Coronavirus and Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Doesn't the Western Hemisphere start in Greenwich, London - and all the places on the same meridian?
    I should have added “more or less.”

I think some of Africa and Russia are in the Western Hemisphere too.

Comment

Red Bull's Helmut Marko told team's drivers to become infected

Comment

Ben Stokes has taken exception to an article by George Dobell:

[URL]https://twitter.com/benstokes38/status/1245287038158622720[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          I think some of Africa and Russia are in the Western Hemisphere too.
          That sounded so weird to start with, until it struck me the far east of Russia is in the Western Hemisphere because the two hemispheres meet up again 'around the back'. Fiji is also in both hemispheres via straddling the antimeridian.

West Africa is certainly in the Western Hemisphere: everything from Morocco around to Ghana, a good dozen countries or more.

Iceland, Ireland, Portugal and a lot of Spain – and a chunk of France – are also in the Western Hemisphere. Aside from the bulk of England, so too are the entirety of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I'm sitting about 3.2º W right here and now!

Comment

I just thought Western Hemisphere is less fraught with issues than calling it The Americas, but I guess not.

Comment

In 'no shit Sherlock' news, Wimbledon is off for this year.

Comment

There's a reasonably good chance that we'll have college football next spring. It would just cost too much to bag the whole season, but the odds of everything being sorta ok by September are not great, but it would be worth a shot to just do it late. Could create a problem having the next season start the following September, but it's better than the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  In 'no shit Sherlock' news, Wimbledon is off for this year.
                  Seems like by July we could at least have tennis with no fans in the arena. But maybe it's not worth it given that the players won't really be properly prepared.

The NFL is pretending like everything is fine. The commissioner is getting some blowback for pushing ahead with the draft in a few weeks. It might be just a big zoom meeting with Rich Eisen quarterbacking the coverage from his living room while the comish reads the picks from his mansion. Sounds fine.

I have a feeling that this may be the end of Goddell. He's just fucked up too many PR issues of the past few years. The owners will lose patience eventually.

Comment

How long before the US Open series follows Wimbledon and cancels? I would guess by the end of April, unless they are gambling stupidly on the virus having a summer respite before the second wave in the Autumn?

Comment

If Nadal misses his chance to win another French Open, and Djok another Wimbledon and possibly US Open, does a small asterisk now have to appear over Federer's 20 grand slam record if it still stands by the end of 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        If Nadal misses his chance to win another French Open, and Djok another Wimbledon and possibly US Open, does a small asterisk now have to appear over Federer's 20 grand slam record if it still stands by the end of 2021?
                        No.

Comment

Federer would have been a contender in those tournaments and could claim he was denied a chance to exceed the 20. Djokovic and Nadal may have had fitness issues.

Comment

The UK's golf authorities are adopting the same head in sand over the Open that Wimbledon was doing a month ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y-talks-for-ra

However, whereas Wimbledon cannot feasibly be played after July, there is a possibility of playing the Open in September playing off two tees with a reduced field. The sticking point then (assuming the Americans and others actually show up) would be if there's a window in the calendar.

Comment

Working...
                            X