At last the Cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last the Cricket

As we've had a bit of a break Shall we start a new thread?

Team Stokes are playing Team Buttler which is viewable here. This is in preparation for the West Indies series which starts a week today.

County cricket is looking to start in August I think and before then there will be some closed door friendlies (but they will be watchable with the usual fixed cameras I think).

And finally, I've just seen this lovely print from The Cricketer.

They also do Riverside, Arundel, Taunton & Kennington. I do like the Taunton one as well. HERE

It's great to see real, live cricket.

Comment

Are they allowed to shine their balls and toss them to each other?

Comment

Everton Weekes has died, just short of a century, at the formidable age of 95. Great stat on the news: the only player to score five centuries in five consecutive Tests.

Comment

The best batsman of the three Ws. Up there with Headley, Viv, Sobers and Lara in the WI batting pantheon.

Comment

When did the Beeb last have Test match highlights? 1998, it seems.
            Last edited by Diable Rouge; 04-07-2020, 19:53.

Comment

Actually saw some cricket today after Johnson's u-turn yesterday. I happened upon an intra-squad match at my local club East Molesey who will apparently start friendly matches next weekend before seeing if they get to defend their Surrey Championship title at all this summer.

Heartening to see any public competitive sport and, nice though it has been to have an outdoor drink there in the last couple of weeks, good to see the club used for it's proper purpose.

Looking forward to the test matches, hoping cricket works with just TMS commentary as a soundtrack.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-07-2020, 22:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                When did the Beeb last have Test match highlights? 1998, it seems.
                This has just sunk in. Good.

Comment

My club team worked out some weeks ago that we can play a game without danger of infection (take your own tea, wipe the ball, celebrate at a distance, etc) but haven't yet worked out how we can get to the games - since we gave up our home ground a few years ago, we always travel to our mid-Sussex 6 away games per season in 3 cars...

Comment

If we'd had a proper summer I think today's men's T20 v Australia at Old Trafford would have been live on the BBC.

Comment

I seem to have missed this, what coverage have the BBC got? They had a trailer during the football (featuring are brave Sir Captain Tom), which showed they had test highlights, but I presume they've got some live stuff too?

Do the BBC even have cricket presenters? Or do Mark Nicholas et al just move with the cricket, I think it's a Sunset and Vine joint, no?

Comment

When would <shudder> The Hundred have started?

Comment

Friday 17 July, with Oval Invincibles welcoming Welsh Fire to the Kia Oval.

It was to be timed to coincide with school holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                            I seem to have missed this, what coverage have the BBC got? They had a trailer during the football (featuring are brave Sir Captain Tom), which showed they had test highlights, but I presume they've got some live stuff too?

Do the BBC even have cricket presenters? Or do Mark Nicholas et al just move with the cricket, I think it's a Sunset and Vine joint, no?
                            Isa Guha is fronting the BBC's TV coverage and I believe it's nightly highlights for the tests.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-07-2020, 21:38.

Comment

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...ricket?lang=gd

Isa will be alongside BBC Cricket's lead analyst, former England Ashes-winning captain Michael Vaughan. Joining them to provide their expert perspective will be England's record Test run-scorer Sir Alastair Cook and West Indies' 2016 World T20 final hero Carlos Brathwaite while respected broadcaster Alison Mitchell and former England spinner Phil Tufnell will complete the team to provide commentary duties for the TV highlights.
                              Mitchell is a great choice.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-07-2020, 21:38.

Comment

Isa Guha and Alison Mitchell are both great. It was quite eye opening listening to the 2005 Edgbaston Test commentary on the radio a couple of months back: all male broadcasters. TMS is much better now, I'm sure the TV coverage will be great.

Comment

There's an English-sounding female cricket commentator I've heard on TSM who is just too damned excitable for my taste. I wonder if that's Alison? Or are there multiple English-sounding female commentators on TSM nowadays?

Comment

I thought just the two commentators (as opposed to analyst), Guha and Mitchell.

weather forecast pretty piss poor...

Comment

I'm in Southampton at the moment (would be at the game, under different circumstances) and the clouds have that grim look that says "We're going to be here all day"

Comment

I've been wondering if the broadcasters will have any artificial crowd noise and Atherton has just confirmed on R4 that Sky will be adding "a Lord's hum" to their coverage. Not sure if TMS will follow suit.

There are also home (rather than neutral) umpires and consequently they are increasing the amount of unsuccessful DRS appeals for each side.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-07-2020, 09:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

There are also home (rather than neutral) umpires and consequently they are increasing the amount of unsuccessful DRS appeals for each side.
                                          Doesn't that impugn the umpires' ability and integrity?
                                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 08-07-2020, 08:19.

Comment

That aspect troubled me too, I should have been clear that it was Justin Webb/Nick Robinson's* inference that the two changes were linked.

* I can rarely tell them apart, especially when I'm only half-awake listening to 'Today'.

Comment

TMS have also said they will have crowd noise in the background. Might add my own as the day goes on by periodically randomly cheering and tunelessly blaring "Everywhere we go-oh"

Comment

Does anyone know if the BBC are going to put TMS on Youtube in that hidden way that they have? And if so, anyone have a link? (Seriously it;s like the world's most difficult to find yet useful piece of the internet)

Comment

This help?

https://twitter.com/tmsproducer/status/1280576033251565568?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                  X