No announcement yet.

All roads lead to Aigle: Pro Cycling 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Froome says he's staying at Ineos for TdF, apparently.

What is the latest speculation on the Tour a) happening and b) with spectators, given that France are apparently going to let 5000 people in to stadia soon.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-06-2020, 10:03.

Comment

The ASO are playing their cards very close to their vest, rather unlike some of the football types who are musing on having full houses for the cup finals.

It looks incredibly likely to happen, though, and there has always been a tacit acknowledgement that it is impossible to police the entire route.

Comment

Right now I think it will happen, unless there is a second wave in France and / or the races earlier in August are shown to be a vector of transmission for the virus (either within the peloton or the wider population.) Not sure what the spectator situation will be, don't think the organisers will be encouraging the usual camper van types to go and there will probably be some form of bubble around the finish, similar to what we saw in Paris - Nice.

Comment

There is also a good chance that they will eliminate the publicity caravan

Comment

Feeling a bit down this evening, as Mrs M and myself were due to be flying to Nice tomorrow morning for the Grand Depart (me) and a couple of days of sun thereafter (her).
            The writing was on the wall from early March, then flights, accommodation etc. were all cancelled as soon as the Tour was postponed, and I'm now waiting for the insurance company to cough up for the deposits we've lost.
            Fkn Covid I'm off to have a beer.

Comment

I feel your pain, Max. I've spent the last three months pondering frequently pondering where I should have been and probably have another three months of it.

Would you go out for a stage or two if they allow it for the delayed race?

Comment

I'd love to, but there's just too much uncertainty about whether crowds will be allowed on the route or at finish lines to book ahead.
                Maybe next year.
                Last edited by The Red Max; 25-06-2020, 14:24.

Comment

The Tour de France should have started today. ITV are making up for the absence of any race at this time by re-showing the 2018 running in the usual highlights slot - rather nice to hear the theme music again I have to say. There's other editions I'd prefer to have seen (Wiggins, last year's epic) but this should scratch the itch enough. A lot of the Sky wins tend to merge into one another in my mind and them previewing the race had me trying to remember what went wrong for Porte / how Bardet disappointed me / which one was this for Cavendish (he got eliminated in the Alps, I think) / how many stages Sagan won / did Movistar win the coveted team prize and going "oh yeah" at things like the cobble stage on World Cup final day and that silly grid gimmick on the short stage.

The first few minutes were taken up with Froome's salbutamol case which seems to be pretty much forgotten now, Boardman talked about there being a lot of ripples from this. Fair to say they disappeared pretty quickly. Also incredible to think that this is currently the last Grand Tour in which Froome took the start.

Comment

I really enjoyed watching that. Alpe d'Huez apart, I can't remember who won any stage so it still has some excitement to it, but it doesn't have the worry that G is going to crash at any moment. I think Porte blows this one crashing into a wall on the right hand side of the road going downhill. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Confirmed that Froome is joining ApartheidNation

Comment

Vomit

Comment

Ex-Sky to be branded as the INEOS Grenadiers for le Tour

Comment

More vomit

Comment

The incomparable AVV wins the first Women's World Tour race following the restart with a solo breakaway on the final climb in Navarra.

Just the kind of news we all needed.

Comment

Aw, I wanted to watch that but the hinted-at stream didn't materialise. There is a good one for today's men's race though, stage one of the Sibiu Tour (Nikodemus Holler won the prologue) - https://livestream.com/romania-live-events/ts2020

Comment

I like how from a casual glance Romanian flags look a bit like Pride flags. Quite a lot of people watching this race, markedly fewer masks in evidence.

Comment

Even worse, the Ineos ‘Grenadier’ is a 4x4...

Comment

I'm watching a real actual live bicycle race involving real riders outdoors on real roads. Think this is the first time I've done this since the GP Samyn at the beginning of March. That finish looks a bit punchy.

Comment

And there's another win for Bora as Felix Grossschartner jumps at the bottom of the final climb, gets a handy tow off the motorbike and comfortably holds off the peloton.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                          Even worse, the Ineos ‘Grenadier’ is a 4x4...
                                          I'm pretty chill with the Grenadier thing as it means I'm likely to have a semi-continuous Fall earworm for the duration of the Tour (assuming it happens).

Comment

Six in two days

https://twitter.com/sadhbhos/status/1288449410087690243

Comment

AVV wins Strade Bianche, continuing her absolute domination of the restart

Comment

I definitely have not missed Kirby

Comment

I just came on here with the intention of expressing exactly the same thought.

Anyway, here goes WvA...

Comment

Wowt!

I really don't get the Kirby hate. I prefer Matt and Magnus, but he's still streets ahead of the ITV mob.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X