I like Kasper better.

Watching the games always shows little things that will not show up in the box score. Atlanta just had a big half inning but Bellinger's attempt to throw out Acuna at home, which was never going to happen, meant Freeman went to second. Had Freeman been at first, there's no way he scores on a double and perhaps the bottom of the third ends with Atlanta up 2 or 3-1 instead of 5-1. Gotta go to the cut off man.

Comment

Amin is first generation Pakistani-American from Chicago, but went to Valpo in Indiana and sounds like it.

Joe Davis (presumably the Dodgers guy you mean) also does games for Fox.

SB learning what happens if one relies on the Baby Bears.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X