Sporting event/memory of the decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sporting event/memory of the decade

Let's include football in this one if you want. What are your sporting highlights of 2010-19?

My first thoughts are Cavendish winning on the Champs Elysees in 2012, and Jos Buttler running out Martin Guptill on 14 July. But I might need to consider a few more.

​​​​

Off the top of my head

From being there ;

Wales 3 Belgium 1 - Euro 2016 quarter-final

Australia 16 British & Irish Lions 41 - Third Test 2013

Wales 30 England 3 - 6 Nations 2013

England 25 Wales 28 - Rugby World Cup 2015

Geraint Thomas winning Tour de France 2018

Joshua v Klitschko - WBO/IBF/IBO Heavyweight Championship of the World fight 2017

Cricket World Cup Final 2019

Tai Woffinden clinching his first World Speedway Championship at Toruń Grand Prix 2013

Watching on TV :

Andy Murray winning Wimbledon 2013

The Miracle of Medinah 2012 Ryder Cup

A bit of both :

2012 Olympics/Paralympics

Two of the above events happened on the same weekend, which is quite an amazing thought.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-12-2019, 11:27.

Comment

Comment

I was trying to think of the best sporting moment of the decade and separate it from my personal loyalties.

If that's not the case, the obvious answer is Wembley, 16th May 2010. Oxford United 3 - 1 York

Comment

The Vancouver Canucks ride to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2011. The glorious ride through the playoffs, followed by the gut-wrenching disappointment of the seventh game, and the street violence that followed. Unforgettable for both the right and wrong reasons.

Comment

​​​Shocking upset of OSU

This win over Wisconsin after being 20 pt underdogs

BigTen Championship

First goal in the new building

Winning the B1G Tournament

PSU won eight wrestling championships in the decade

2015 Women’s Soccer Championship. I can’t find a video of Rocky Rodriguez’s goal

PSU won multiple volleyball championships

Spikes won two league championships

Comment

The last three Wimbledon men's singles finals of the previous decade set such a high bar that last year's only really equalled them, but it was still an incredible match.

The Miracle at Medinah definitely golf's.

The Champions League as a whole last season probably produced more drama than any in its history, even if the final was a damp squib.

From a personal point of view being there to see Usain Bolt win the men's 100m at London 2012. Not just for the performance, that may never be equalled in my lifetime, but because it feels more than seven years ago that we were genuinely proud to be British, and revelling in the greatest party this country's ever thrown.
              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 04-12-2019, 08:25.

Comment

11/30/16 - Toronto FC 5 Montreal Impact 3 AET (Toronto 7-5 on aggregate). You know how in Fever Pitch there's a long disquisition on what makes the perfect football match? This was it. Greatest match I have ever seen live in any sport. Eastern Conference Champions.

9/12/17 - Toronto FC 2 Seattle 0. MLS Champions. Victory, it turns out, is awfully sweet.

I still watch the highlights from both about once a month.

Comment

Lincoln City; The Cowley Years.

End of thread.

Comment

Funny how there are two things mentioned in this thread that have the opposite feelings for me than of the poster.

From a Clarets POV, wins over Liverpool (2-0), QPR (1-0) and Aberdeen (3-1) were memories that I will never forget.

2012 Olympics, and a couple of days at the Paralympics. As mentioned above, the best party this country has ever thrown. We have fallen so far and so quickly.

Comment

...followed by the disassembly of the Spanish in the second half.

Comment

The last month of the 2011/12 Division 3 season, in which Wednesday came from 8 points back on United to pip them to the automatic promotion spot (and then Utd subsequently lost to Huddersfield in the play off final). Very days of yore it seems now, with them riding high in the top flight and us about to go back to the third after a hefty points deduction.

Others
                        The 2010 World Cup of Spain. Iniesta's goal. Puyol's goal. Iniesta and Xavi running rings round everyone.
                        Murry winning Wimbledon for the first time
                        Halep winning Roland Garros in 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          Funny how there are two things mentioned in this thread that have the opposite feelings for me than of the poster.
                          I have a feeling I may know the answer but which ones?

Comment

Discounting this, this and this, because it's too easy just to crowbar in stuff about our own clubs, I'd make a shortlist of Andy Murray's 2012 US Open win, Wales 3-1 Belgium at Euro 2016, Ben Stokes at Cape Town and Headingley, the 2019 Cricket World Cup final, Jess Ennis's electric burst out of the blocks in the first event of the London 2012 heptathlon and Anya Shrubsole winning the 2017 World Cup at Lord's

Comment

Probably the two great Test innings of this year - Perera and Stokes. Rare WI triumphs such as the T20.

Comment

I toyed with picking Murray's US Open win in 2012 over Wimbledon 2013 but I think the latter has more resonance, both for obvious reasons and because it was on free-to-air TV on a Sunday afternoon* so really hit home.

It's worth pondering again how amazing the summer of 2012 was for British sport : Wiggins TdF win, Olympics/Paralymics, Murray's first Slam and Medinah (as part of Europe, obvs). What a few weeks.

* or early on a Monday morning for me watching in Australia.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-12-2019, 14:25.

Comment

2014 Tour de France Grand Depart in Yorkshire. The sun shone, the crowds were huge, everything worked. There's a significant part of me that doesn't want the race to come back to the region because it can't be as good.

Favourite Wednesday games I went to were v Huddersfield 2011 (4-4), promotion day v Wycombe 2012 (2-0), Leeds 2014 (6-0), the 2016 Championship play off final which is not for the game itself but rather the terrific day out as a whole and the fact that even though we lost it felt like it was the start of something big. Oh.

Others; Cavendish in the rainbow jersey in the sunshine on the Champs in 2012 as Wiggins won the thing overall, Armitstead's win in the 2015 Worlds, all of the 2019 Cricket World Cup, 2019 Tour de France, 2014 World Snooker Championship final, Jenson Button going from last to first in the never ending 2011 Canadian Grand Prix.

(Edit; and Jess Ennis winning gold in London, though I missed the moment itself by about thirty seconds as I was dashing back from watching *that* Pietersen innings at Headingley)
                                  Last edited by longeared; 04-12-2019, 13:05.

Comment

GBR-centric, the men’s 4x100m sprint relay gold of 2017. Even more parochial, Spennymoor’s last minute goal against Chorley to swing the National League North title race. Neutral head on though, Leicester City 15/16.

Comment

It's not the end of the decade until next December

Comment

Rare WI triumphs such as the T20.
                                        Yeah fair dos. Brathwaite's assault on Stokes was staggering in the circs

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                          It's not the end of the decade until next December
                                          Literally no-one else agrees with you on this.

Comment

Going off Cheltenham Town first and foremost three best moments for me were - basing this decade being any year that starts 201*:

10/03/10 - Burton 5-6 Cheltenham - to be at this game was truly something to behold. 2-0 down at half-time. Brought it back to 2-2 within 15 mins of the second half. Then 4-2 down, then 5-3 down as we hit the 88th minute. 3 goals in 6 mins to win the game. Truly outstanding.

07/01/12 - Tottenham 3-0 Cheltenham - my hometown team taking on the team I'd supported since the age of 4. This was the dream tie, the only time I have ever wanted Spurs to lose a game. The draw for this game was made 8 years ago today - I still bloody love Li Tie (ex-Everton player) for drawing our number out to go to White Hart Lane.

16/04/16 - Cheltenham 2-0 Halifax - Achieving promotion back to the Football League as Champions. The first team to do so since Lincoln in 1988. Given the opening day was the first time the 11 players had played together in a competitive game, it really was some achievement.

In other sports - I don't think anyone can discount what the Cubs achieved in 2016. To finally break the curse and win a World Series. Something I thought I'd never see. Wayne Drehs report on it for ESPN is a fantastic read.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                              You're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Then they pronounced phœnix as foe-nicks when they were at school.

And are morons

Comment

It's the end of a decade all the time. Just depends where you decided to start from.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X