At last the Cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/DerbyshireCCC/status/1379701520829181952

Even if the surface layer melts surely the outfield will still be a bit hard?

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...r-championship

Article on the new, improved county streaming services.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that in 120 editions there are still three counties that have never won. I guess I just assumed that the distant past, with county qualification etc. was more equal.

I'm also intrigued by the differences between the formation of the Football League and the County Championship. At least according to Wikipedia the FL was formed so clubs could be sure of gate receipts while the CC was done to formalise who was the best county father than newspapers deciding. Although, it's got to have been a reaction to the FL given that the CC meeting happened a few months after the FL began.

When do we normally start new threads for cricket? Is this one getting a bit unweildy?

Comment

They usually start with tours involving England or major tournaments, but I would welcome a county thread, especially given the enhanced streaming options

We will also need some place to bitch about the Hundred

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            They usually start with tours involving England or major tournaments, but I would welcome a county thread, especially given the enhanced streaming options

We will also need some place to bitch about the Hundred
            Ha, indeed. However there’s a very good piece by Phil Walker in the current Wisden monthly that has done more than anything I’ve read so far to win me round to the Hundred. It’s a balanced article but the potential improvements the competition will make in women’s cricket - both in terms of competitive standard and profile - are pretty compelling.

Comment

Does it offer anything that would be better than a Twenty20 tournament of the same format?

Comment

My guess is the argument is that the franchises provide a better experience and more resources for women than the counties could be expected to

Comment

Good win for Pakistan in the T20I

Comment

The County Championship was probably at its most even when several counties had two or three overseas players, which starte d around 1968. It was never particularly even before then; Yorkshire or Surrey would win long strings of titles.

I saw some IPL today courtesy of my lunchtime restaurant, which has hotstar. Delhi were far too strong for Chennai and the game was over when Dhawan and Shaw destroyed Chennai's opening attack, 65-0 off 6 and 100 up off 10.1.

Comment

Just the day for a news dump

https://twitter.com/wisdencricket/status/1384575091678322688

Comment

Sail on Silverwood. Not great news if Silverwood was responsible for some of the rotation errors in the India series, and mishandling of Moeen.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh 302-2 after Day 1 in SL.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-04-2021, 15:43.

Comment

Zimbabwe have beaten Pakistan in a T20 after bowling them out for 99, despite 41 from Babar.

Comment

That's a great result for Zimbabwe. Even the Pakistan fans I follow on twitter weren't too mad.

The BCCI just cancelled the Ranji Trophy? But ran the one day and T20 competitions?

Edit: and finally 0 wickets today in SL v Ban.

Comment

To be fair to the BCCI (as hard as that is), the situation in India has deteriorated extremely quickly since the end of the white ball tournaments

I have been wondering what it is like for the participants in the IPL bubble to be playing (and traveling) amongst this carnage. It has to be particularly difficult for the Indians.

Comment

My use of just there isn't particularly helpful. They cancelled it last year and I've only just noticed.

Is there any talk of curtailing the IPL?

Comment

Not among the officials, they keep stating their absolute confidence in the bubbles

Comment

Wonderful lopsided scorecard right now in the SL-Bangladesh test.

Bangladesh 58/2 with Tamim Iqbal not out on 54.

Comment

Ravi Ashwin is stepping away from the IPL

https://twitter.com/ashwinravi99/status/1386405975851028486

Comment

Aussies worried they won't be able to get home easily given new restrictions on travel from India

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1386492725881540612

Comment

Ticket ballot now open.

If anyone gets any tickets they can't use then let me know as I would like to go to the whole test.

Comment

I hadn’t noticed just how long Haseeb Hameed batted in this match. Two centuries, best part of 700 balls. Good effort son.

Am I right in thinking this might be some sort of
                                            record, or at least, they’ve never collected stats about a longer stay at the crease over a match?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

Comment

Was discussed on the county thread.

Data is spotty.

Comment

Hanif's 337 in 1957-58 was in an innings that lasted 319 overs, of which he batted for 309 overs. If we assume he faced 50% of those balls, that would be over 900.

I can't prove that's the record and I suppose it's possible someone faced over 1000 balls in two innings if the bowlers were sending down 22+ overs an hour. OTOH most games were played over 3 days, including Tests in the early decades (Hanif's match was untypically over 6 days and the CC has obviously only been 4 days for a relatively short time).
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-04-2021, 21:15.

Comment

So my thinking was that surely some of those massive scores in the 30s cc would have been at a slow enough pace that a batter would have faced more balls. Even if it was only over 2 or 3 days
                                                  Although, maybe not, all the most minutes have been pretty recent.
                                                  Last edited by Levin; 27-04-2021, 21:36.

Comment

I posted this on the other thread.

Rajiv Nayyar's Ranji innings that beats Hanif in minutes (using either the official figure or the one from the gramophone record) and the only recorded innings over 1000 minutes at the crease. 728 balls faced.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/1999/nov/04/cricket4

Comment

Working...
                                                    X