No announcement yet.

MLB 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the Rays is glory hunting. You're safe, Greenlander. Even though the Rays have been consistently good for the past decade, they really are the little engine that could. Bottom or near bottom payroll in the league yet a regular contender.

I'm not a fan of cutting to 7 innings. As UA said, that won't happen unless there is longer time between innings (i.e., the advertisers will get the same amount of ad time but might actually get more eyes on their ads because shorter games means people watching longer).

I am currently watching Dodgers-Dbacks on ESPN+ (which I love because I can select home or away commentary). Stripling is engaged with a 13 pitch at bat as I write this with Starling Marte. Marte just fouled off a pitch, but the time the catcher, first basemen were back and the ball back to the pitcher and Marte was still not in the box. He had time to adjust his gloves 4 times while they were coming back.

BTW, Marte would normally be on the public enemy list for me because of the failed drugs test. I hear during Summer Camp that his wife died recently and he's raising 3 young kids. That's a tough go. He was ready to quit and they supposedly encouraged him to keep playing.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      A triple play is a bit of a balm when getting shellacked by the Reds
      Shame it bounced though.

Comment

Padres made use of the runner on second in extra innings for the first time and won in a high-scoring 10th inning last night. Happy days.

Comment

A nice thing about games in empty stadia is hearing home run balls landing onto the seats.

Comment

Two Cardinals have tested postiive.

Comment

This isn’t working, is it?

Comment

I've been texting with a friend who is also a big baseball fan. I don't think they needed to use the NBA/NHL bubble but the teams need to be bubbles. That is, charter flights so nobody else is on the flight, don't let anyone else in the stadium who is not part of the teams, hire chefs to make high quality meals at the hotels or at the stadia so players are not going out to eat, players only leave the hotel to go to low density areas for walks (akin to what the rest of us are doing who have basically stayed in quarantine since March).

But I would guess players go to restaurants, strip clubs, meet up with the ladies, hang out with friends. If they wear a mask, they do what many fools do: the nose doesn't require covering (they think) so the mask is either covering the mouth only or the chin only.

Comment

The players weren't willing to accept those kinds of restrictions for several months, but this model was always going to be challenging.

Comment

I'm guessing that the season won't make it past August.

Comment

The commercial and financial pressures will be intense

The original "line in the sand" was about "distorting the competition", but that didn't last a week, given that Miami and Philly have each missed more than a sixth of their "season" and a fifth of all teams have missed at least one game. See also seven inning games in doubleheaders, which is expected to be approved either today or over the weekend.

Comment

It may not be as spectacular as his swims, but this from Baez was pretty sweet.

Comment

Javy is fun to watch

The starters have been as good as the bullpen has been bad. 8-2 feels very fortunate, but I'm not complaining.

Comment

Just parking this here

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1290727370509266944?s=19

Comment

Gwynn always seemed to kill the Giants

Comment

Such a shame that he couldn't dump the chewing tobacco. He really should be coaching right now.

Comment

Dodgers let the Padres get close but then Taylor saves the day with a double play (last out at the plate) to end the game:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/29604563

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                    Such a shame that he couldn't dump the chewing tobacco. He really should be coaching right now.
                                    Yes, I don't know if he would be the Padres manager by now. He had almost too high a status there for that to work.

The more I write about him on my blog the more I realise how young he was when he died.

Back to this season, the Padres seem to be reverting to the mean with that series loss to the Dodgers.

Comment

I don't know if he would have joined the Padres as manager. I'm sure the pressure from the public would have been enough that he and Preller would have caved. But he had been coaching San Diego State (Strasburg was there when Gwynn was alive). When I saw him interviewed, he possessed an ability to talk about hitting in a way that showed he could see beyond his own talent. That is, there is often chatter that super star players can't coach because they don't understand why others lack the intuition and skill that the star possesses. Gwynn seemed to understand hitting that existed outside his own talent.

Comment

Cubs/Cardinals series postponed after two more Cardinals players and a staff member test postiive. Getting hard to see how St Louis will finish the season at this rate.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                          I don't know if he would have joined the Padres as manager. I'm sure the pressure from the public would have been enough that he and Preller would have caved. But he had been coaching San Diego State (Strasburg was there when Gwynn was alive). When I saw him interviewed, he possessed an ability to talk about hitting in a way that showed he could see beyond his own talent. That is, there is often chatter that super star players can't coach because they don't understand why others lack the intuition and skill that the star possesses. Gwynn seemed to understand hitting that existed outside his own talent.
                                          I've read about his coaching and it seemed he was very good at it. I think the problem is that managers often end up getting sacked and that would have potentially caused terrible fall-out.

Marlins have come back strong.

Comment

Tatis Jr singlehandedly beat the D-backs last night.

Comment

There's a cardboard panda in the fans behind the plate on Oakland. And at least one doggo.

Comment

They have some giant plush bears in the seats down the third base line. By far the most creative approach to the genre.

Comment

I don't know how many of you played baseball when you were younger. I only played pick-up baseball with friends in the park. Soccer and basketball were my organized sports until I got sick of people telling me what to do. But I'm wondering why the knob of the baseball bat has never really changed in the last 50 years. I watched some of the Cleveland-White Sox game and the batter almost was hit in the hand. He got lucky that he choked up a bit. It would seem to be that the base of the bat could be widened to nearly the size of a ball without adding much weight and that move would create a little extra protection from getting hit in the hand. If you imagine a skinny hockey puck size base of the bat, that's what I'm thinking. This re-design certainly wouldn't prevent all hand injuries but might prevent some. Does anyone have any sense of engineering to know if such a move would radically alter the movement of a bat during a swing?

Comment

Players would be very wary of the extra weight, if it was only marginal. See how the Japanese-style scoop out of the other end of the bat became very popular in MLB by eliminating a similar amount of the bat's overall weight without effecting the barrel.

I'd also be concerned if you would inadvertently create a new type of hand injuries in which the hand was caught between the ball and the enlarged knob. When that situation presents itself now, the result is usually a dropped bat and a bruise.

In any event, bat knobs are already larger than they were a century ago.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X