Next day Centre Court tickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They do count towards the rankings - 400 points to the men's winner. This is a little less than a master series event (500), but still a pretty important tournament.

Comment

Wow, didnt realise. That IS a lot.

Comment

Much like a lot of the Euro 2008 game,s I found my loyaties wavering between the two from the original stating opint of Nadal.

In the end, however, I plumped for Nadal as he deserved it and didn't have that gurning cunt from Bush in his camp.

An excellent game followed by such mutually generous remarks from both that, along with Serena Williams concession of that point on the let call a day earlier, I would show all my under 8 football lads as an example

Comment

William Rhoden of the New York Times walked out on the match to catch Hancock instead:

So we watched as Nadal took a commanding two-set lead, concluded that this was Nadal’s day and decided to take in a movie, “Hancock.”

We took the walk along Gloucester Road, peeking into this tavern or that to make sure Nadal (we liked Nadal) maintained his cushion. His confidence had seemed to have been shaken earlier in the match by a slip and fall that pulled his knee at an awkward angle. He’s young, we thought. The crowds seemed to be solidly behind Federer, and why not? He was the five-time Wimbledon champion. He practically owned the place. He was a warrior.

Nadal? Well, Nadal — and this is entirely subjective, based on overheard conversations and so-called expert analysis — Nadal was princely. Handsome, muscular, impetuous, a king of clay. But in England, on grass against Federer, he never had exactly what it took to beat the king.

There was a certain unproven-ness about Nadal. Was he a warrior? Even if he had simply run away with the match, as he threatened to do early on, Nadal may not have won pub respect, rugby respect, as a rough-and-tumble fighter.

He was the muscled young prince.

By the time we reached Fulham Road, Federer had battled back and Nadal was in for the match of his life — and so were we. I ducked into the Goat and Boots, with my wife and daughter. An overwhelmingly pro-Federer crowd cheered lustily as the champion began to close in.

Finally at 6:57 p.m., another deadline called — the movie. Nadal seemed to have things somewhat in hand. So we left, walking slowly, looking back.

We re-emerged an hour and a half later, fully expecting to hear somewhere along the road that Federer had nearly come back but had finally lost. The television at the Goat and Boots had what we thought were highlights. But who won?
          Nowhere in the piece does he say "boy, was I stupid" or apologize. I wonder how often sports reporters duck out on events to do something else.

Comment

like a lot on here was supporting Federer from the start but at the end it was impossible to begrudge Nadal his victory...at this level tennis is an awesome game that engages the emotions more than any other sport unless Newcastle United are involved...

and Nadal deserved it on the fact that he broke serve three times to Federers once...

Nadal is now clearly in the ascendancy but Federer showed more than enough to suggest each are going to have to continue reaching these levels on a regular basis to overcome each other...

like E10 I also thought Federer could have been more gracious in defeat..

Comment

I read an interview in a Swiss paper, Federer was in pieces after the ceremony, the interview reads like a conversation with someone under a very black cloud. Something people forget about him is that despite all the image of uber-coolness and zero emotions shown he is in fact a very emotionnal guy who took a long time to learn how to master his anguish and anger.

Comment

Geez, Inca, that article's unbelievable.
                Presumably this guy's not the NYT's tennis correspondent, is he? The thing even reads like he wrote it in the gap between the previews and the start of the feature presentation.

Comment

Blimey, is Federer cracking up completely? It was already looking like just a matter of time that Nadal got the number one spot after last week's Toronto results, but now Federer's in real trouble in his first match in Cincinatti against Ginepri. A set down, Ginepri serving for the match. Could be this week Nadal dethrones him unless he finds form pretty damned quickly.

Comment

Ok, Federer broke back and took the second set on a tie-break. Clinging on. Just.

Comment

Nadal's confirmed as the new number one after reaching the semis in Cincinnatti - it's only a matter of when. He'll get the number one spot on Monday if he wins here, but even if he doesn't he only has to wait a week, as Federer's points for winning this event last year will drop out of the reckoning.

As Federer's defending his US Open title, and Nadal only reached the last 16 there last year, Nadal can only extend his ranking lead at Flushing Meadow if he gets to the quarter-finals or beyond. Even if Federer wins US Open, Madrid, Paris and the Masters, Nadal will still be number one at the end of the year if he makes the semis of all 4.

Comment

have you included the points available for the Olympics in your calculations Rogin?

Comment

Working...
                        X