No announcement yet.

Rugby 2020: No Gatland or Schmidt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cian Healy doesn't look at at well to me.

Comment

Clear penalty try for France - certainly much more so than the Irish claim earlier.

Comment

Suddenly, France's target of 45 doesn't seem out of bounds.

Comment

Fantastic try by Henshaw.

Comment

What's gone right for France? Some of my thoughts.

Shaun Edwards for one thing.
            Blooding s lot of keen, young players.
            Getting rid of the old guard. I'm thinking how many of the players kicked out after the Scotland game have returned? Only Teddy Thomas springs to mind.

Comment

In the last three days I've watched Wales, Scarlets and Cardiff lose at home in three completely appalling behind closed doors games by a combined total of 8 points.

It's like aversion therapy.

Comment

Are Wales going through a bad patch or is there something really wrong with the national side?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Are Wales going through a bad patch or is there something really wrong with the national side?
                  I think there are three things going on:

1. Gatland to Pivac is a bit like Ferguson to Moyes, plus there's no Shaun Edwards

2. An ageing team with the replacements being young and lacking test match experience

3. The change in style, trying to play a higher skill set game with players used to Gatland and Edwards' approach

Without a strong set piece and good ball you'll always struggle, Wales have often had that problem and it's coming back.

Comment

My sporting hat collecting has reached obsessional levels during lowdown/shutdown/WFH whatever we call it.

I'm very happy with my latest one, the colour scheme and lettering (both the font and its embroidered natiure) gives it a really pleasing Tour de France vibe ;

Comment

Very nice

They have been very solid design wise since they got back to the Top 14

Comment

He is just an awe-inspiring man, rugby is going to really miss him when he finally goes :

https://twitter.com/jaredwright17/status/1324824785621295105?s=21

Very annoying that nobody seems to be televising the Top 14 in the UK any more.

Comment

Due to a Covid19 outbreak, Leicester have stopped training. This might be to their advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                            Due to a Covid19 outbreak, Leicester have stopped training. This might be to their advantage.
                            The Dragons have been shut down for two weeks as well.

Comment

Another very eventful Bledisloe Cup game today with a cracking finish after last week's record All Black blowout.

Despite SA staying home this has the makings of a good Tri-Nations Championship if Argentina can be competitive. Having all the games in Australia has been offset by the very sizeable crowds allowed.

I'm always shocked by the amount of Kiwi supporters who are at away games across the Tasman but clearly today's were exiles. A large amount of them booed the kicker for every single Aussie shot at goal today too, the wankers.

Comment

Well, this is very interesting - especially the timing :

https://twitter.com/welshrugbyunion/status/1325411761013596163?s=21

Comment

Things haven't gone right for Wales, it was perhaps the most controversial appointment as well, and it meant Shaun Edwards left. However it's still a shock.

My feeling, especially after listening to Shaun Edwards on the Scrum V podcast, is that Gethin Jenkins well get the job. At least for the autumn series.

Comment

Is Gethin already on the coaching team? The article says "The existing experienced coaching team will manage the defence for the upcoming games."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      Is Gethin already on the coaching team? The article says "The existing experienced coaching team will manage the defence for the upcoming games."
                                      He is, replaced Sam Warburton. I think he's going to be auditioning for the part.

Comment

Ah, of course. Forgot that, well remembered. Did he take over Sam's role as "breakdown coach" then?

Comment

All looks confirmed, good call AE :

Warburton was replaced by Gethin Jenkins as Wales' breakdown and technical advisor in October. Jenkins is set to primarily take over the defensive duties for the Autumn Nations Cup.

Comment

Five major Welsh rugby figures leave WRU in just 24 days

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Warburton and Ryan Jones amongst them. Perhaps it's just something in the water.

Comment

Any idea what's happening in Wales?

Rumours of player power removing Hayward. Pivac didn't convince in dealing with them either.

Comment

This cryptic tweet also points to it being a "player power" issue, referencing as it does the infamous Scrum V episode with Allie after Mike Ruddock was pushed out by the players in 2006.

https://twitter.com/welshdalailama/status/1325422011057905666?s=21

It would be no surprise to hear the players didn't know or understand what the defence coach wanted them to do as that's how they've played for the last year.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-11-2020, 19:15.

Comment

Nothing cryptic about that tweet really.

The Shaun Edwards way was simple, effective and everyone bought into it. Gethin Jenkins will do something similar I expect. Back to basics in all forms.

Comment

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Liam Williams, Jonathan Davies, Owen Watkin, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rhys Carre, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Shane Lewis-Hughes, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Jake Ball, Aaron Wainwright, Lloyd Williams, Callum Sheedy, George North.

An unchanged side then as Tipuric who was originally selected returns.
                                                    The bench is interesting, Dee was not in the original squad returns, Lee recovers from injury, Ball replaces Hill, Wainwright is on the bench, Sheedy will be tied to Wales if gets on and North will get to 100 caps.

A side of experience to get Pivac out of a hole.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X