No announcement yet.

Rugby 2020: No Gatland or Schmidt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the most frustrating part of the match and the most obvious example of the poor decision making I referred to above.

This boneheaded macho bluster to keep taking the scrum when it was ineffective, uses up time we need and there is always the risk that the ref will give a numberwang loopy decision like he did when Bamba came on immediately drove crooked and somehow got the penalty. Had we taken the three points at the end of the first half and kicked to the corner in the later passage of play there's a good chance we could have won.

More worrying though was the fact that our only attacking tactic was to one dimensionally bludgeon away through phases like Warrenball at its worst but without allying it to the defensive solidity and other pluses of that era.

Twickenham could be a world of pain for us, I'm not sure how many of the players injured yesterday and prior might be back but we need a far more impressive display.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-02-2020, 16:40.

Comment

Tompkins was a big plus to come out of this game for Wales. Looks small next to the giant centres he faced but ran hard and intelligently. Looked argumentative at the end and the likes of Biggar, Adams and even AWJ showed their tetchy side in the match. Having said that, as viewers we don't know half of what goes on down there.

Comment

Biggar would show his tetchy side come what may, he's a proper old woman.

Comment

Given how eccentric the ref, touch judges and TMO's performances were*, I think a certain amount of tetchiness Is unsurprising.

* though I'm not sure how much they affected the final result. Biggar's try didn't look grounded on the screens in the stadium (I haven't watched the match back yet, I presume the ref's question to the TMO was crucial) which would cancel out the bizarre decision regarding Willemse's clearly deliberate knock on. A couple of the breakdown calls were staggeringly inept though.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-02-2020, 14:52.

Comment

True the TMO decisions evened themselves out.

Comment

Practically an own goal from Sexton there.

Comment

Followed by a shanked simple penalty.

Comment

https://twitter.com/midi_olympique/status/1231598629963563011

Comment

What the fuck are Ireland playing at in the in goal area? Schoolboy stuff.

Comment

What was Stockdale doing?

Ireland have to score next or else it's game over. And that doesn't look likely.

Comment

They don't like it up 'em. French grand slam?

Comment

We can but hope.

France v Ireland is the final game in the tournament on the evening of 'Super Saturday' so was already looking like a potential title decider (with due respect to Scotland and Italy in the next round of games).
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-02-2020, 16:06.

Comment

Ireland have played so badly it's like someone's told them it's a World Cup quarter-final.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-02-2020, 16:44.

Comment

From being a flawlessly handsome young man I think it's fair to say Courtney Lawes now has an 84 cap face. It's tough out there.

Comment

Watching Jonathan sexton wandering around with what seemed like the cumulative brain damage of a thousand high tackles, I couldn't help wondering, were Ireland targeting Owen Farrell enough? I don't know if they were

Comment

Josh Adams is out of the rest of the 6N and North must be a doubt for the next game at least.

Rhys Webb has joined Bath on a four month contract prior to going to Ospreys next season, he's in line to play in the derby with Bristol at the weekend (his special dispensation from the 60 cap rule remains as he has already signed a contract with a Welsh region).

Liam Williams joins Scarlets with immediate effect, ahead of his planned move there in the summer, and may play at the weekend too.

Comment

Ireland v Italy postponed due to coronavirus. This could end up like the 2001 6 Nations which finished in October due to foot & mouth,

Comment

I'm guessing the U20 is also off along with the women's match.

Comment

Dan Biggar got injured today and first reports say it's not looking good. Jarrod Evans is the only fit ten now.

George North has apparently been passed fit after his concussion versus France.

Comment

I see the Six Nations looks set to move to Sky in the UK - at least in the Republic, the Irish matches would be moved to the protected list, if they aren't on it already. Only deferred at present, though that will be reviewed.
                                          Last edited by Diable Rouge; 01-03-2020, 15:47.

Comment

That story is very speculative at the moment, I'd like to see it stood up. I think everyone knows it would be disastrous in terms of wider interest in the tournament to make a switch to subscription TV.

Comment

Sam Davies has been called into the Wales squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                That story is very speculative at the moment, I'd like to see it stood up. I think everyone knows it would be disastrous in terms of wider interest in the tournament to make a switch to subscription TV.
                                                Brian Moore tears proposed Six Nations paywall TV deal apart amid stark warning

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Brian Moore's view.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  Sam Davies has been called into the Wales squad.
                                                  Is that officially called up for the squad or still just training with them to make up the numbers as he has been for a few days? Although I have to say the distinction between those does seem marginal and is probably just a case of having him officially listed somewhere.

Comment

I've read both versions Ray, seeing as he's likely to be on the bench I think he's been called up.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X