And there goes Moss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And there goes Moss!

Stirling Moss dies, aged 90. Long illness, not that one.

Didn't know he had never won the F1 title

Comment

He once insisted to race stewards that rival Mike Hawthorn be reinstated in a race they had disqualified Hawthorn from, as Moss felt that Hawthorn's infraction (reversing on the track to rejoin the race) did not warrant the penalty. That ultimately cost him that year's championship, but as an act of sportsmanship will be remembered longer than had he lifted the trophy.

Comment

One of those famous sportsmen known outside their own sport, along with Jackie Stewart.

Comment

And until the arrival of Nigel Mansell, the default name used when anyone was driving fast/recklessly. As in “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”

RIP

Comment

Is it true that Nigel Mansell never had a UK driving licence or is that urban myth? It was part based on the fact he was from the Isle of Man.

Comment

I think Mansell grew up round Birmingham and didn't move to the Isle of Man until his Formula One days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                And until the arrival of Nigel Mansell, the default name used when anyone was driving fast/recklessly. As in “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”
                In one Tintin book I had as a kid - The Calculus Affair, I think - the translator had gone for Jack Brabham. I don't know if he was more topical when the English version of the book was first published but it looked odd because, as you say, Moss remained the default reference for decades after his prime.

Comment

Sad news, RIP indeed Sir Stirling. As Rogin notes, his fame and reputation deservedly transcended his career, world title or no.

There's a lovely bit in Murray Walker's autobiography where he talks about how Moss successfully reinvented himself, after his career-ending crash at Goodwood in 1962, as "Stirling Moss: personality and living legend" and the two of them not only became good friends but would do cruise ship lecture tours together around 2000. Owing to a certain physical similarity (same shaped head, both balding) people would come up to him the next day and say how they enjoyed that commentator chap's talk, but thought his was much better.

Comment

I attended one of his his book signings at Waterstones a few years ago and got him to dedicate his book to my Dad for Christmas. I get super nervous at these events and never say much (except when I once got Ian Botham to write 'Happy Christmas' in German in his autobiography for my then girlfriend's cricket-nut Austrian Dad). You could sense the awe that Sir Sterling Moss was held in. A gentleman and a great sportsman from a very different era. One of those names you assume will be around for ever. A good innings but a sad, sad loss.

Comment

RIP
                      A bit like with George Lazenby and the Bond films, James Hunt's brief tenure is often forgotten.

Comment

Oh, I feel bad about that. Really enjoyed watching James Hunt. And he was great co-commentating with* Murray Walker.

*correcting

Comment

RIP
                          It was Fittipaldi here.

Comment

Working...
                          X