E10 and Tubby's Real Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 test moneyburning series between NZ and SA going on at the moment. Evenly poised, SA 41 ahead, 8 2nd innings wickets left.

Dunedin is about as convincing a test venue as Moreton-in-Marsh would be. Catering being done by schoolkids, as far as I can see.

This is your place for painstaking centuries on wet Tuesdays in Chesterfield.

There was some incredible tail end slogging by Trent Boult. Graeme Smith looked about as happy a fielding captain as Ray Illingworth would have done.

Comment

Smith looked far happier at the end of play than he did in those first two overs.

Looks quite a pleasant venue to me, grass banks to sit on, trees surrounding the ground - tho they were responsible for a 30 minute delay due to dew - spectators obviously encouraged to bring their own seats.

A world away from MCG, Lords etc but still looks good. Wonder if they get to play at the spectacular Basin Reserve at all?

Comment

A genius retires.

Comment

The third test is at Basin Reserve.

Comment

Is "real cricket" like "real tennis", all Elizabethan and idiosyncratic?

Comment

Thanks Ursus - am pleased about that.

Theres something rather pleasant about Test cricket in NZ - the awful Eden Park notwithstanding. All the grounds have a county championship feel about them and individual specatators can often be heard. That and the fact that live games here start around 21:00/22:00 when the wife and kids are off to bed and theres nothing more pleasing than a few hours watching with a glass or two of red

Comment

It's perfect timing, isn't it? I should think we're the main audience because there aren't many at the ground. The commentators (who seem a nice lot) were very excited about a queue to get in.

Comment

I'm similarly fond of the NZ grounds (Napier is great, too), and given that ursus minor has adopted NZ as a test team, we sometimes think about going out there for a series. The whole country strikes me as both stunning and very civilised.

Unfortunately, the timing is awful for the east coast of the US. Almost all play is in the middle of our night.

Comment

They're a funny country. They don't like nuclear power at all, like most righties do. But their left were Thatcherite a decade before Tony Blair.

Test cricket as festival cricket is indeed very civilised.

Comment

There's something about watching New Zealand play, you always feel some form of madcap excitement isn't too far away. I also think Chris Martin is a very underrated bowler.

Not much more than a month till the season starts. Yay.

Comment

What a shame, last day rained off.

Comment

Yup. A shitty end to what was an exciting test.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                            The whole country strikes me as both stunning and very civilised.
                            Well, yes, and very cold, too, in winter (which were the times that my wife and myself travelled there). Wonderful place for wine-lovers, also, which we are.

We visited rugby ground rather than cricket.

Comment

Second test starts tonight. It's at Hamilton. Is that another pleasant ground in the county outground tradition?

Comment

Pretty much so:

It seats a whole 9,000

Comment

That's the view from an award-winning media centre, I take it.

It's not bad stuff at all, and properly old school. NZ have brought in Brent Arnell, a tall outswing bowler, who puts it just outside off stump.

Hang on, top edge goes for 6.

Comment

I haven't been following this, to my shame. Though echo many of the comments above, though NZ have always been a hard team to love.

Though you do get some crazy shit in their otherwise soporofic Tests. My abiding memory of the 2008 tour over there was tailender Tim Southee suddenly going mental with the bat in a forlorn losing cause at the end of the, I think, third Test.

England tours there seem to be becoming ever more infrequent.

Comment

They were a lovable bunch over here in 1999, weren't they?

Comment

Mark Gillespie has taken 5 wickets.

More nice banks to watch the game from at Hamilton. Apparently they came from soil dug out of a rugby ground.

No megalomaniac conference centre-hotel-stand rubbish over there.

Comment

AB De Villiers is 67 not out. I thought he'd probably got about 20.

He's the new Jimmy Cook.

Comment

Sachin's finally done it.

Against Bangladesh in the Asia Cup, which is somehow fitting.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoying this series so far - SA just a touch better in all areas though, you do feel that they are either there for the taking or only playing in 3rd gear currently.

Looking forward to seeing Philander at Headingley, though I hope its on the loosing side.

Difficult to know what to say about Tendulkar. Obviously one of the greats no doubt, but all of the hype over the last year about the 100 100's in England and Australia seem to have glossed over the fact that he is not the same player as he used to be - unlike Dravid who remained brilliant.

Comment

I've always been more of a Dravid/Laxman man but there's no point being grudging about Tendulkar's success.

Anyway, New Zealand: there's has been a very quiet, yet pretty rapid, Test decline. They'd form the third part to a good pub quiz question about the only three teams to have won more than one series in England between 1985 and 2000.

Comment

The press have missed the gig story.

Bdesh won.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X