No announcement yet.

Gimme Hope Jo'anna: Rugby in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this going to be the six nations thread or will there be a separate one? Unless things get any worse covid-wise I think it's the Calcutta Cup next weekend.

Comment

Rugby Australia makes surprise offer to host Lions series against South Africa

Comment

Exeter won yesterday but only just. Can anyone in the know explain why cracks are suddenly showing in the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          Is this going to be the six nations thread or will there be a separate one? Unless things get any worse covid-wise I think it's the Calcutta Cup next weekend.
          This is indeed the thread Rogin.

Comment

I think we need a better title, what about:

Where will the Lions roar? Rugby in 2021

Comment

How about 'Gimme Hope Jo'anna'?

Comment

Gimme Hope Jo'anna: Rugby in 2021

Snake Plissken could you change the title please?

Comment

Thanks Snake Plissken

Comment

I strongly suspect that Michael Lynagh's son Louis will end up playing for England (despite his Italian mother & place of birth and obvious Australian heritage) if his impressive appearances for Harlequins since his recent debut are anything to go by :

https://twitter.com/harlequins/status/1356195592003698691?s=21

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1355902460309725184?s=21

Quins were stunning yesterday, tearing Franchise RFC apart, which puts an interesting spin on Gustard's departure.

Gustard's new employers Treviso were a typically Munsterish injury time drop goal from a shock win over the Limerick lot in another entertaining game.

The club rugby in recent months has been far more watchable than the similarly crowdless football I've seen. Let's hope that continues during the 6N which should fill the lockdown weekends for February and March.

Comment

I was pleased that even after I started to watch Quins they continued to play well. Can't say I am sorry to see the back of Gustard, he seemed out of his depth and was by all accounts a bully. Bawling out a player for missing a tackle is all well and good when you're the defence coach, but tearing into your coaching team in front of the players is another.

Comment

Josh Adams kicked out of Wales Six Nations squad and suspended

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

He attended a gender reveal party for his own child with close family. I've no idea how many people were there but it seems incredibly harsh but probably necessary just in case.

Rees-Zammit and George North must be certain to be in the wings now, I'm not even sure who the fourth winger even is.

Comment

What a fucking idiot. There just seem to be vast swathes of people who are behaving as if nothing unusual is going on in the world.

Also, this ;

https://twitter.com/joshgardner/status/1357035197611593729?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            What a fucking idiot. There just seem to be vast swathes of people who are behaving as if nothing unusual is going on in the world.

Also, this ;

https://twitter.com/joshgardner/status/1357035197611593729?s=21
                            Twp, I think sums up his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Rees-Zammit and George North must be certain to be in the wings now, I'm not even sure who the fourth winger even is.
                              Hallam Amos, would you believe. Liam is an option there with Halfpenny at full back but I think you'd want Williams dealing with Ireland's bombs (or is he not fit?).
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-02-2021, 22:22.

Comment

dealing with Ireland's bombs
                                A phrase that I haven't heard in a while...

Comment

Hallam Amos, would you believe. Liam is an option there with Halfpenny at full back but I think you'd want Williams dealing with Ireland's bombs (or is he not fit?).
                                  Suspended after his red card in the Scarlets Blues game iirc. Two games as well.

I thought it was Amos and then thought it couldn't be as he's not an international class winger.
                                  Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 03-02-2021, 22:56.

Comment

Ah fuck, I'd forgotten about the red card. Two top class back three players ruling themselves out of the opening two games due to their own stupidity, not a good start.

Comment

Jones was prefers Farrell to Ford at stand off again.

I give up.

Comment

But at least we have nos 11 - 14 playing in positions they are regularly selected in for their clubs, plus little chance of Lawes or Itoje at 6.

Comment

I'd heard rumours that North would stay at 13 but dismissed them. He actually is!

Comment

Very bizarre that. North I mean.

The reserve props fill me with no confidence at all, Rhodri Jones was destroyed by trying to convert him to a tight head and Leon Brown is work in progress. When they come on expect a lot of penalties against us.

The backs on the bench however look decent and can change the game.

Comment

He played for Quins a bit more than twice but Wikipedia are always pretty poor on their rugby appearance stats, for some reason.
                                              Belatedly, speaking as a semi-regular Wikipedia editor of 15-odd years, the standard of the rugby union coverage has always been strangely mediocre. Interest from editors has definitely dropped off across the board, but in football, cricket, golf, tennis etc you'll still have the stats people hammering away. Rugby union (I can't say I check league) is crap for both stats and volume of written content - you come across significant players with articles no longer than a few out of date sentences.

Comment

That's really peculiar, I can't begin to fathom why it might be.

Comment

Wales don't have an identity under Pivac, look out of step and lost - Gwyn Jones

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

I thought this was pretty good from Gwyn Jones.

Comment

It's another "most caps ever" XV for Wales tomorrow breaking a record set last year. Don't think it helps us though and more underlines the paucity of options coming through the Welsh regions.

Italy v France is ten minutes in and 0-7. A bright start from a very young Italian side but Teddy Thomas slalomed through to lay the foundations for a try.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X