Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You wait ages for a tricked up Davis Cup ... (2020 tennis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! Edmund wins a title (New York). Only a 250, but a title is a title. Back up to 45th in the rankings as a result.

Comment

Pleased for Edmund.

Kim Clijsters made a comeback today in the wta, playing against muguruza. the last wta match she played was back in 2012, against Laura Robson.

Comment

Someone will be happy...

Comment

My response to Sharapova's retirement is the same mild surprise you get when the news is broken of the death of someone you thought was already dead.

Comment

Maria Sharapova tour level titles pre doping ban: 35 from 185 events
            Post doping ban: 1/27

Comment

Good riddance.

Comment

Heather Watson wins in Mexico for her 4th WTA title.

Comment

This is still the current general tennis thread, right? Dormant for nearly 5 months as I write this post. Evidently none of the limited non-Tour tournaments such as the British domestic events have been of sufficient interest to prompt any comment on here.

A few observations.

First, the awful Sharapova was bloody lucky with the timing of her retirement.

Second, and others may have much more info on this than I do, the ATP and the WTA both seem to be either (a) pretty slow at coming to a decision about how, if at all, to tweak their rankings systems for the COVID break or (b) giving info about any such tweaks on their websites. I mean, surely something needs to be done - or action at least debated - about the fact that a literal "rolling 12 month" system will soon have only about 7 months worth of results in it, with further omissions (e.g. all the autumn China events) to come. There is simply nothing - or at least nothing easily findable - on either website about how they will deal with that (e.g just accept it, as points drop off without being replaced, or perhaps keep points from expiring tournaments where no equivalent tournament is occurring due to COVID). They need to get their act together.

Third, we don't know whether players who have caught the virus (Dimitrov being the most open about his tribulations, but Djokovic of course also hit) will ever make a sufficiently complete recovery to compete at the top level.

Comment

Djokovic was reportedly asymptomatic. He only knew he had the virus because he was tested due to contact with Dinitrov. The same is true of all the other players who subsequently tested positive. It feels unlikely that asymptomatic people will suffer any permanent effects - the best guess is those will be damage caused by the symptoms. I assume, therefore, that Djoker's fitness has not be compromised one iota, let alone it being enough to prevent him competing at the top level.

As I understood it, the rankings were frozen on the suspension of play. Results from Wimbledon 2019 etc are still part of player's ranking today rather than having expired. IIRC there was an announcement along those lines at the time.

Comment

Info on the rankings being frozen and the meaning of this is very easily findable on the WTA website. From the home page just click the rankings link and you will find a headline banner across the page linking to this article explaining things:- https://www.wtatennis.com/news/16470...-ranking-mean-

Comment

The big conundrum for the tennis rankings I guess is not so much the "last twelve months" thing as much as most top-50 players' rankings solely rely on their results in Grand Slams and Masters series events. With half of those gone, it's going to be hard to get the rankings back onto a level base until there's a full annual calendar again.

Comment

I think they should extend the period to 15 months so that the 2019 French and Wimbledon are included. Revert to 12 when they can include a Wimbledon (July 2021), although that would then include two French Opens if Roland Garros goes ahead this year and next June.

I don't think it's entirely proven that asymptomatic carriers have no long-term damage. There is at least one source suggesting possible lung damage

https://globalbiodefense.com/2020/06...p-lung-damage/
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-07-2020, 19:42.

Comment

Suggested solution (which is my guess as to what will happen) - points for an event expire when the next edition* is played, whenever that next edition may happen to be. So Wimbledon 2019 points stay on rankings until June 2021, but Roland Garros 2019 drops when Roland Garros 2020 occurs in September (if it actually goes ahead!).

* - or a replacement tournament, if an event sells it's licence on.

Comment

Barty officially out of Flushing Meadow's, which is likely to be the first of many significant withdrawals.

Comment

Certain key female players (Halep, Andreescu, Osaka) are not signed up for the Western & Southern warm-up event (to be played in New York this year rather than Cincinnati). That makes them seem likely to also scratch. However both Djokovic and Nadal, both of whom have stated reservations about traveling, are listed for the Men's version of the warm-up. But that could be because the Men's is a Masters Series so players are automatically entered, whilst the Women's event, as a Prem 5, requires an active entry by the player(s rep).

Comment

Where do players perceive the safety risks to be highest - on the plane; in the accommodation; other players and coaches?

Comment

Nick Kyrgios in "coming across as a thoroughly decent chap" shock:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...&sf236512134=1

Comment

Nadal has withdrawn from the US Open. Many more to follow, surely? Travel just too risky.

Comment

Possibly also too risky to go to France (which was surely Nadal's plan) - rising cases mean the government there is reversing some of it's lockdown easing. And an issue for the FFT - their plans, as announced a month or so ago, were for 10,000 fans per day on Chatrier and 20,000 in total on the grounds (I'm guessing a good chunk of those on Lenglen and the rest grounds tickets). But now the limit on public gatherings of no more than 5,000, which was due to be eased at the end of August, is in place to the end of October. So that is that scuppered. I wonder if they will go ahead at all now?

Comment

Murray just backed up a first round win over Tiafoe with a 3 set victory over top 10 player Alexander Zverev. Both players seemed to see the finish line and wobble. Murray was in command at 4-1 in final set then fell apart for about 15 mins but then Zverev got a dose of the yips and Murray got confidence to reel off 3 games in a row to win it 7-5. Up next, Raonic.

Comment

Sam Querrey tested positive at an event in St Petersburg and rather than follow protocol, he and his family skipped the hotel and got on a private plane back to the US.

Reckon it could be (and probably ought to be) the end of his career.

(unless of course it was some kind of elaborate eyesight test)

Comment

Very good!

Comment

Interesting piece by the Guardian on the Zverev abuse allegations and how the tennis establishment is struggling to react properly.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...exander-zverev

Comment

Such is the sense of dislocation from the normal sporting schedule I didn't even realise the ATP Finals started yesterday until I saw a TV listing for today's matches. It's especially frustrating as I normally get along to a couple of sessions and this is the final year in London before the competition moves to Turin.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X