No announcement yet.

A World Cup Year? Rugby League 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cas won, so the world is fine; Leigh lost, so the world's back to normal.

Comment

Super League have extended the Sky TV deal, reportedly down from 40m a year to 25m. However it is not exclusive and there is speculation of maybe ten live games a year on terrestrial TV (which means the BBC really). Sky are also committed to putting some of their games on their more accessible channels.

The lower divisions may go onto Premier / Freesports.

Meanwhile in yet another bout involving bald men and a comb, a new comp is launching in North America which currently is not sanctioned by the governing body. The NARL will involve 14 teams with Toronto and Ottawa playing each other, and the 12 US teams playing in two conferences.

It means the Ottawa and New York clubs will not be joining the RFL competitions, and the backers of those clubs are backing this new league instead. Somebody has to be paying for it because they can't have fans in and there is no TV deal in place, but the teams have player budgets of 300,000 dollars each.

Comment

Bugger.

Comment

It isn't 100% sour grapes after our 2 point extra time bollocks loss to Leeds (albeit two really poor teams), but what the bloody buggering hell is wrong with a draw?

This is not a vintage Wakefield Trinity season. I was going to be sober tonight, but I can only watch Trin with 5 pint's worth of cans and octuple measures of Cointreau.

In fact, I hate watching my team live or on telly. A BBC Sport update suffices so that I can message my friends and family and have a right good moan. Shit, shit and more shit.

Comment

Lively times in the Balkans.

https://twitter.com/EuroRugbyLeague/status/1393955726863831040?s=19

Comment

After the reopening of Odsal at the weekend for the first stock car meeting in 23 years, it was great news today that the Bulls will be back in their home ground from next weekend too.

Comment

Any more news on the potential return of speedway there?

Comment

Not seen anything, but the track is down now so that ought to give a degree of certainty to a promoter who wants to explore the prospect.

Comment

I went to Odsal a couple of times 30 years ago in the Bradford Northern days when they played Trin. As a child it seemed massive. It is massive. An iconic venue and criminal not to be used. The players seemed tiny from the back of the terraces.

Comment

Hmmm, Saints try there could be described as "within the rules but not in the spirit of the game".

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        Hmmm, Saints try there could be described as "within the rules but not in the spirit of the game".
                        I'll have to look this up later

Comment

"I would have too," seems to be the unanimous verdict from the former players on or around the broadcast. Doesn't look like it will be the deciding score at any rate.

Comment

The commentator and presenter were playing up the angle of "is that the right thing to do" while all of the ex-pros said variations of "all's fair, I would have done the same".

Comment

Or what Benjm said, much more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I'll have to look this up later
                                https://twitter.com/TheChallengeCup/status/1401179247335649286?s=19

Comment

My mum had a favourite weddings and occasions jacket in the '80s that was the same shade of pink as the officials' shirts.

Emotion. Tradition. Rugby League.

Comment

My opinion is that it's poor, but then I'm no pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                      Doesn't look like it will be the deciding score at any rate.
                                      Ha, there was a more straightforward route to honouring that prediction, Saints!

Very enjoyable game.

Comment

Wemberlee here we come!

Comment

If I can get a ticket, I can get the 182 from the end of our road...

Comment

I wonder what the ticketing arrangements will be. There's an announcement on Monday apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              If I can get a ticket, I can get the 182 from the end of our road...
                                              I'm almost pleased for you, GO. Winky thing.

in truth, Cas blew Wire away in that first half. Very impressive and a fitting send off for Powell if they can win at Wemberlee.

Comment

State of Origin game 1 not long from kick off. Taking place in Townsville which is a very pleasing development.

Comment

But of a massacre for NSW. Which will be a severe disappointment for the Townsville crowd, given that they'll have waited for ages (ever?) to have an origin match up there. (and yes, there is a crowd)

Comment

.....and NSW were grumbling about having two away games this year! This game was supposed to be at MCG, but was moved late because of the change in restrictions in Victoria. And yes first time Townsville has hosted, or any other "regional" venue for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X