Gimme Hope Jo'anna: Rugby in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Perfect dirt tracker material, and since Gatland has probably already chosen his first team, Daly's ability to play in three different positions with varying levels of success gives him a bench slot for the Tests.
    Do you think the test side is that nailed on?

Front 5, number 8 and back 3 but I think the rest is up for grabs albeit with strong favourites.

Comment

The test side can never be nailed on. Every tour since the start of the pro era has been riddled with injuries, which is why I never get pundits submitting their starting 15 before the tour even begins.

Comment

The John Dawes funeral coverage has been very emotional, especially on the day the Lions squad is announced :

Comment

Glenn Delaney leaves the Scarlets with immediate effect. He came to the club as defense coach, was promoted to head coach when Brad Mooar left to join the All Blacks. Last month he was moved to director of Rugby from next season to accommodate Dwayne Peel; and now he's gone.

It's been clear for a long time that the club has lost its way after Pivac, Jones and Hayward left to join Wales and Ioan Cunningham was let go. With a number of players leaving at the end of the season it might get worse before it gets better.

Comment

I presume they'll put Peel in full control when he arrives and won't bother with a DoR (always a pretty nebulous role and title) at all?

Comment

Say what you like about Sinckler but this is a pretty poor headline from The Rugby Paper in response to this interview.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSG-oH4WNqU

Comment

Yeah, that is a very selective quote which hugely misrepresents the general very impressive tone and content of what Sinckler said.

Comment

Mike Brown looks like he's ended his Harlequins career with a yellow card and then a red for stamping on an opponents' face, his ban should comfortably cover the rest of their fixtures this season.

Speaking of red cards, both Cardiff and the Dragons picked one up today in their Rainbow Cup game but, under the ludicrous trial of being able to bring on a replacement for the sent off player after twenty minutes, Cardiff could bring themselves back up to 15 men before the final whistle while the Dragons card was too late in the game to allow them to do so.

Absolutely nonsensical.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-05-2021, 15:31.

Comment

Quins make light of the one man deficit for most of the second half to eventually win with a try right on the 80 minute mark from Marcus Smith which he converts to win 48-46. A ludicrous, fantastic game with twelve tries shared equally between the sides.

I've been saying for years that England need to be building their team around Smith, he's probably the most impressive outside half in Europe.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-05-2021, 16:18.

Comment

Yer SuperRugby winners are Crusaders and Queensland Reds

The former have signed Argentine captain Matera for next season, which may herald a trend

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Yeah, that is a very selective quote which hugely misrepresents the general very impressive tone and content of what Sinckler said.
                        From what I've read and seen be seemed genuinely gutted and nothing else. I also expect to see him on the reserve list of it's made public.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Yer SuperRugby winners are Crusaders and Queensland Reds

The former have signed Argentine captain Matera for next season, which may herald a trend
                          Do you mean of Los Jaguares heading to NZ? Sounds like a decent move for all concerned as it'll match Los Pumas matches.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gloucesterrugby/status/1391021932775190534?s=19

This try from LRZ looks like anyone could finish it, but watch it again and the pass is slightly behind him and the cover is coming across. I think he's good enough to play for the Lions test side.

Comment

He captained Argentina in their win over the All Blacks

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                He captained Argentina in their win over the All Blacks
                                Oh I know who he is, historically Argentina have had players in Australia but I wonder if this will be the start of more?

Comment

That's what I wonder as well. It would be interesting to see if there is a movement away from France as the default club destination, particularly given los Jaguares' extended period in limbo.

Comment

France and England is where the money is unfortunately so I'm guessing this is more rugby related.

Comment

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1391414930541367300?s=19

Here's the Mike Brown red card. It's a red in the 80s when that was tolerated. Truly awful.

Comment

Way to end your Quins career, first red in 400 games. Big ban coming, no excuses.

No mitigation whatsoever, but it would be nice if prone players stopped grabbing other players. You're on the floor, you're out of the game.

Comment

Nothing about the two European finals, Montpellier beat Leicester by a point and Toulouse win their fifth title by defeating La Rochelle.

Comment

I was at both finals but have been so busy this week I've not had a chance to write up any of the sport I've been to yet.

Really enjoyed both games in differing ways, Montpelier outplaying Leicester's dull grunt power game was very welcome and today's match was just ferocious chaos. I'd have liked to see how it finished with 15 v 15 but Bothia had to go, though I thought Toulouse got some favourable calls from Pearce in general.

The atmosphere was surprisingly very good for only 10,000 fans, especially given there were no officially traveling supporters today and a lot of neutrals. Both games seemed to have a hell of a lot of Irish at them actually.

Great to see live rugby after 15 months, May put some more thoughts down when I've caught up on the highlights.

Comment

Looks like Raging Kyle Sinckler is getting the call after Andrew Porter injured his foot.

Comment

Dan Biggar absolutely running the show for Northampton who are 18-0 up at half time against Exeter even though they had a man sent off at 5-0. Got to be the Lions 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                                  Looks like Raging Kyle Sinckler is getting the call after Andrew Porter injured his foot.
                                                  Warren Gatland,
                                                  “As always in rugby, when there’s an injury there’s an opportunity for someone else. I have been very pleased to see the way Kyle has responded to initially being left out of the touring party. He has showed some excellent form of late and I hope he continues to stick two fingers up to me about leaving him out in the first place.”

There will be other withdrawals and other injuries giving players like Sinckler the opportunity to be like Ryan Jones or Alex Corbiserio.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                    Dan Biggar absolutely running the show for Northampton who are 18-0 up at half time against Exeter even though they had a man sent off at 5-0. Got to be the Lions 10.
                                                    Exeter presumably made good use of the extra man.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X