• Show
Clear All

Never in doubt

Comment

Thank fuck for that.

Comment

Wade Miley of the Reds with a no hitter through eight in Cleveland

Comment

Miley does it. Last time there were this many no hitters this early in the season: 1917.

Meanwhile Manaea has a no hitter through 7 at home against the Rays.

Comment

Manea loses his along with the shutout in the eighth

Comment

Dodgers being shelled in Anaheim

Urias didn't have it tonight, and Joe Kelly has poured gasoline on the fire, thereby increasing his ERA to 54.00

Comment

I switched from Dodgers game to football. No coming back from this score. At least one team has ended their losing streak. Last night the Dodgers had only announced Urias so who knows what the next couple days will look like. Luckily they started 13-2 (or 3) to buffer this horrible run.

Comment

Uceta got them out of the inning after Pollock hurt himself misplaying a Trout hit, thereby keeping Kelly's ERA from increasing further.

Oop north, two homers have erased the Giants' 4-0 lead against the Friars.

Comment

This is useful.

Comment

Thanks for that HP, an enlightening listen.

And in minor league news the Tampa Tarpons have started the season with four wins, the scores of 11-7, 19-9, 10-6 and 25-10.

Comment

I saw a news report last week on MLB Network about changes to minor league baseball. I don't know if those changes are implemented now or next year but they are raising the pay for players, which is good news. But I think they were cutting the amount of teams since they seem to believe that there is too much bloat with too many players who at best will play a few games in the show.

Comment

The cutting of minor league teams has been a disaster for a lot of small cities that lost their team or saw it demoted or cast out into the “independent” leagues which struggle to survive because affiliated baseball takes most of the viable markets and owns the rights to almost all of the players.

The point of the minors should not just be to feed players to the majors, but because of how the draft works, MLB pretty much owns all the players and now it controls the minors leagues themselves.

They could have paid all the minor league players more for the cost of a few major league relief pitchers, but instead they kneecapped a lot of small towns - including those that paid public money for stadiums - just to increase the power of their monopoly over the sport.

We had a New York Penn League team. The New York Penn League is almost 100 years old. It was the first or second pro team for many future major leaguers. For example, my own local team once had Brock Holt and Luke Voit.

Now it’s gone and we’re going to play in the “Draft League” which is going to be a glorified scouting combine for undrafted players. I doubt it will survive.

It’s a fucking travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                            Thanks for that HP, an enlightening listen.

And in minor league news the Tampa Tarpons have started the season with four wins, the scores of 11-7, 19-9, 10-6 and 25-10.
                            I misread that as Tampa Tampons

Comment

I actually get to watch the Padres tonight as the game is on BT Sport. At 9pm. A most reasonsable hour.

Comment

The interview with Theo is interesting. I will be eager to see what happens. I'm a broken record on this one: there is already a rule about batters staying in the box, but the umps refuse to enforce that rule. The players fought against a pitch clock (probably as a negotiating tactic but who knows). As Theo said, unless they remove the loophole of stepping off the rubber then the pitch clock will be as useless as the batter staying in the box rule.

Then the question is what to actually do that people will accept. Everybody seems to be complaining about the man on second this year. But I wonder how many of the complaints come from people who actually watch games. The MLB Network dudes basically watch whiparound so they could care less if a game runs long. But as a fan, I find myself so irritated once I'm beyond 3.5 hours. I either turn it off (which doesn't seem what MLB or TV networks want) or my irritation increases (not a good way to maintain fandom). And even with the man on second, extra innings seem to last so much longer than regular innings because the pitchers are so concerned about perfection.

I have resisted the idea of banning the shift, since I think professional hitters should be able to spray the ball to all fields. If they can't, they shouldn't be in the major leagues. But I do find the arguments (as Theo expresses in that interview) about pitching improvements rapidly outpacing hitting sophistication to be effective. So, perhaps banning the shift in combination with limiting the amount of pitchers on the roster could help.

At the end of the day, the pace of play issue is obviously most important for viewers who are not in the ballpark. I think going to game is annoying if it lasts 4 hours. But the rhythm of a game sits with chitchatting with friends. Watching on TV, phone, computer is where the length of game and lack of action is a real problem.

Comment

I've only ever been to 4 games. I stayed right to the end each time and I never felt bored.

I felt very cold at one of them. But not bored.

Comment

I'm guessing it's "free sunhat day" at Oracle Park today.

Comment

"Mother's Day Hats" presented by Ghiradelli Chocolate (today and tomorrow)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        The cutting of minor league teams has been a disaster for a lot of small cities that lost their team or saw it demoted or cast out into the “independent” leagues which struggle to survive because affiliated baseball takes most of the viable markets and owns the rights to almost all of the players.

The point of the minors should not just be to feed players to the majors, but because of how the draft works, MLB pretty much owns all the players and now it controls the minors leagues themselves.

They could have paid all the minor league players more for the cost of a few major league relief pitchers, but instead they kneecapped a lot of small towns - including those that paid public money for stadiums - just to increase the power of their monopoly over the sport.

We had a New York Penn League team. The New York Penn League is almost 100 years old. It was the first or second pro team for many future major leaguers. For example, my own local team once had Brock Holt and Luke Voit.

Now it’s gone and we’re going to play in the “Draft League” which is going to be a glorified scouting combine for undrafted players. I doubt it will survive.

It’s a fucking travesty.
                                        The Trenton Thunder getting the Yanks yanked away to Bildgewater was a kick in the teeth. We WERE going to be in that draft league...

....But, uh, somehow we're the Buffalo Bisons. (I was checking the schedule, and I couldn't figure out how the draft league had so many games against the Rochester Red Wings and RailRiders.)

​​​​​​https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/04...nder/baseball/

Comment

Tatis makes his 29th error of the season.

Not that it matters really because the Giants have just hit another multi-run homer and lead by 6 in the bottom of the 8th.

Comment

Well unsurprisingly the Padres lost that one. The difference seemed to be the Giants actually hitting homers and the Padres not.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post

The Trenton Thunder getting the Yanks yanked away to Bildgewater was a kick in the teeth. We WERE going to be in that draft league...

....But, uh, somehow we're the Buffalo Bisons. (I was checking the schedule, and I couldn't figure out how the draft league had so many games against the Rochester Red Wings and RailRiders.)

​​​​​​https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/04...nder/baseball/
                                              I think Trenton is still planning to be in the Draft League, but this Bisons thing is temporary while the Blue Jays are in Buffalo because of COVID-19 restrictions on border crossings. Again, the whole sport is made to serve the major leagues.

Comment

Yeah, it is a bizarre situation

They are playing as the Trenton Thunder at home and the Buffalo Bison on the road

Where the Draft League team will play remains a mystery with the season only two weeks away

Comment

danielmak has not been imagining things

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1391210397592481792

Comment

Yeah, I'm feeling the pain of those stranded runners.

Had my first outdoor get together with some work colleagues who are all vaccinated. Got home to see the Dodgers leading 14-3. Roberts has multiple guys playing out of position, which leads to 2 errors (or should be errors) followed by a double down the line. 14-6. So I decided to take the night off. I get that 14-3 requires some consideration of player rest, but not amidst this losing streak and against an Angels team that needs wins and will not want to be embarrassed in a freeway series. Gotta lock down a game like this one, so I'm back to football for the night to lower my level of anger. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X