No announcement yet.

At last the Cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, sorry Ursus, I've no doubt that Nayyar and Hanif top Hameed but I am curious about just the CC record.

The tone has really changed about the IPL. The letter from the BCCI was a bit much, 'The BCCI has told the eight teams in the IPL that they will not just be playing to win this time, but for something "much more important…humanity."'

Comment

The BCCI believing that there is some sort of Mortal Kombat scenario, where aliens have to defeat IPL teams at cricket to successfully take over the Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
        The BCCI believing that there is some sort of Mortal Kombat scenario, where aliens have to defeat IPL teams at cricket to successfully take over the Earth?
        Isn't that pretty much the plot of Space Jam, exact sport aside obviously.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-04-2021, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
          So my thinking was that surely some of those massive scores in the 30s cc would have been at a slow enough pace that a batter would have faced more balls. Even if it was only over 2 or 3 days
          Although, maybe not, all the most minutes have been pretty recent.
          Minutes is going to be skewed towards 4 day cricket. Balls would counter that, and the link acknowledges that "there are almost certainly occasions in the past when a batsman has faced more deliveries due to the increased over-rates."

I think Hanif is going to be hard to beat due to being able to bat into a 6th day, in a match where the opposition sent down so many overs.

Comment

Balls faced is in many ways a fairer and more logical way to do the stats on long innings, but you can't discount the stamina-influencing effect of sheer minutes in the middle..

Comment

Oh certainly, but balls faced is a pretty new statistic.

Comment

Karunya Keshav on the scandal of IPL ignoring the COVID crisis:

https://karunya.scrollstack.com/post...r-IPL-ailments

https://omny.fm/shows/the-final-word...karunya-keshav

Comment

https://twitter.com/breakingbadass/status/1387355727149166595

ICC having a mare recently. They posted a picture of recently banned Heath Streak on a tweet about Andy Flower the other day.

Comment

The Wisden Cricket Podcast is never less than excellent and has now been enhanced by the regular presence of Mark Butcher, a thoroughly engaging voice. In the most recent edition his insights into the calamitous state of England international cricket in the nineties (as they slumped to bottom of the world rankings) are really interesting. A nicely balanced debate on the aforementioned Ed Smith and the IPL on the podcast too. Really good stuff.

Comment

Apparent breach of the bubble in the IPL

Tonight's match between Kolkata and Bangalore is off. At least two KKR players are reported to have tested positive.

Comment

This is probably a question for an India thread but how dodgy is the PM CARES fund? I saw that BCCI donated 51 crore to that org but all the international donors (like CA) have avoided it.

Comment

It is incredibly opaque, which makes the question impossible to answer

From the Roy piece

Try not to wonder why the PM Cares Fund – the opaque organisation that has recently replaced the more public Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund, and which uses public money and government infrastructure but functions like a private trust with zero public accountability – has suddenly moved in to address the oxygen crisis. Will Modi own shares in our air-supply now?
                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-05-2021, 07:30.

Comment

IPL has now been suspended

Comment

Will be interesting to see if the Australian government modifies its current ban, given the very high profile of the players , coaches and commentators who are now stranded

Comment

Stopping the IPL was inevitable surely?

Meanwhile, the Lanka storm back against Desh, as an 80s supergroup. Spun boy 3 and Jayawickarama (11 wickets on debut)

Comment

They were telling all and sundry how secure their bio bubbles were up to point where the first positive cases were reported.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Will be interesting to see if the Australian government modifies its current ban, given the very high profile of the players , coaches and commentators who are now stranded
                                    And given the Aus. government were consulted before said players and commentators went out to India

Comment

India's tour to England must be in doubt, for numerous reasons. How do you play cricket when your friends and relatives are in danger?

Comment

It should have been suspended a couple of weeks ago at least. The BCCI - which to all intents and purposes is an extension of Modi's scum government - have put a lot of people at risk here.

Comment

I suppose from the Australian government POV there's an argument that:

1) If you make an exception for cricketers, you have to do the same for other citizens

2) The IPL wasn't due to finish until May 30 so the stranded parties have no other obligations until then so just keep them in place for 4 weeks (they're in isolation for the next 10 days anyway).

Cynically, I think it will come down to a PR calculation: political cost of "betraying our cricketers" versus political cost of "hypocritical favouring of (white) elites"

Comment

I agree with all that, though I also wonder whether this won't cause someone to bring a formal legal challenge (the Guardian had a piece last week with Australian legal experts suggesting that such a challenge had decent chances of success).

Cricinfo suggests that the 40+ Aussie contingent are all making their way to the Maldives, where Michael Slater (one of the commentators) had decamped to several days ago.

Comment

Nice one Australia, make people returning from the IPL a third country's problem

(https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/56991595

Australians to spend time in Sri Lanka or Maldives before returning from IPL

​​​​​​​See above)

Comment

Is anyone watching Pakistan Zimbabwe? I never signed up to Free Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Ticket ballot now open.

If anyone gets any tickets they can't use then let me know as I would like to go to the whole test.
                                                  Hope you had more luck than me - I applied for every day but got nothing.

Comment

Just a pair of tickets for day five, if it gets there. I may have a few angles on another day or two though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X