Calling the OTF Peloton - Bike Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a road bike I'm needing assistance with, but my old, trusty Kona Cinder Cone:

It's ages since I did any bike maintenance other than the usual weekly / monthly checks, but the bike is showing some serious strains. I realised recently that I couldn't remember how to take apart and put back together certain parts of the bike, or what parts needed adjusting given certain problems. Anyhow, I'm looking for a comprehensive but, relatively, concise bike maintenance manual given that my old one has gone missing, possibly dropped off the side of the Alpe d'Huez, unlikely though.
    I had a look at the generally recommended Zinn manuals but wasn't too fond of the diagrams and haven't been able to find something as thorough as that elsewhere. Help me OTF peloton, YMOH.

[Edit: Not sure that it makes much difference but I don't have disc brakes, still have the Shimano-V set]

I don't have a manual, but for online repair and maintenance help, the Park Tools website is handy.

Comment

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/]

The late great Sheldon.

Comment

I only discovered that he'd died about a month ago, during a visit to read up about something. I was shocked and saddened (I didn't even know about his illness). What a great bloke he was.

Comment

Do you ever listen to the mighty Bike show on Resonance FM? Sheldon often featured on it.
          It's back with a new season btw.

Comment

The Park Tools website is briliant, and the best book about bike maintenance is the Park Tools Big Blue Book. They even give it a serial number, BBB-1.

Comment

Do you ever listen to the mighty Bike show on Resonance FM?

I used to have it bookmarked, but the one time I went there I couldn't get a connection. I'll give it another go.

Comment

It's a great podcast. It can be a bit hit and miss but it's always worth a listen. For every rubbish episode about the symphony for the singing bicycle there'll be 15 good ones like this weeks where he describes a night ride from London to Stonehenge for the solstice. Very mellow and always interesting.

Comment

Working...
                X