No announcement yet.

All roads lead to Aigle: Pro Cycling 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC that was a combined race (similar to what the Czechs and Slovaks do these days) with the British national professional championship. It pissed it down all day and Brian Smith won in his Motorola season.

Looking through the results today I see Adam Yates finished in 44th place in the front group. That would have been very easy for him to sit at the back / get dropped and ship five minutes or more. So despite what he and his team keep saying he hasn't completely abandoned GC yet to go stage hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      Two interesting factoids that surprised me

Bennett becomes only the second Irish rider to win a stage in all three Grands Tours, with the first being neither Kelly nor Roche

He's also the first to win a Tour stage as Irish champion
      Shay Elliott?

TG4 get slightly excited at the Munster man's success (both Tipp and Waterford claim him):

https://twitter.com/SportTG4/status/1303355159846690818

Comment

This is great too, I so hope he can hold on to the green jersey ;

https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1303381380865425408?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1303654469511589888

Comment

Sagan angling for some free time over the next few days there

Comment

Think Sagan will get relegated to last place on the stage for that.

Comment

And relegated he is, along with getting a points deduction. He's 68 points behind Bennett now for the green jersey, so that's going to be very hard to make up unless Bennett doesn't make it through the mountains or gets Covided out.

Comment

I wonder if Sagan will abandon and prepare for the Giro

Comment

Having a woman and a man framing the podium looks pretty daft.
                    The bloke invariably stands there looking like a macho plonker while the women are invariably relaxed and graceful.

(maybe that's my ingrained prejudices due to wokeness deficit or something)

Great sprint finish all the same

Comment

Well, the large majority of the women have been doing this gig for several years, whereas the guys have were recruited a week or two before the start.

My guess is that it will prove a transition to no "eye candy" at all. I like the alternative tradition of having local junior hand out the prizes

Comment

Comment

I felt for Van Aert today. He could have won that stage but for Sagan's jostling and pushing him sideways which I'm convinced took away the half wheel he needed for victory. No wonder he looked pissed off.

Comment

He seemed genuinely shocked in his post-race comments, in a way that a pure sprinter like Ewan or Bennett would not have been.

Comment

Really pleased for Hirschi after his bravery on Sunday came to nothing.

Comment

Great outcome today. It still seems that almost every stage this year has produced a great race or story.

Comment

The way Sunweb run their team absolutely baffles me at times, but then they're capable of creating and succesfully executing a plan which uses everyone to take a win like that.

Comment

Ms Felicity sings “how Wout van Aert” to the tune of How Great thou art when he crops up in these sprints. Which is quite apt, really.

Comment

Oh, Romain.

Comment

GO SLOVENIA

Comment

Najlepša hvala

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Fine ride from Dani Martinez to outwit the Bora duo and win the stage. INEOS did a Movistar and did a load of work on the earlier climbs, then Pogacar attacked towards the finish and immediately dropped Bernal. He's almost a minute behind Roglic on GC now so will need all that back and more before the final time trial. Ho ho ho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post
                                                Nice.
                                                Cannes

Comment

Bardet's not going to start tomorrow *sniff* as he's concussed following his crash today. Which kind of begs the question as to why he was allowed to continue riding at all - cycling's meant to have concussion tests now.

First little signs of Covid troubles for the race this evening - the Col de la Biche and Grand Colombier climbs on Sunday are both going to be closed to spectators. The stage at Lyon tomorrow also has a large area either side of the finish line to be cordoned off. Still think the race will make the Planche des Belles Filles next Saturday but wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Paris stage binned during the week.

Comment

They haven't been able to convince spectators to wear masks and maintain a decent distance from the riders on the climbs, and the level of anger in the peloton has been rising each day.

This was the only thing they could do.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X