Coronavirus and Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus and Sport

The organizers of the Olympics in Tokyo are denying any threat to the Games at this point. How long is that head in the sand approach likely to be sustainable?

Other events that appear to be vulnerable are Asian zone World Cup qualifiers. Any news on these?

It is impossible to underestimate how much the Japanese government and business establishment have invested in the Olympics. Ever since the bid came together, they have been seen as both a demonstration of the country's escape from two lost decades of economic stasis and an engine for growth.

They will use any means necessary to keep them in place..

There have been suggestions that some of the Asian qualifiers will be moved or postponed, particularly those involving China, Iran and South Korea, though I don't think any definitive decisions have been made.

There is also concern in Italy about the matches it is scheduled to host in the Euros.

Here is a summary of sporting impacts from the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...s-factbox.html

Comment

I would imagine they'll hold off as long as they can. Most non-sporting events in my professional sphere are going ahead for now, including a major conference in Korea in June. If the summer is likely to see an easing of the crisis, it doesn't make sense to cancel at this stage.

Comment

Holding events behind closed doors is one option, although Serie A backed off a decision to do that last weekend. Athletes seem willing to risk death to compete in the Olympics.

Comment

The problem is that it isn’t their death they are risking. They are risking spreading it further. The people who die from it will be immunocompromised people.

Comment

The Spartan League have banned pre-match handshakes. They've not said anything about post-match.

Comment

Do sports teams still have a naked bath together after matches?

Comment

Originally posted by Forest Gump View Post
                The Spartan League have banned pre-match handshakes.
                How things have changed since Thermopylae.

Comment

Tokyo 1964 ran from 10 to 24 October and Seoul 1988 ran from 17 September to 2 October in 1988 so it wouldn't be unprecedented and the weather would presumably be OK (average temperatures 71° / 58° F). November is trickier (62° / 49° F).
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-03-2020, 14:35.

Comment

I was going to say that would move them into the typhoon season, but a quick bit of research tells me that they're already in the peak of the season, and this would move them out a bit.

Comment

Yes, I think the current scheduling disadvantages the athletes in order to maximize TV revenue, whereas in 1964 they actually went with the best slot for the conditions.

The rugby World Cup has already shown the risks of typhoon season scheduling.

Comment

As if there weren't already enough reasons to dislike RB Leipzig, they seem to have kicked out a group of Japanese spectators for, um, 'reasons'. Disease-related reasons, yeah, definitely. Shitty apology too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51720134

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Do sports teams still have a naked bath together after matches?
                          Plus: playing home games at a rival’s ground (part II), playing for the most clubs beginning with the same letter and more

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            It is impossible to underestimate how much the Japanese government and business establishment have invested in the Olympics. [/URL]
                            Curiously reassuring to see that ursus is fallible.

Comment

I know that you aren't being completely serious, but I don't see the contradiction.

Delay would allow the government and sponsors to maintain their benefits while screwing the television companies (who bid on the basis of a "summer" slot) and (to a lesser extent) athletes who have been training towards a date certain.

That's why it is being floated by the Minister. It serves to move the conversation from "should the Games be cancelled" to "should the Games be delayed".

Comment

Valencia - Atalanta and Getafe - Inter to be played behind closed doors.

Comment

Potentially Barcelona-Napoli as well, evidently

Comment

I know that you aren't being completely serious, but I don't see the contradiction.

Delay would allow the government and sponsors to maintain their benefits while screwing the television companies (who bid on the basis of a "summer" slot) and (to a lesser extent) athletes who have been training towards a date certain.

That's why it is being floated by the Minister. It serves to move the conversation from "should the Games be cancelled" to "should the Games be delayed".
                                    Is your hypothesis that the Japanese wanted October all along?

Comment

They preferred October all along, but couldn't get the IOC to buy into that because of the financial hit on television rights.

I don't think this is an end run on that, but rather that it serves the purpose I outlined. It also has the potential to get the marathon back to Tokyo, which the government and sponsors would see as a win (it has been moved to Sapporo because of the heat and humidity)

Comment

Potentially Barcelona-Napoli as well, evidently
                                        Not yet due to geographical location of the Italian club.

Comment

The minister in question has obviously never attended a Napoli match at the Meazza (or in Bergamo, for that matter).

Comment

There's an IOC rule that the Olympics can't open before the third Friday in July and can't end later than the first Sunday in October - although it's possible that may no longer be the case, some Gulf states were lobbying to have it amended or scrapped outright.

Comment

It seems that window narrowed in 2000:

The IOC established July and August as the months to hold the Summer Olympics in 2000, Noyelle said.
                                              https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...-idUSKBN1KG17H

Comment

Swiss football league is on hold until mid-March when the federal govt will review the ban events with 2000 people and more. The Swiss ice hockey league has also postponed the start of the playoffs/playouts until the same date.

Comment

Working...
                                                X