Gimme Hope Jo'anna: Rugby in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Have Cardiff and the Scarlets managed to start their journey home to avoid the quarantine deadline?
    Cardiff and Scarlets facing 10-day hotel isolation upon return from South Africa
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Apparently not.

Comment

I don't know what kind of crowd is expected for Barbarians v Samoa at The Heart of Darkness today but I find it very strange that Harlequins are playing over the road at the same time, in a London derby at that.

The Baa-Baas game is one I'd normally be keen on seeing but I never fancy the idea of doing so in a less-than-full Twickenham. It's love on BBC1, by the way.

Comment

It's love on BBC1, by the way.
        Who's loving whom?!

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
          World Rugby changes rules to allow players to switch national teams - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59406025

This is great news, as it starts from 2022 I think it'll bit's suitable thread title.
          Don't forget this is happening next year too.

https://twitter.com/worldrugby/status/1432629063076749314?s=21

Comment

I don't know what kind of crowd is expected for Barbarians v Samoa at The Heart of Darkness today but I find it very strange that Harlequins are playing over the road at the same time, in a London derby at that.

The Baa-Baas game is one I'd normally be keen on seeing but I never fancy the idea of doing so in a less-than-full Twickenham. It's love on BBC1, by the way.
            Then again, fucking hell!

https://twitter.com/barbarian_fc/status/1464582694738837513?s=21

Comment

One silver lining of events at Twickenham is that the women's game was watched by a world record crowd for a women's rugby match, 29,581, and was also shown on BBC1.

It's a real blow for the Baa Baas though, especially after last season's cancellation due to covid breaches by players, not that this was the cause this time.

Comment

It gets worse for Cardiff :

https://twitter.com/steffan_thomas1/status/1464962747012104193?s=21

Comment

Cardiff and Munster are still in South Africa, the latter have had one confirmed case. The Scarlets and Zebre have both left.

Next weekend's European games look in trouble, well at least four already cannot go ahead.

Comment

Munster are in their way home, bar the one positive case and the close contact.

Cardiff meanwhile are stuck in their hotel rooms doing fitness from YouTube.

It's apparently a UK government issue as to why they cannot come home.

Comment

Munster have now had a further nine positive Covid tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                        Munster have now had a further nine positive Covid tests.
                        And are still in South Africa.

It looks like Cardiff will be flying home on Thursday.

The Scarlets are in Belfast isolating.

All three sides are facing 28-0 defeats in their European matches which seems ridiculously harsh.

Comment

Munster have now left South Africa, but a further four Covid positives were detected before their departure.

Comment

I presume the positives are staying and quarantining.

Comment

I keep watching this, I love it almost as much as Tompkins' try against Australia ;

https://twitter.com/premiersportstv/status/1464908840508526595?s=21

Comment

Scarlets forfeit their match against Bristol yet Cardiff continue to prepare to face Toulouse with an extremely depleted squad.

Comment

A ridiculously watchable Racing have started off pulverising Northampton at Franklin Gardens in the opening Heineken game of the season. They stormed in to a 0-23 lead though the Saints have pulled a converted try back with half time five minutes away.

Comment

Cardiff and Munster are set to put out very weakened sides, a loss by more than 28 points will make the Scarlets decision seem sensible. My fear is that some of the semi pros and academy players will get hurt playing against seasoned pros.

Comment

However all of this seems unimportant after the news that Ospreys hooker Ifan Phillips, the son of ex Neath and Wales hooker Kevin Phillips, suffered life changing injuries at the weekend in a motorcycle accident. No other details have been given.

Comment

Finished 14-45 in Northampton which flattered the hosts. Hard to judge exactly how much of Racing's five tries were due to unstoppable attacking skill and power and how much was rancid defence. The balance was probably towards the former though.

Comment

Cardiff's combination of a handful of internationals and academy kids, semi-pros and formerly retired players come out of their game with more credit than Northampton in a 7-39 defeat that was closer than the scoreline suggests, if never any problem for a cruising Toulouse.

Comment

For all Leinster's own Covid issues, they're already 19-6 up on Bath, and on the brink of the bonus.

Comment

And there it comes.

Comment

No flowers, please, donations if desired, etc.

Comment

Bath are a truly dreadful team, Hooper might be a beloved old boy but he's a terrible coach.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X