Wisden.Cricket Monthly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wisden.Cricket Monthly

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before but since its relaunch in 2017 this magazine has been superb. The writing is consistently excellent, mixing engaging, but by no means fawning or uncritical character profiles with politically driven pieces ('Cricket's Diversity Problem' takes a multi page spread in the current edition for example) and Phil Walker's editorials are always thoughtful. A wonderful monthly treat.

I always enjoy The Nightwatchman, Wisden's quarterly collection of long form articles too.

Comment

I’m getting to like and admire this magazine with each passing edition. The unblinking determination of the editorial staff to expose issues of race, gender, sexuality and class with thoughtful and astute pieces makes it essential reading. This month’s is superb, the centre piece being an article on the first players of Caribbean descent to play for England in the 80’s onwards and the difficulties they faced being accepted by the English cricket establishment. Admirably there is a reference to a thoroughly despicable article in the old incarnation of Wisden in 1995 (incredibly not 1895) written by Robert Henderson which openly casts doubt on the commitment of black players when appearing for England - a piece which saw the writer taken to
      court. Details linked below in a cricket web article. Even this piece isn’t nearly as vitriolic as it should be, I would suggest strongly you buy this month’s Wisden with the extended articles - it’ll be the best fiver you spend this month.

http://www.cricketweb.net/racial-slu...understanding/
      Last edited by Tony C; 02-03-2021, 17:30.

Comment

Working...
      X