Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP
    I read somewhere that he learned how to hit by hitting bottle caps out of the air with a stick.

Tell that to all those parents spending $5,000 a year on travel ball.

Shit.

Comment

Arenado to St Louis is quite depressing, if not quite Lindor to the Mets

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous, Cal.

Congrats.

Comment

My dad found a few ticket stubs that my grandparents had saved, including tickets to the 1970 and 75 World Series. I’ll hold onto them.

$10 in ‘75.

Comment

That's great. 75 is a particularly iconic series

I have one of my dad's from 1969 (notwithstanding the related trauma), but long ago lost my own from 1964

Comment

I knew that my mom and Grandpa (big-time Brooklyn Dodger fans) had gone to a number of big games including WS games, but had no idea that there was an extremely CLEAN 1955 Game 7 ticket stub in my mom's safety deposit box.

Comment

I've seen those on EBay for over USD 1000

Comment

I did some digging as well and got estimates from collectors of $500 to $1000. My brother and I will likely flip a coin to see who gets it.

Comment

It's for a good seat, too.

Third base side in left field, fourth row. Wouldn't have been behind a pole.

Comment

Thanks for that seating info - I had no idea, except that $7.35 seemed a bit pricey 65 years ago!

Comment

Would have been the second most expensive ticket in the stadium, after the boxes just below them (which were $10.50 in 1956).

The corporate seats my father had some access to were on the other side and closer to first base, but might even have been the same row (15-20 from the field)

Comment

Reports that Sean Doolittle is about to sign for the Reds.

I'm not sure that Cincinnati is ready for him and Erin

Comment

The ticket stubs I have aren't worth very much. They're not mint, for one thing. Ebay suggests that the only way they're worth much is if they're in an intact block or signed by somebody like Carlton Fisk. The Fenway ones are probably worth more, although I suspect those peaked before 2004 when Game 6 was a bigger deal in Boston mythology. Now, winning a tight game in a series they lost probably doesn't feel as important.

Comment

MLB Network reporting that Bauer is going to Dodgers. Supposedly Bauer is also tweeting this.

I thought this was a nonsense rumor the entire time, but as I listen to Joel Sherman and Ron Darling talk about overexposure of bullpen arms being a major problem in 2020, I can see why the Dodgers would want to be 7 deep in the starting rotation.

(Skip to the end if you want to avoid a commercial): https://youtu.be/KT7nUBwzOBM
                              Last edited by danielmak; 05-02-2021, 19:59.

Comment

Will be good to have a detestable human on the team again

This batch is much too likable for me to be comfortable

Comment

I am...conflicted

Comment

Bauer's salary for this season is greater than the current payrolls of three other teams

Comment

Pedro Gomez died. He was just 58. He was one of many great baseball people ESPN had. He also covered soccer. What a downer.

Comment

That is awful news He did good work

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Bauer's salary for this season is greater than the current payrolls of three other teams
                                          Yes I saw that. One of the teams is Cleveland where they don't have many players tied down, are changing the franchise name, and the owner doesn't want to put much more money in. I'm wondering if there will be a relocation soon. There just seems to be some problems there.

Comment

O's extend their lease for 2 more seasons at OPACY, it was scheduled to run out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Yes I saw that. One of the teams is Cleveland where they don't have many players tied down, are changing the franchise name, and the owner doesn't want to put much more money in. I'm wondering if there will be a relocation soon. There just seems to be some problems there.
                                              Nah, the Dolans are just cheap and shitty. The Indians have been in Cleveland for 120 years and Cleveland, for all its problems, is a bigger combined statistical area than anywhere that doesn't have a team besides Montreal (which the Rays clearly have dibs on) and some Mexican cities.

I don't think there's a lot of places a team can move to and realistically do better than their current situation. Perhaps none besides Montreal. So I suspect some of the lease nonsense in Cleveland and Baltimore is just trying to extract leverage for some taxpayer-funded ballpark improvements.

Last edited by Flynnie; 09-02-2021, 11:14.

Comment

Any news on the new name though? I'm intrigued to see what they go with.

Comment

Spiders seems to make the most sense to me. I know there's a groundswell of support for Buckeyes due to the Negro League connection, but I think that's just inviting awkwardness and confusion in a state where college athletics is basically the big uniter.

Comment

They are struggling with getting the IP rights free and clear

The change is so long overdue that the speculation has been rife for decades, thus allowing people to get control of the IP rights to all of the likely suspects

And because the Dolans are cheap bastards, they don't want to pay for any of the rights, even though we are likely talking about one year of Replacement Level Player money

This is also the dynamic that will see the Washington Football Team play another season under that name

Comment

Working...
                                                    X