No announcement yet.

Yu Love to See It: MLB 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tatis and Hosmer are back for Greenlander's new team tonight. Myers is the only one still on the IL. Brian O'Grady is still in the line up but will presumably be heading back into obscurity when Myers returns. Pham is dropped after being rubbish yesterday. Nola is out of the line up as well which is a bit odd but it means Caratini is back in as catcher, behind the plate for Musgrove. Here's hoping they combine for another good outing.

(Mrs Thistle refers to Caratini as "Hugsy" after he jumped on Musgrove with a four limb embrace at the culmination of the no-hitter.)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Especially of "Elocution" (though he seems to have been a genuinely solid administrator).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_M._Lewis
      Yeah.
      I just recall the story of Norman Maclean, now best known for writing A River Runs Through It. He went to Dartmouth then two years later was teaching at UChicago while working on his PhD for the next 12 years. Along the way, he was dean of students. He only published two scholarly articles and only a few books of creative non-fiction. But he was supposedly a great teacher.

Comment

It was a.very.differemt time, in which the cohort of people who attended such institutions and those who instructed them was taken from a very small fraction of the overall population.

And the same was generally true of all of the professions.

Comment

Yes. Here's a handy chart.
          https://www.statista.com/statistics/...her-by-gender/

My mom's dad taught high school and later was an administrator, but he was never in a union. That just wasn't common back then, I guess. He saw himself as a professional - which teachers still are, of course - but he didn't think he needed to be in a union. I guess teachers saw themselves as "above" that, apparently.
          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-05-2021, 21:27.

Comment

Not a lot's happened so far in this game. Padres lead 1-0 at the top of the 6th thanks to a Tatis homer. It's the 2nd time this season that he has come off the IL and hit a home run in his comeback game.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1395136925317619719

Comment

Woohoo! Freaking ace, that.

Comment

Tatis has his 3rd hit in 3 at bats.

Comment

Some dickhead has run on the pitch and stopped the game.

Comment

Tatis gets his 4th hit and was 1 base away from the Cycle!

Comment

Finishes 3-0 to the Padres with an odd tag-out for the second out in the 9th. Great result. Back to back sweeps and a great return for Tatis.

danielmak would be pleased that the was a 3 hour game

Comment

Thanks you lot though I knew when I asked for your help it wouldn't solve my dilemma but make it worse. I like danielmak's radio advice which propels the Rays, Mariners and Reds right up the list but also adds the White Sox whose announcers are really good. I actually like the Yankees combination too, but they will remain off limits. Angels remain too as I'm enjoying listening to the exploits of Ohtani, though I'm also with Hot Pepsi on the red thing.

Sorry Flynnie, however much you know what's good for me the Giants just leave me cold, but I am being drawn in Patrick's Padres world. No BT sport for me but I am listening in and enjoying it. Very tempting but he should be the OTF UK based Padres person. And while teams on Eastern time should work best it doesn't really matter to me as my sleep patterns are all over the place so the Mets and Marlins are out.

Blue Jays and Brewers are still good logos but I need to make an effort to tune in.

I've got to say even though they seem incapable of making the playoffs and show no sign of breaking their cycle of disappointment I'm being drawn more and more towards the Pacific Northwest.

So I'm really no closer, I guess with, what 120 games to go, I've got a little while yet to work it out.

Comment

The Rays’ local TV announcer is dull.

Comment

Kluber with this evening's no hitter

This is ridiculous

Comment

Pitchers are chasing K's. Hitters are OK striking out. So what's the big deal? It's destroying the sport.

Comment

Love a 3-hour game. Focused on football tonight so don't know if I'll see much of the Dodgers game. Watched two innings 4th and 5th, but since it will not likely end in 3 hours, could get back in time to see the end.

I don't know who is doing the Rays broadcast. I lived in Tampa for 4 years and my move coincided with the first year of the team. The Yankees were on another AM station so they were my go-to (again, Sterling and Kay were still on the call so that was good). I think the Rays are a great story, but my only fear would be as a neutral choosing a team that they might not be there very long. They are focused on an area slightly north of downtown Tampa and if that deal falls through, who knows what they will do. That dome is horrible; it really is very sterile. But I don't think the location is horrible. Tampa has the largest population in that area but St Pete is very easy to reach from Tampa and that location also means St. Pete and Clearwater are accessible. Tampa becomes farther for that last group, but maybe could draw people from Lakeland and Orlando. Mariners should be stable, Reds and White Sox sure aren't moving.

Comment

Of course (or maybe not), the White Sox were on the verge of moving to the area before the Devil Rays were formed

https://www.thesportschief.com/new-b...ite-sox-almost

Comment

Greenlander There are already (at least) two Padres fans on OTF, not just me.

Comment

From a NL West perspective this weekend's series between the Dodgers and Giants feels important. Dodgers could go ahead of the Giants or end up 5 games behind. I'm nor sure what the baseball equivalent of a "six pointer" would be but it has that feeling.

(yes, I know it's only May and we are only a quarter of the season down)

All 3 games are on BT Sport over the weekend.

Comment

On the basis of the first quarter of the seasons, it would be a crime if any of those three failed to make the postseason. The only NL club playing at close to their level is St Louis.

There are a lot of people whose surprise at the Giants has led them to believe that they will crack and fade at the first sign of real adversity. I am not at all sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                            Love a 3-hour game. Focused on football tonight so don't know if I'll see much of the Dodgers game. Watched two innings 4th and 5th, but since it will not likely end in 3 hours, could get back in time to see the end.

I don't know who is doing the Rays broadcast. I lived in Tampa for 4 years and my move coincided with the first year of the team. The Yankees were on another AM station so they were my go-to (again, Sterling and Kay were still on the call so that was good). I think the Rays are a great story, but my only fear would be as a neutral choosing a team that they might not be there very long. They are focused on an area slightly north of downtown Tampa and if that deal falls through, who knows what they will do. That dome is horrible; it really is very sterile. But I don't think the location is horrible. Tampa has the largest population in that area but St Pete is very easy to reach from Tampa and that location also means St. Pete and Clearwater are accessible. Tampa becomes farther for that last group, but maybe could draw people from Lakeland and Orlando. Mariners should be stable, Reds and White Sox sure aren't moving.
                                            St Pete is hard to reach from Tampa or most of the region in reasonable time. There was a study. IIRC, that found the Trop was the hardest MLB stadium for people to get to within an hour. It’s good for my brother, who lives in St Pete, but even for him, it’s a bit of a drive in traffic. He lives much closer to The Rowdies.

There is no rail service of any kind, despite my brother’s efforts as ceo of Pinellas county transit. The people who live there, by and large, moved there to die cheap and wouldn’t vote for anything that sounded like new taxes.

Comment

On the basis of the first quarter of the seasons, it would be a crime if any of those three failed to make the postseason. The only NL club playing at close to their level is St Louis.

There are a lot of people whose surprise at the Giants has led them to believe that they will crack and fade at the first sign of real adversity. I am not at all sure of that.
                                              They've already had a couple key contributors go on the IL in Yaz II and Cueto, that's adversity to me.

I'd be lying if I said I expected them to be this good. But the media has been completely asleep at the wheel about the Giants for a couple years now, with a few exceptions like Keith Law and Jim Callis (both farm system experts), and there are some surprises we perhaps should have seen coming. Posey opting out coming off hip surgery means he's finally healthy for the first time in years. Cueto is fully healthy (well....at least in term of big picture injuries like TJ). They have made changes to the ballpark to make it more hitter friendly, which means they can go get big lumps who can sock the ball and actually get a return on them besides just flyball outs. Gausman was a former top prospect, they put a lot of faith in their coaching staff to get the most out of players and that has been successful over the last couple years.

The best part is they're still strengthening the farm system without having to put out embarrassing teams like the Astros did or the Tigers are doing, it's a top 10 system now.

Comment

I feel like I was promised this earlier in this thread, even.

The many Dodgers Giants games coming up are going to be a real test - and will hopefully take some of the pressure off the Padres to win literally every game in order to just tread water in the division.

Comment

I completely forgot that Donovan Solano spent a month on the IL too.

Comment

So at this rate it'll be about what, 25 no hitters by the end of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X