England cricket flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England cricket flags

When you watch the England cricket team play abroad a good percentage of the flags have the name of an English football club on them. Or wearing their football tops. On the face of it, its not extraordinary, because I never remember it being any different but when you stop to think about it it is a little "interesting".

Analagous to a crowd of Americans watching the USA basketball team abroad wearing "CHICAGO BEARS" jerseys or with "NEW YORK GIANTS" emblazoned on the stars and stripes.

I get that there is a lot of crossover with football and cricket supporters but why do these travelling fans feel so compelled to advertise what club they support in another sport? When did this practice start?

I don't know when it started but it was certainly going strong in 1996 when I went to the Cape Town test and a one-day international. In fact there were so many (shirts) that I started making a note of those I'd seen. I probably still have the list somewhere but the figure of 47 different clubs sticks in my mind.
    Last edited by Capybara; 19-01-2020, 21:23.

Comment

The flags were common in the 1990's, shirts maybe a bit later. As much as anything, I think originally it was easier to pack your "Chesterfield FC" flag than make a new one, and for many travelling fans they were more likely to have one of those in regular use than "Derbyshire CC".

Comment

I'd imagine that back when following England abroad became a thing there was no such things as colours only whites. I can't remember when domestic one-day teams switched to coloured clothing and I'm not even sure that replica cricket shirts have, even now, become a thing.

Not only that but plenty of folk out there don't come from a region with a first class county.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
          I'd imagine that back when following England abroad became a thing there was no such things as colours only whites. I can't remember when domestic one-day teams switched to coloured clothing and I'm not even sure that replica cricket shirts have, even now, become a thing.

Not only that but plenty of folk out there don't come from a region with a first class county.
          There are plenty of replica England shirts (and other merchandise) on display at matches, counties less so. As suggested, not everyone identifies with a first class county - I certainly don't, and I'd be a hypocrite to go round in a Cumberland shirt given I haven't seen them since approx. 1983.

As for why England cricket fans wear replica football tops "on tour", in any given situation when away out of the country a fair proportion of English (and Scottish and Welsh for that matter, though less visible in this example) will wear football tops, so this is just a slightly exaggerated example.

It's just another case of football dominating the sporting landscape in this country in a way that say the NFL doesn't completely trample baseball or basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
            I can't remember when domestic one-day teams switched to coloured clothing and I'm not even sure that replica cricket shirts have, even now, become a thing.
            I still regularly wear my Notts top from 1992, which was the first season of the colours in the UK. I does confuse people in pubs, which is, of course, the main reason I wear it.

Comment

Working...
            X