Rushed Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rushed Ending

Joe Laurainitis, better known as Road Warrior/Legion of Doom Animal has died at 60. No doubt the humungous amount of PEDs combined with the insane road schedule and lifestyle of a pro wrestler from his era hastened his end, but hell, what a memorable team he and (the also late) Hawk made.

It's remarkable that any pro wrestler could live even that long. RIP

Comment

I'm amazed Hogan is still going, although he didn't have to take the bumps and head trauma that lesser mortals did and by all accounts they severely add to the toll.

You look at what the current crop do, especially the cruiserweight size guys, and their bodies are going to be completely fucked before they're 40 because they have to nearly kill themselves to get a reaction.

Comment

I was quite amazed to find he was only 60. It means the original LOD run in the then-WWF ended when he was only 32, and he wasn't even out of his 30s (Hawk was a little older) when they finally bombed out with the short-lived 'LOD 2000' gimmick in the late '90s; I was introduced to pro wrestling only around the turn of the millennium, by which point they already seemed old and washed-up relics. Nowadays there's a good sprinkling of performers on the books in WWE – and other promotions – who are still in their prime at 40+, which probably says a lot about how much better the wrestlers are looking after themselves in generally these days in contrast with how hard and fast the 1980s generation all indeed lived.

Hard to believe both the Road Warriors are gone already, anyhow. Back in the early '90s I knew nothing about wrestling except for what filtered through to me via my younger brother whose peer group at school got into it at the start of the decade. The names and faces that stood out, of course, were the likes of Hulk Hogan, the Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Jake "the Snake" Roberts, the British Bulldog and the implacably terrifying Undertaker. Amid those solo stars though just one tag team were equally larger than life: the Legion of Doom. Two huge men with the facepaint, the shoulder spikes and an utterly give-no-shits attitude who just bulldozed everything in their path – and by all accounts they had that effect on pretty much anyone who ever saw them, reckoned by fans and wrestlers alike as (in)arguably the greatest team of all time. RIP.

Comment

Working...
        X