Sport on Christmas Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sport on Christmas Day

Today there are football matches in countries such as Bolivia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Israel, Ethopia, Morocco and Turkey. Bolivia is kind of an interesting outlier here for a variety of reasons.

Any other sports taking place?

The NBA has made a big thing of Christmas Day games for years.

Comment

Also college football bowl games (the Camelia Bowl in Montgomery this year)

The World Junior (Ice) Hockey tournament, an absolute staple of Canadian holiday programming

And the Four Hills Ski Jumping tournament, which serves a similar televisual purpose in German-speaking Europe

Comment

There's horse racing in France - a jumps meeting at Cagnes-sur-Mer and trotting at Vincennes.

Comment

What exactly is trotting?

Comment

In the NFL Minnesota Vikings play the New Orleans Saints later today.

Comment

Trotting is chariot racing isn't it?

Is there much sport on Christmas Eve in Europe east of the Rhine?

Comment

Trotting (called harness racing in North America)

Comment

Trotting's the one where the horses have to keep one foot on the ground. So it's like chariot racing, except done at walking pace, and they all dress like Prince.

Comment

East of the Rhine would include KHL ice hockey in Russia on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Comment

Of course today is not Christmas in the Russian Orthodox calendar

Comment

I hadn't seen this thread. I put this elsewhere.

Comment

I know I've mentioned this previously over the years on OTF but I once knew a Blackburn Rovers fan who travelled to see them play at West Ham on Christmas Day in 1963. He was naturally delighted with an.8-2 win. 48 hours later they played the traditional Christmas return fixture at Blackburn only for West Ham to win 3-1.
                          Last edited by Tony C; 25-12-2020, 23:59.

Comment

In cricket a few Tests were played on Christmas Day between 1951 and 1979, the last being India v Pakistan in Kanpur, which is the only one that started on that day. Boxing Day Tests in Australia start when it's still Christmas Day in the northern hemisphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              In cricket a few Tests were played on Christmas Day between 1951 and 1979, the last being India v Pakistan in Kanpur, which is the only one that started on that day. Boxing Day Tests in Australia start when it's still Christmas Day in the northern hemisphere.
                              New Zealand too.

Comment

Derek Quinnell, Phil Bennett, Allan Martin: Wales and Lions stars on Christmas Day games

Comment

Working...
                                X