No announcement yet.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fury of the Northman: Tyson Fury asks to be "removed from list" and asks his fans not to vote for him -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/55162164

Comment

He's such an utter prick.

Comment

The show is tonight. Sadly, given the paucity of BBC coverage of sport now and Sky's apparent scroogeness about sharing their highlights even on a thing like this it's likely to be just zoom interviews with the nominees. As Tyson Fury has instructed his lawyers not to be on the show it will be interesting to see how Gary handles that. Lewis Hamilton is favourite but a concerted vote from enough Liverpool fans might see Hendo get it.

Comment

I watched it. That 40 minutes weren't dedicated to Arsenal's famous FA Cup final victory is a disgrace, of course, but the inevitably subdued presentation of the show actually made it a bit more watchable than normal. Lots of tributes to inspiration grassroots activity and so forth, which, even it has its limits can make for more stirring, moving viewing than clips of mere sporting glory. A great emphasis on people of colour also, in terms of interviewees, etc. I sense a fry-up of gammon indignation at that.

Comment

I was a bit surprised to see Jurgen get coach of the year. Not that he isn't a living God, obviously, but I thought it was meant to be "British" whatever? I'd have preferred it to go to Rob Baxter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              I was a bit surprised to see Jurgen get coach of the year. Not that he isn't a living God, obviously, but I thought it was meant to be "British" whatever? I'd have preferred it to go to Rob Baxter.
              No, they don't have to be British - Eriksson, Wenger, Mourinho, Gatland, Capello, Ranieri amongst others have won it.

Comment

I watched it too, and Mrs TrL was part of the virtual audience (not that we could spot her, even after freeze framing the footage and scrutinising it in minute detail afterwards - I felt like I was sitting in a bunker in Stockley Park).

Really pleased Hamilton won - I know a lot of people think F1 isn't really a sport (and like top level football, there is a lot that's wrong with it in moral terms), but the sustained level of success he's achieved is absolutely ridiculous, and by and large he's an excellent role model and an increasingly confident spokesman for those groups under-represented in his sport. His vocal and visible support for BLM this year has irked a lot of gammon too, so that's another reason to be happy he won, whether you rate F1 or not.

Comment

Yeah, I have very little interest in F1, but his dominance and the way he speaks out in a largely amoral sport is worthy of praise.

Comment

Capello? How? Wiki: for guiding "England to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa winning an impressive nine out of the 10 qualifiers played". There were literally no other coaches who did anything that year who hadn't already won it? Ditto Sven in 2001.

Infact Klopp is probably in the top half of worthy winners, especially if you see it as a career award.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-12-2020, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Capello? How? Wiki: for guiding "England to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa winning an impressive nine out of the 10 qualifiers played". There were literally no other coaches who did anything that year who hadn't already won it? Ditto Sven in 2001.

Infact Klopp is probably in the top half of worthy winners, especially if you see it as a career award.
                      Sven was riding the crest of the 5-1 over Germany, he wasn't a controversial choice.

Comment

But I thought they laboured to 2002 with a win over Greece that needed a dive to get a free kick?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          But I thought they laboured to 2002 with a win over Greece that needed a dive to get a free kick?
                          He was still riding the crest of the Germany win though, come on. He was massively popular and had improved England a lot from where they were 12 months previously, you can't retcon that.

Comment

Fair enough, and in 2002 only Brazil were clearly better than England.

Comment

Working...
                            X