I'll be framed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be framed

After the calamity of and horror suffered by my beloved Cinelli and after much soul searching and begging I am going to have to buy a new frame.
    Naturally it has to end in a vowel (not necessarily Italian - thus allowing Cervelo and Orbea into equation) and it can't really cost more than £1300. Any suggestions? I've always hankered after a celeste Bianchi, but I could be persuaded to go for something else.

I'll be framed

I've been looking into the ride2work scheme offered by the Government. unfortunately it seems they'll only let you purchase a complete bike and not just a frame, which is a blow.

Looking at bikes I liked the look of this as a commuter bike http://www.primera-bournemouth.co.uk...950-1-1984.jpg

What do you think oh peloton?

Comment

I'll be framed

It's beautiful, but... not a proper road bike. Pure sex, but pure compromise sex...

That's a pisser about the ride2work scheme. Could you sell your old components for cash towards the new bike?

If you're spending £1300 on a frame alone, you can get something very nice indeed. Bianchi are fairly competitive at that price point, I think, but have a look at the Pinarellos. And you hardly need telling that it'll be good for a lovely Cinelli...

Comment

I'll be framed

I missed the calamity and horror that befell your Cinelli, Fausto-can somebody link me to it?

Comment

I'll be framed

http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/optio...9053/catid,31/

Comment

I'll be framed

How about a Pinarello F4:13, at £1250? They claim they have all sizes in stock, and a choice of black/silver or the nicer red/black. They've also got a 2006 Wilier Izoard for £999, but only in 56, it seems.

The De Rosa Corum frame, hand-made in Italy, comes in under your limit, but I expect you don't want to go back to steel. However beautiful it may be.

You'll hate it, but I think this year's Isaac Kelvin is a work of understated beauty (and it gets rave reviews, and it comes with a carbon seat-post and integrated FSA headset, AND it only weighs 1200g... ) but it doesn't end in a vowel.

Comment

I'll be framed

Caught up on your calamity now, Fausto-commiserations.

When I was hunting a bargain for the cycle-to-work scheme last autumn, I couldn't find a Cinelli for under a grand that I wanted, so ended up with the Bianchi. I'm very happy with it all told (and it helped take 50 mins off my time for the Northern Rock Cyclone as well as looking good).

Comment

I'll be framed

Yeah without wishing to be too wanky about it, one is compromised by having to stay under a grand, as far as the ride2work scheme goes.
                Apparently the idea of simply using the components from my cinelli and sticking them on a new frame is fraught with difficulties. Therefore I might have to go for a full bike. At the moment I'm torn between a Colnago arte and a Bianchi 1885.

I do like the Pinarello and the de Rosa. What about this bike? Way out of my price range but I do think it's very sexy

Comment

I'll be framed

Fausto Likes Swiss Bike Shock. That got a good review in Le Cycle this month, but they reckon it's very much for competition and sport rather than comfortable long rides. Far too stiff and twitchy for a daily commute. However, since you're not going to buy it, that's neither here nor there.

Isn't the Arte made for Colnago in Taiwan by Giant? And does the Orbea Onix fit into your budget?

Have you got a second opinion about transferring your components to another frame? What problems did they specify?

Comment

I'll be framed

If you've only got 1300 quid to spend I think you need to look at second-hand options.

Comment

I'll be framed

£1300 for a bike frame?

Fucking hell. Really?

Comment

I'll be framed

TPC - That is a class post.

EIM - Frames can cost a whole lot more than that believe me. If I had the loot I'd get one of these bad boys

This comes in just under £3k.

I have had a look at the Onix and it was on my shortlist of three with the arte and the Bianchi 1885 b4p alu hoc thingy.

Comment

I'll be framed

I've decided to go for this in the end. A little beauty I'm sure you agree.
                          Please don't say anything to put me off because it has been done.

Comment

I'll be framed

Bloody hell, that SLX Racemaster with the high saddle looks like one mother of a nutbuster.

Comment

I'll be framed

So how come they cost that much? What's the difference between a good frame and a shit one (apart from a shit one being made from mashed potato, or angel delight or something)?

Comment

I'll be framed

The weight, the stiffness, the comfort, and the exclusivity. Not always in that order.

Comment

I'll be framed

The ride

Comment

I'll be framed

Great call on the Colnago, btw. I was never keen on the convex seatstays until I saw one in the flesh - then I understood. Lovely bike.

Comment

I'll be framed

Thanks - Very excited about its delivery.

Comment

I'll be framed

Does this mean you're still on track for the Col de la Croix de Fry, Fausto?

I assume you've seen Prendas' latest jersey...

They list a matching cap and bib-shorts, as well.

Comment

I'll be framed

Those aren't bikes. This, is a fucking bike.

None of your poncy continental foppery here.

Comment

I'll be framed

Ptang ... it's blue!

Comment

I'll be framed

I don't ride and the main reason being is that I find the seats very uncomfortable.. I've had this idea of a "U" shaped seat.. Has such a thing been invented- if so, why isn't it more popular?
                                              Yes I am quite serious here..

Comment

I'll be framed

I do like that del Tongo top.

I am still on course for the Col de la Croix de Fry. I did fear that I wouldn't have a bike for it, but now I'll be driving through France heading for the Alps.
                                                Work is horrific at at the moment so I cannot wait to go.

Comment

I'll be framed

That is a fucking bike Hobbes.
                                                  What's wrong with blue Jorge? It's a boy's bike.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X