Coronavirus and Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Doesn't the Western Hemisphere start in Greenwich, London - and all the places on the same meridian?
    I should have added “more or less.”

I think some of Africa and Russia are in the Western Hemisphere too.

Comment

Red Bull's Helmut Marko told team's drivers to become infected

Comment

Ben Stokes has taken exception to an article by George Dobell:

[URL]https://twitter.com/benstokes38/status/1245287038158622720[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          I think some of Africa and Russia are in the Western Hemisphere too.
          That sounded so weird to start with, until it struck me the far east of Russia is in the Western Hemisphere because the two hemispheres meet up again 'around the back'. Fiji is also in both hemispheres via straddling the antimeridian.

West Africa is certainly in the Western Hemisphere: everything from Morocco around to Ghana, a good dozen countries or more.

Iceland, Ireland, Portugal and a lot of Spain – and a chunk of France – are also in the Western Hemisphere. Aside from the bulk of England, so too are the entirety of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I'm sitting about 3.2º W right here and now!

Comment

I just thought Western Hemisphere is less fraught with issues than calling it The Americas, but I guess not.

Comment

In 'no shit Sherlock' news, Wimbledon is off for this year.

Comment

There's a reasonably good chance that we'll have college football next spring. It would just cost too much to bag the whole season, but the odds of everything being sorta ok by September are not great, but it would be worth a shot to just do it late. Could create a problem having the next season start the following September, but it's better than the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  In 'no shit Sherlock' news, Wimbledon is off for this year.
                  Seems like by July we could at least have tennis with no fans in the arena. But maybe it's not worth it given that the players won't really be properly prepared.

The NFL is pretending like everything is fine. The commissioner is getting some blowback for pushing ahead with the draft in a few weeks. It might be just a big zoom meeting with Rich Eisen quarterbacking the coverage from his living room while the comish reads the picks from his mansion. Sounds fine.

I have a feeling that this may be the end of Goddell. He's just fucked up too many PR issues of the past few years. The owners will lose patience eventually.

Comment

How long before the US Open series follows Wimbledon and cancels? I would guess by the end of April, unless they are gambling stupidly on the virus having a summer respite before the second wave in the Autumn?

Comment

If Nadal misses his chance to win another French Open, and Djok another Wimbledon and possibly US Open, does a small asterisk now have to appear over Federer's 20 grand slam record if it still stands by the end of 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        If Nadal misses his chance to win another French Open, and Djok another Wimbledon and possibly US Open, does a small asterisk now have to appear over Federer's 20 grand slam record if it still stands by the end of 2021?
                        No.

Comment

Federer would have been a contender in those tournaments and could claim he was denied a chance to exceed the 20. Djokovic and Nadal may have had fitness issues.

Comment

The UK's golf authorities are adopting the same head in sand over the Open that Wimbledon was doing a month ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y-talks-for-ra

However, whereas Wimbledon cannot feasibly be played after July, there is a possibility of playing the Open in September playing off two tees with a reduced field. The sticking point then (assuming the Americans and others actually show up) would be if there's a window in the calendar.

Comment

The Open finally bites the dust...

Comment

With some of the sports where individuals qualified as part of teams, will those teams stick with the players that would have gone Tokyo this year, or can they re-select? The men's football is now effectively an under-24 competition next year, for example, and there's every chance that some coaches will want to look at a different pool of players in 12 months' time than the 21 and 22 year olds who got them through qualifying?

Comment

I think I read that those results will hold, at least in some sports.

The postponement is going to mean the end of some careers. Some athletes just can’t afford to postpone their real jobs another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    With some of the sports where individuals qualified as part of teams, will those teams stick with the players that would have gone Tokyo this year, or can they re-select? The men's football is now effectively an under-24 competition next year, for example, and there's every chance that some coaches will want to look at a different pool of players in 12 months' time than the 21 and 22 year olds who got them through qualifying?
                                    One sport is not reselecting, despite the delay :

Joe Clarke "does not understand" British Canoeing's decision after it confirmed the defending Olympic K1 slalom champion would remain out of the team for the postponed Tokyo Games.

The team selected in October 2019 will travel, despite Tokyo 2020 being moved because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Comment

That's dumb.

Comment

Interesting piece from The Secret Pro about the current situation in cycling, how stupid it was to run Paris - Nice, the combined ineptitude of the UCI and the riders union and how the sport might get started again.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/04/the-...kdown-edition/

Comment

The Cricketer magazine is doing a video game competition in which county players control their sides. Sussex are currently playing Kent at the SCG (no, me either).

Adam Collins and Daniel Norcross providing well pitched commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_w-aTTRrs

Comment

Who needs that when you've got: https://www.fromthepavilion.org

Proper cricket this.

Comment

Weird that they don't specify which game it is, I bet the developers are pissed off. I'm inferring from the jumbotron ad they show that it's Cricket 19, but it might be Ashes Cricket [2017].

It would be more fun if they used the infamously terrible Ashes Cricket 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                The Cricketer magazine is doing a video game competition in which county players control their sides. Sussex are currently playing Kent at the SCG (no, me either).

Adam Collins and Daniel Norcross providing well pitched commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_w-aTTRrs
                                                Bit anti-northern that competition. No place for Yorkshire, Lancashire, Durham or even Derbyshire. Cricket's back (to the 70s, it seems)

Comment

Not the Tour de France, not the Tour de France, not the Tour ... oh, merde.

Comment

Postponed but not cancelled (yet), though.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/cyclin...-new-dates-set

Comment

Working...
                                                    X