A World Cup Year? Rugby League 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A World Cup Year? Rugby League 2021

Hopefully 12 months from now we'll be reflecting a successful World Cup, and if it goes ahead I'll be drinking it in, and hopefully seeing some fellow OTFers along the way.

The NRL has announced a number of rule changes, and where the NRL goes the rest tends to follow, so look out for these developments on the horizon:
    • the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out;
    • six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements;
    • penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls "break";
    • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline;
    • The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light;
    • injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped;
    • when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt;
    • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot.
    Newcastle Thunder have been bumped up into the Championship but no decision yet on who moves up into Super League.

Beyond that, f*** knows what's going on.

I hate all these rules changes and I'm far from convinced that going back to two points for a drop goal (albeit a long distance one) is a good idea. As WFD says we will probably follow suit. I'd also ban all water carriers.

I'll be getting our new home shirt for Christmas as usual from my parents.

Comment

Has it been mentioned that The Dons Trust are canvassing members about a potential deal for London Broncos to become Wimbledon's tenants at Plough Lane?

Comment

Hadn't seen that, interesting move if it comes off - more accessible than some places they've played at over their existence.

Comment

....and Leigh get the bump up into Super League.

Comment

Ground sharing with football teams hasn?t always been a spectacular success for rugby league teams. Then again, the Broncos sharing at Ealing Trailfinders isn?t an ideal solution either and when I was last there the ground was very basic, although the bar was so excellent that one Wakefield swain had drunk too much and pissed himself (it wasn?t me). That was before half-time...

As for Leigh, I guess it?s the safe choice. The expansionists will be furious that it?s another traditional M62 corridor club though.

Comment

I think the Broncos at Plough Lane was dependent on them getting elevated to the top tier so may be shelved now...at least temporarily.

Comment

Has anyone received WC21 tickets yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                  Has anyone received WC21 tickets yet?
                  I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

I haven't.
                    Me neither. Have you had an indication that your ticket applications have been successful?

Comment

Yes, when I login to my ticket account I can see the tickets I booked. Can't remember if I got an email confirmation though?

Comment

Just been on the RLWC21 website and it was a damned site easier to navigate than in October/November. All games I wanted are booked:

Tonga v PNG (St Helens 26/10)
                        Wales v Cook Is (Leigh 27/10)
                        Eng v France (Bolton 30/10)
                        PNG v Cook Is (Warrington 2/11)
                        Tonga v Cook Is (Middlesbrough 7/11)

Will probably book a QF later. The potential match up at Bolton at that stage looks promising.

Comment

As mentioned in the covering tweet, the most significant part of this is the potential TV deal, but still, WTF are they doing committing ?750,000 of money they haven't got, to pay someone to find someone to fleece them out of the rest of the money they haven't got?

https://twitter.com/rugbyleagueontv/status/1353716088320749568?s=19

Comment

Well the Super League fixtures are out and we've got a home game with Leeds. At their ground. Oh Covid, you bastard. Going home and watching a live game still seems like a long way off.

Comment

I see the world of League is going to be lucky enough to be touched by the hand of Gav ;

Challenge Cup: Gavin Henson excited by West Wales Raiders opportunity

Comment

Gav’s conversion now complete. RL “better to play and watch than Union.“

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/56460162

West Wales Raiders v Widnes Vikings live on BBC iplayer this afternoon.

Comment

"I am fit & healthy and my captors are treating me well."

Comment

That would be the RU angle, I daresay.

Comment

Cracking effort just in vain by Leigh against Wigan. Sadly this maybe the pinnacle of their season but even so, it was a tremendous effort.

Comment

Arse biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                                          Cracking effort just in vain by Leigh against Wigan. Sadly this maybe the pinnacle of their season but even so, it was a tremendous effort.
                                          Apparently it was. At 18-0 up they must have been dreaming of the great start to the season promoted teams badly need. As a side point it was good to see Liam Hood playing well. He spent a short time at Widnes where he was terrific but later had some personal issues and dropped out of the game for a while. Glad to see him enjoying his rugby again. Very talented player, and one of four ex-Widnes players in the Leigh squad last night.
                                          Last edited by Tony C; 27-03-2021, 08:44.

Comment

I watched Leigh beat Saints in a pre season testimonial and they looked decent, so it might not have been a flash in the pan last night.

I've got no regular Super League coverage this year, I'm not even sure I get the free Sky Sports channel that they occasionally put games on.

I have bought Watch NRL for the season however and it is great value. Normally I'd be restricted to watching on weekends but working at home means I can have the Thursday and Friday games on in the background.

Comment

So HKR jpin Leigh in scratching their heads in amazement at losing games they really and should have won. Hopefully the pair of then can learn and build upon the opening weekend or it's going to be a long season for both.

Comment

Indeed a great effort in the last 25 by HKR to haul
                                                back a 28-4 deficit only to lose it on golden point. I’ve always liked Ryan Hall and it was good to see him re-introduce himself to SL with a hat-trick after a difficult time in Australia. Although unfancied, HKR may make more of an impact on the competition than many expect -coach Tony Smith has apparently re-ignited his love of the game and they have made some shrewd, if low-key signings for the new season.

Some very good matches over the weekend overall so far which bodes well for a healthy competition.

Comment

Bugger bugger bugger. Trin had every opportunity to beat Leeds. Both teams weakened, but with Jowett out our fullback Walker is lightweight. We also missed Kyle Wood and Eddie Battye. Tom Johnstone deservedly man of the match for those tries and that after 2 ACL injuries as well. The penalty count and the one-on-one ball steals killed us. Still, a chance for me to wear my new home shirt and rant at the telly!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X