Gimme Hope Jo'anna: Rugby in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimme Hope Jo'anna: Rugby in 2021

Just under three weeks early but I think that this announcement deserves a new thread and could also launch the new calendar year one.

Nigel Owens has said that he's retiring from international rugby with immediate effect but will continue with the PRO14.

Probably the finest referee ever and hugely respected by all.

Thanks for everything you've given to the game.

Yes, a great referee and an all round good bloke.

Comment

Has he retired, though, or do we have to wait a few days for the TMO to confirm it?

Comment

Nice little collection of quotes from him here and also a short video of him discussing his leaving and career.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...s-one-19443805

A class act, enjoy your retirement Nigel.

Comment

A strange choice of subject and title for the annual rugby thread in a year when the Lions (hopefully) tour the home of the World Champions.

I love Nigel but he's allowed the Celebrity Ref thing to be far too dominant in recent years which is never healthy.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-12-2020, 14:37.

Comment

Happy to change the thread title, I'm not really sure that Nigel let fame get to him, still a quality referee and he'll be missed.

Do you really think the Lions tour will go ahead? The players are going to be shattered and Covid-19 is still not under control, I know we're talking about 7 months away.

Comment

Up to you on the title, obviously - though I think Snake would need to change it.

The Lions organisation are saying very distinctly (both publicly and privately) that they expect the tour to go ahead but obviously nobody knows anything for sure right now.

Comment

Not sure how that's going to work with Covid-19 and the traveling. Does this mean that they'll eventually play in the European competitions?

What's happening with the Jaguares now that Super Rugby is no more?

Basing them in Spain and include them in European rugby was previously discussed.

Comment

Wales lock Jake Ball will quit international rugby to be with his family in Australia at the end of the season.

A completely understandable decision but we will really miss Ball, who is a really underrated player, especially as AWJ's age is going to finally tell some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    Wales lock Jake Ball will quit international rugby to be with his family in Australia at the end of the season.

A completely understandable decision but we will really miss Ball, who is a really underrated player, especially as AWJ's age is going to finally tell some time.
                    This. Extremely underrated.

His physical edge really makes a difference for Wales and the Scarlets and he'll be tough to replace, Will Rowlands possibly can.

Comment

https://twitter.com/charris_13/status/1345472530182795264?s=19

This is red and a huge ban, but it'll get very little. This is why rugby isn't safe at the moment when players can do this and get away with it.

Comment

This seems far-fetched but who knows any more?

The British and Irish Lions series with South Africa could be held in the UK if Covid-19 prevents fans from travelling.

Reversing the venue is among the contingency plans discussed by the Lions board in the event that the trip has to be abandoned.

Comment

Cometh the hour, cometh Dai Young, surely?

John Mulvihill: Cardiff Blues head coach leaves region

Comment

https://twitter.com/telegraphsport/status/1347886753642905601?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              Cometh the hour, cometh Dai Young, surely?

John Mulvihill: Cardiff Blues head coach leaves region
                              And he does. Dai Young is back.

Comment

European postponement now officially confirmed.

Comment

Also this ;

English Premiership Rugby to take mid-season break after suspension of Champions Cup and Challenge Cup seasons

I wonder if and when they will actually restart.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-01-2021, 18:55.

Comment

A bizarre incident helped decide the (pretty entertaining) Scottish derby earlier :

https://twitter.com/stvsport/status/1350530973235077123?s=21

Comment

Steelers: How anti-gay row inspired rugby film

Comment

In a sad coincidence, Mark Bingham (the man whose conduct on 9/11 inspired the Bingham Cup)'s mom Alice Hoagland died at 71. She was pretty well known around the gay rugby community. I never played the Fog (the club Bingham founded) as they were a couple divisions below us, but played touch with them a couple times and they were fun guys.

Comment

I've played Kings Cross Steelers many times at rugby and they've been some of the most enjoyable games of rugby I've playedh. They nearly always have players for whom this is the first time they've ever played rugby and you can see the confidence it gives them. One chap I spoke to in the bar after the game said he hadn't told his parents he was gay but was hoping that by playing for the Steelers his rugby mad father would accept him for what he was. I never did find out how he got on. In the early days a lot of clubs wouldn't play Steelers because of what they were but my club have never had a problem and today they have a good reputation and always bring a decent sized following, even for 3rd or 4th team fixtures.

A few years ago I was sub for my side but the Steelers hooker had picked up an injury and had to come off. To avoid the rest of the game being unopposed scrums I played hooker for Steelers for the rest of the game. In the bar afterwards both sides did their man of the match awards and then I got invited to stand on a chair and got a bunch of flowers and a t-shirt with "I was gay for a day" written on it! Downing the pint of beer that came with it wasn't a problem after that!

And yes I did go into the showers with them (and everyone else), why the hell wouldn't I?

Comment

Wales announce their 6N squad and it sees the return of 33 year old Dan Lydiate, who was impressive enough in the recent Ospreys games I've seen for me to ponder if he was due a recall. Fellow back rower Josh Macleod is the only uncapped call up ;

Forwards:

Rhys Carre (Cardiff Bues) (12 Caps)

Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (30 Caps)

Rhodri Jones (Ospreys) (17 Caps)

Elliot Dee (Dragons) (33 Caps)

Ryan Elias (Scarlets) (17 Caps)

Ken Owens (Scarlets) (77 Caps)

Leon Brown (Dragons) (12 Caps)

Tomas Francis (Exeter) (52 Caps)

Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (28 Caps)

Jake Ball (Scarlets) (49 Caps)

Adam Beard (Ospreys) (21 Caps)

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (143 Caps)

Will Rowlands (Wasps) (5 Caps)

Cory Hill (Cardiff Blues) (29 Caps)

Dan Lydiate (Ospreys) (62 Caps)

Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (24 Caps)

Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (27 Caps)

Taulupe Faletau (Bath) (81 Caps)

Josh MacLeod (Scarlets) (*Uncapped)

Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (80 Caps)

Backs:

Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (57 Caps)

Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (20 Caps)

Kieran Hardy (Scarlets) (2 Caps)

Dan Biggar (Northampton) (87 Caps)

Callum Sheedy (Bristol) (4 Caps)

Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues) (6 Caps)

Johnny Williams (Scarlets) (2 Caps)

Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (85 Caps)

Nick Tompkins (Dragons) (8 Caps)

Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (25 Caps)

George North (Ospreys) (98 Caps)

Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues) (29 Caps)

Hallam Amos (Cardiff Blues) (22 Caps)

Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester) (4 Caps)

Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (93 Caps)

Liam Williams (Scarlets) (67 Caps)

Players unavailable for selection due to injury:

Rob Evans, Nicky Smith, Samson Lee, Ross Moriarty, James Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Gareth Anscombe, Rhys Patchell, Scott Williams, Jonah Holmes.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-01-2021, 12:29.

Comment

Josh Macleod was in the last squad but got injured opening the door for Botham and Lewis-Hughes.

No Rhys Webb is the big news then, looks like his international career is over if he's not injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                Josh Macleod was in the last squad but got injured opening the door for Botham and Lewis-Hughes.
                                                Just goes to show that you can be too polite sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                                X