Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is presently the longest incumbent world champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is presently the longest incumbent world champion?

Or, in sports that don't have a world championship that is recognised as the big thing, the world number one where that is a proxy?

Michael van Gerwen has been ranked world number one in darts since 2014 but has only actually been world champion in three of those years (I think), so that would be an example of where more people refer to the champion than the number one and it's not van Gerwen at present.

Is it Marc Marquez, in Moto GP, who has been world champion and de facto number one in each of the last four years?

Magnus Carlsen has been world number 1 since 1st January 2010 and Clasical Chess world champion since 22nd November 2013.

Comment

Well, I beat my brother in the Kitchen Towel Throwing World Championship in 1989, and nobidy has challenged me t the title since. So I think I'm still Kitchen Towel Throwing World Champion after 30 years.

Comment

Hakuhō Shō has been pretty much unstoppable in Sumo since he became yokozuna in 2010.

Comment

The IBF, WBC, IBO, WBO and WBA. The current longest-reigning champion is Wanheng Menayothin at minimumweight. Wanheng has ruled since 2014.

Had to Google this obviously.

Comment

Nobody currently has been at No. 1 as long as West Indies and Australia were in 1978-1995 and around 1996-2008 respectively. OTOH cricket is a small field with only around 6 realistic contenders for No. 1 (or who have ever been No. 1).

Don Bradman was No. 1 batsman for 18 years or so, 1930 until retirement. Had he not retired, he'd have done 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
              Well, I beat my brother in the Kitchen Towel Throwing World Championship in 1989, and nobidy has challenged me t the title since. So I think I'm still Kitchen Towel Throwing World Champion after 30 years.
              The rules for this intrigue me. Was it a target contest or distance? And if distance, were you allowed to knot the towel up into a ball?

Comment

Competitive stone skimming has been dominated by Dougie Isaacs for as long as I can remember, with Ron Long matching him in the veterans category.

I didn’t go to last years event but my mate Mike reckons a Hungarian beat him.

Comment

If I find the right stone and the sea conditions are calm I can get a consistant 18 or so on Wembury Beach. My best is in the low 20s as the last few skips are notoriously hard to count, but to find the record is 88 has knocked all sense at being any good at skimming stones out of me. That's just crazy bouncing.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                    And there was me thinking that my 17 year reign as Washing Machine Football World Champion would be tough to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

The rules for this intrigue me. Was it a target contest or distance? And if distance, were you allowed to knot the towel up into a ball?
                      It was serve and return. Knotting the towel up in a ball? We weren't savages, my good man!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                        If I find the right stone and the sea conditions are calm I can get a consistant 18 or so on Wembury Beach. My best is in the low 20s as the last few skips are notoriously hard to count, but to find the record is 88 has knocked all sense at being any good at skimming stones out of me. That's just crazy bouncing.
                        Eighty-eight!!!!!

Comment

And a world record for distance of 121.8 metres. Good grief.

Comment

That is incredible!

Comment

That girl is going to be in beers for life dining out on the story of how she measured the world record distance stone-skim.

Comment

Well I've seen it but I can't really believe what I've seen.

Comment

I'm adding myself to the OTF list of "competent stone skimmers who fancied themselves as quite good at it until the internet ruined it". Would love to see what kind of stone Dougie is packing. And I'd like to add 'wow', obviously.

Comment

Nobody has triple-jumped further than Jonathan Edwards since 1995.

He's probably shit at skimming stones, though.

Comment

Bob Beamon, long jump record, 8.9 metres, 23 years, 1968 to 1991.

Comment

With obvious thanks to wiki

Jarmila Kratochvílová won the 400 metres and 800 metres at the 1983 World Championships, setting a world record in the 400 m.[3] In 1983, she also set the world record for the 800 metres, which still stands and which is currently the longest-standing individual world record in athletics.

Comment

A record that is almost universally thought to have been achieved through the use of industrial quantities of PEDs

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                                            Bob Beamon, long jump record, 8.9 metres, 23 years, 1968 to 1991.
                                            Finally beaten by Mike Powell, 8.95 metres and that still stands after 29 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              A record that is almost universally thought to have been achieved through the use of industrial quantities of PEDs
                                              We talking about nefarious East European Kratochvílová or clean-living God-bothering Bilghty hero Edwards here?

Comment

The former

Comment

How long will it take someone to surpass the longest jump of the Edwards career? 18.43 metres with a tail wind over the limit.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X