Historically Informed Performances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historically Informed Performances

I was listening to a podcast about no-balls and was wondering what cricket with the back foot no ball would look like. And then what 19th C cricket would look like.

I remember seeing something somewhere about 19th century Baseball reenactors and was wondering if anyone here was aware of other sports that had people who reanacted past forms of a sport. Or even what sports would be suitable, I imagine 19th C football would be too dangerous for recreating today.

Cricket match between men and women played in the style and costume of 1818 by students at the Wimbledon School of Art (1958)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9kC73-Nj8

Comment

Aren't the ball games played at some English public schools essentially recreations?

The Wall Game at Eton, for example.

See also Calcio Fiorentino

Comment

Is calcio a recreation or is is a piece of mythmaking?

That video is great satchmo, although the bats look quite modern to my eyes. I guess 1818 is fairly late, straight bats and 3 stumps makes sense.

Comment

It's a recreation.

The contest went out of fashion for a few centuries, but the "modern" rules were adapted from 17th and 18th century versions, in much the same way as those for the Palio in Siena.

This is a good piece

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...l-sight-behold

That said, Calcio Storico Fiorentino is not as single-minded about historical accuracy as are those involved with Vintage Baseball in the US.

https://www.vbba.org/rules-and-customs/

As the link illustrates, one of the fundamental decisions that any new vintage baseball club or league must make is which particular rules they are to follow, as the rules of the game were very much in flux in the decades following the Civil War.

Last edited by ursus arctos; 24-04-2020, 18:13.

Comment

Thank you Ursus. Wow, there are a lot of vintage clubs, that site is fascinating.

Comment

Funnily enough, I was talking about something similar elsewhere today. Ben Crenshaw, who loved the history of the game, once set up a thing around the 1984 Open, I think, where he, Tom Watson, and a couple of others went out dressed in proper old garb (tweed suits and ties, the lot) and played the 1st and last at St Andrews with antique clubs borrowed from the R&A museum. I forget how it went.

Comment

Real Tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                  Thank you Ursus. Wow, there are a lot of vintage clubs, that site is fascinating.
                  I think that I have mentioned before that I know a number of people who are active in vintage baseball and have episodically considered joining a club myself.

People tend to come to it via disparate routes: hard core historians, eager re-enactors and older players who can't play hard ball any longer but disdain softball on principle all feature.

Comment

The Eroica series of cycling events also merit mention here

https://eroica.cc/en/eroica-cc/ethos

As do the type of vintage motor races one sees at Goodwood and Monza

Comment

We could tell the women to stop running after only 2 laps of the track. That's not 19th century, that's 1968.

By 1984 they were up to 3000m, no hurdles.

Comment

Working...
                      X