Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And I Feel Like Alan Minter, ate 8 sheets of blotting paper..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I Feel Like Alan Minter, ate 8 sheets of blotting paper..

Won the world title by beating Vito Antuofermo in America pretty convincingly on points. I remember it because Antuofermo was bustling, all action and constantly coming forward but never landed a punch. Minter won on a split decision.

He won 2 classic 15 round fights with Kevin Finnegan to win and retain the British title.

He lost his world title to Hagler who cut him to ribbons in 5 rounds. Nearly all the fights Minter lost were through cuts.

Hagler was not seen as anything particularly special before this fight. When the fight was over virtually anything movable in the Wembley Arena was thrown into the ring at him. Minter really hadn't done much to calm a racist atmosphere before the fight.
    ​​​​​​
    So, in summary, a brave fighter with a pretty remarkable career. He was no Mark Kaylor, but his politics might be described as erring on the dodgy. Although he later tried to qualify racist comments before the Hagler fight.

​​​​​​​I loved Boxing when I was a kid, and 69 is no age. Poor bloke. Also, flippantly, I couldn't resist the thread title.

Alan Minter came from Crawley, which is where I grew up. He opened the town's first wine bar.

The win in Las Vegas ove vito Antuofermo was famous for the live interview afterwards with Reg Gutteridge - "we gonna get pi$$ed tonight Reg !"

Comment

3 rounds. Hagler beat him all ends up, it wasn't an unlucky cut or something.
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 10-09-2020, 20:08.

Comment

8 minutes of fight time. Minter came out throwing wild punches and Hagler just picked him off.

Comment

I thought we'd had this on here before but can't find it - anyway a retrospective of the Hagler fight and what happened around it.

Comment

Watching the Hagler fight now, the crowd chanting the N word is fucking disgraceful. Glad their boy got opened up like a tomato can.

Comment

You always got the impression with Hagler that you could hit him in the face with a sledgehammer and he would still keep coming. One of the most terrifying men to step into a ring.

I don't blame Sugar Ray for waiting until Hagler had slowed down a fraction. Fighting Marvellous Marvin in his prime looked to be an impossible task for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post
                Alan Minter came from Crawley, which is where I grew up. He opened the town's first wine bar.

The win in Las Vegas ove vito Antuofermo was famous for the live interview afterwards with Reg Gutteridge - "we gonna get pi$$ed tonight Reg !"
                None of this surprises me. Minter was briefly married to a friend's sister and used to use her for sparring practice when he'd had a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Minter was briefly married to a friend's sister and used to use her for sparring practice when he'd had a few.
                  Lovely...

Comment

With reference to the thread title, another well-known person mentioned in Fall songs bites the dust:

https://sites.google.com/site/reform...-in-fall-songs

Comment

"Herb Albert"?

Comment

This is the Hagler fight with Howard Cosell's commentary. Minter just couldn't handle Hagler's southpaw stance and speed of right lead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfcxEHcP-Zw

Comment

Working...
                        X