No announcement yet.

Darts - the whole freaking lot about fat blokes flinging pointy things at sisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WDF Press Release - doesn't really add any more to what has already been mooted. The WDF major tournaments are the interesting bit. Expect to see a WDF World Championships with the first being held in the Netherlands is my guess - especially with the NDB no longer giving BDO points as part of the Dutch Open - this being the largest open in World Darts with 4,000+ participants.

https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/01/13/...lans-for-2020/

The World Darts Federation would like to make our member countries and their players aware that we are currently revising our senior rankings criteria, so to launch a brand new system for 2020.

Discussions are ongoing between the WDF Executive, our nations and our commercial partners to ensure that our “2020 vision” of a viable global circuit for all players becomes a reality, with the addition of brand new WDF major tournaments within the next 12 months.

The WDF season runs from January to December and we will begin the calendar year with new tournament categories of GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE. We will also be introducing regional ranking tables for both men and women, to the benefit of all of our players worldwide. Full details will be announced in the coming days.

It is evident from the regular updates to our calendar with over 40 different countries already signed up for the 2020 season, that we have the full support of our members worldwide. This system is being developed by the WDF, on behalf of the nations that form the WDF.

All of the information that you require will be published as soon as it is available. We can reassure you that it would be beneficial to compete on the WDF circuit, with additional incentives soon to be announced.

Our first senior tournament of the year is the Las Vegas Open (January 17-19), followed by ranking events in Australia, Iceland and Canada. In mainland Europe, the season begins with two of our premier weekends, the Romanian Darts Festival (January 24-26) followed by the iconic Dutch Open Darts.

For information on how to enter these events, please see our WDF calendar page.

Comment

Nick Kenny - who played in the BDO World's last week - has released details of the prize fund that the chairman has been so coy about in the past week following an email the players received last night:

Men’s
      Winner £23000
      Runner Up £10000
      Semis £5000
      Quarters £4000
      Last 16 £3000
      Last 32 £2000
      Last 40 £1500

Women’s
      Winner £10000
      Runner up £4500
      Semis £2000
      Last 8 £1000
      Last 16 £500

I'm not sure about how it's affected the earlier rounds - but the men's winner and runner up has reduced by £77k and £20k respectively!!!!

It hasn't gone down well with a lot of the players and supporters on the BDO fan sites on Facebook.

Comment

Response from Runner up:

Comment

If Jim Williams spent £3k on staying in London for a week he needs to get on booking.com. And he can fuck off moaning about having to pay tax.

But yes, the prize fund reduction will surely now end any pretention the BDO had of even being the Championship of darts to the PDC's Premier League. It's more like the Vanarama.

Comment

I don't think he's moaning about paying the tax itself - more how the prize fund has dwindled so much. He would have been taxed a lot more on £30k and it wouldn't have been mentioned.

This is a big time for Jim - he failed Q-School last year - without even getting close to a tour card. Then made up some crap about not really wanting one. He became a first time father in September so this week will really be the judge of whether or not he's going to be able to make a career in the game. I know him through a family friend, and he's a genuinely nice guy so I hope it works out for him.

Comment

The WDF tour - will practically replace the BDO one...

https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/01/17/...jors-for-2020/

The World Darts Federation is delighted to announce our intentions for the 2020 season and a brand new world ranking structure.

The WDF are fully committed to establishing two new major tournaments within the next 12 months.

The first will be a ‘World Masters’ style multi-board event for men, women and youth that will provide the opportunity for players from all member countries to compete, including the winners of every WDF sanctioned event in the calendar year.

We will also be launching an end of season finale in the traditional format of a staged ‘World Championship’ type event, where the top men, women and youth players within our global system have the opportunity to become WDF champions.

The WDF ranking system now includes over 100 events from almost 50 countries in 2020 and is explained in detail below. These include a number of “Gold” events, which will see their champions promoted directly into our new major competitions.

We will also look forward to announcing news of additional staged international events under the WDF banner in the near future.

Further details on the dates, location, prize fund and the full qualification criteria for our new major tournaments will be released as soon as it is available.

Our WDF youth system is also a priority. It will be fully reviewed in the coming weeks and further details of qualification for the majors will be announced.

We would like to emphasise that 2020 will be a transitional year for the World Darts Federation and that no tournament restrictions will be made regarding seeding, format or prize money. A clear structure and definitive rules with regards to the 2021 WDF calendar and the world ranking system, tournament seeding, playing format and prize structure will be issued in due course.

Comment

Well the big news from the PDC Q-School wasn't Fallon Sherrock (who fell early everyday bar one) but Lisa Ashton becoming the first woman to officially win a tour card through Q-School (two previous women have held them but they were awarded to them for being winner and runner up in the PDC Women's World Championship which was only held once).

Whilst you cannot take away Fallon's achievements in the World Championships, calling herself the "Queen of the Oche" is a bit much when she has never won a Women's World Championship and was even too afraid to take part in this years due to how it might impact on her marketability. Lisa, and Mikuru Suzuki, are by far the best female darts players on the planet and it's great for the game that Lisa earned her card on the weekend.

Comment

Ashton has a 25-7 record against Sherrock so that's pretty convincing, though Suzuki and Sherrock appear to have met only twice, with a win apiece?

Comment

PDC Masters on this evening with cycling's Ned Boulting commenting.
                    https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/1223284716964646914?s=19

Comment

Draw and schedule:
                      https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/31/maste...oney-12160500/

Comment

I like Ned Boulting, he always seems to be genuinely interested in whatever he's presenting or reporting on.

His reporting from Whaddon Road on the last day of the 2008 League One season on ITV's The Championship is fantastic - genuinely one of my favourite videos on Youtube. Cheltenham staying up with a goal 3 mins from time might have something to do with that though as well.

Intrigued to see what he's like tonight.

Comment

The BDO is all but officially dead.

With the liquidation of BDO Enterprises a few months ago meaning no World Trophy, World Masters or World Championship, in the last few weeks counties have been making a decision about which governing body they wish to play under going forward. Two new organisations - Tri-Nations (TN) and United Kingdom Darts Association (UKDA) - put their cases forward, along with the BDO (officially BDO Ltd).

TN was basically BDO lite - it's main runners being people who have been involved in the BDO for many years and I believe even included Sue Williams (the BDO Chair before Des Jacklin). UKDA on the other hand were a bunch of ex-County folk who simply want to run the BICC (British Inter-Counties Championship). Whereas TN and BDO have been bickering and slating all proposals, with horrible forms and spelling/grammatical errors galore, UKDA have been running along nice and professionally. They've refused to get into slanging matches, and simply refuted (with evidence) any shit that was thrown at them.

As a result, one by one, the counties have been announcing that they're joining the UKAD. A few stated they would remain BDO (Cornwall and Isle of Wight for example) and last night all but 7 counties had agreed to join UKDA.

Today, Des Jacklin has posted on Facebook that his county, Lincolnshire, took the decision last night to join UKDA as running a league with 7 teams simply wasn't doable - the 6 remaining counties are expected to follow.

So there it is - 47 years after Olly Croft created it - the BDO is dead. It lasted 10 months after Olly's death - albeit he was ousted around 10 years ago. I've no doubt he's spinning in his grave about some of what's gone in the past 12 months. The absolute joke of a World Masters and the less said about the final BDO World Championships the better.

Amateur darts still has some things going for it - the WDF maintain that a new World Championship and new World Masters will happen, albeit likely next year now instead of this year due to COVID. There is also the JDC and MAD which are PDC affiliated. MAD and UKDA have agreed that they will work together.
                          Last edited by Simon G; 07-09-2020, 13:31.

Comment

That's a really informative post Simon, cheers. At least there's some certainty now I suppose - could it be argued that the writing was on the wall for a 'big' BDO ever since the PDC got going?

However I do have to quote this typo
                            Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                            As a result, one by one, the counties have been announcing that they're joining the UKAD.
                            and point out that, in fact, alcohol was removed from the prohibited substances list in 2018, so I should think that darts will be right at home with UKAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              That's a really informative post Simon, cheers. At least there's some certainty now I suppose - could it be argued that the writing was on the wall for a 'big' BDO ever since the PDC got going?
                              I think so - the PDC was very nearly killed off in its early days by the BDO's court case against it, but having Sky's backing really helped them. With Phil Taylor dominating, and the PDC having all of the previous World Champions they had more to sell than the BDO. However, the BDO always had the ace of having their World Championships on the BBC. As a result, more people saw the likes of Richie Burnett and Les Wallace become World Champion than watching Taylor go from strength to strength.

What really killed the BDO as a rival to the PDC was Raymond van Barneveld moving over. Once that happened, Martin Adams aside, the BDO had no big stars. Adams was always tainted as well by the fact that he never qualified for a World Championships until the original WDC/PDC boys moved over. He then didn't win a Worlds until Barney went.

The BDO struggled on after that, but when the BBC pulled the plug on Lakeside in favour of a non-ranking PDC exhibition tournament the writing was really on the wall. The last 12 months has seen it go from disaster to disaster though. From alleged draw rigging at the World Masters, to leaving Lakeside to play the World Championships in an empty room at the O2.

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              and point out that, in fact, alcohol was removed from the prohibited substances list in 2018, so I should think that darts will be right at home with UKAD.
                              You'll notice I've edited my post - that's because all of my UKDAs were typed UKAD. I'm annoyed I missed one on the edit.

Comment

A Portuguese player called Jose De Sousa won the Grand Slam of Darts, and over a hundred grand, last night, beating James Wade in the final. Five years ago he was watching darts on the telly while fitting kitchens, so there's hope for us all.

Comment

His floor game has been impressive for the last couple of years, so it's great to see him win a TV major.

That's the one great thing about darts - anyone can make it. Look at Glen Durrant - he only started on the BDO tour about 10 years ago, when he was 40. Only turned fully professional in January 2019, having made ?300k in the previous 3 years for winning consecutive Lakesides.

Comment

I got an e-mail from the PDC as a regular ticket buyer for the Worlds saying they are exploring having fans at the Ally Pally this year following the government allowing a limited spectators at indoor sporting events.

I'm not quite sure how you socially distance that crowd, mind.

Comment

Of all the super spreader proposals that I've heard emanating out of the UK that sounds like the most effective so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                        His floor game has been impressive for the last couple of years, so it's great to see him win a TV major.

That's the one great thing about darts - anyone can make it. Look at Glen Durrant - he only started on the BDO tour about 10 years ago, when he was 40. Only turned fully professional in January 2019, having made ?300k in the previous 3 years for winning consecutive Lakesides.
                                        What is a floor game?

Comment

There are two types of tournaments.in darts. There are stage tournaments and floor tournaments.

Stage tournaments are what you see on telly, usually spread over a weekend, or longer (the World Championships are 3 weeks these days). The only games are the ones you see on telly and the fields tend to be no more than 32 players. There are also (in non-covid times) crowds to watch the matches.

Floor tournaments are what the PDC call the Player's Championships tournaments. They're held in a single day and include all 128 tour card holders. If a tour card holder can't make it, then their place is made up by a challenge tour player. These are usually played in Leisure Centres and there are dart "lanes" whereby there are a number (about 12 I think) boards set up and the players play down to a winner. There are no spectators (players are allowed one guest each I think, maybe two). A lot of the big national opens on the WDF side (formerly the BDO side) are also floor tournaments until the last 4, or last 8, when the final matches tend to be played on stage.

Some players are notoriously great on the floor, but shit themselves when on the stage (Ian White for example), whereas some players, like Jamie Lewis and Dimitri Van Den Bergh, are much better stage players as they feed off the crowd when they're playing.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Personally I favour a Shed Game.

Comment

I'd love to say my garage game has improved since lockdown, but my form seems to have dropped off a cliff again.

Comment

Reading your post I’ve realised I haven’t picked up my darts in six months. They’re lying on the bench in the shed, where there are cobwebs on the board.

Not what I expected in March.

Comment

https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/12/18/...december-2021/

The WDF have announced a new World Masters event to take place in Dec 21. Unlike the BDO one which was held all around the country at different times, the WDF have agreed for the Dutch Darts Federation (NDB) to host it in Assen, where the Dutch Open (the biggest darts open in the World) is held. No news on TV yet, though I'd be amazed if Eurosport don't pick it up.

This is great news for the amateur side of the game. Hopefully their new World Championship will be announced soon, and hopefully it'll be back at Lakeside.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X